• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Paul Ryan Destroys Medicare and Medicaid in 3... 2... 1...

Mindovermaster    1,400

DHGRTEDJHUYUTFCKTGUSXDET65URFDUJRFDSXRTYGSX4743!!!!

The countdown to the greatest day in U.S. Speaker of the House and Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan’s life has begun. He’s dreamed about it since his frat days. If all goes as planned, by Christmas, he’ll end both Medicare and Medicaid as we have known them. There’s only one step left until he can claim victory.

As a reminder, Medicare is the program that you pay into your whole life, and then get medical out of when you get old. Medicaid is a program you pay into and then, if you or your children become impoverished, your family can get medical care. For example, Medicaid covers people in nursing homes and children born with serious health issues.

Ryan isn’t a fan of the programs. He thinks they encourage people to be lazy. Of course, he has yet to explain how becoming elderly is due to laziness or how having a child with serious medical needs is due to laziness. Ryan really doesn’t like rich families and corporations having to pay taxes towards programs that help less-rich people. After all, as a rich person grows old, they can likely afford most medical costs, and if a rich person has a child with serious medical needs, his or her deep pockets can cover the costs.

Unfortunately for Ryan, basic economics opposes him; for insurance programs to do what they are meant to do, you can’t cherry pick who is in them. Basic democracy also opposes him; a basic task of any democratic government is to create a system where everyone can access the medical care they need....

source: https://shepherdexpress.com/news/issue-of-the-week/paul-ryan-destroys-medicare-and-medicaid-in-3-2-1/#/questions/

There goes my life...

chingon    21

Shepherd express, lol. How about balance that nuttery out with alex jones nuttery.

• Like 1

+warwagon    11,343

Wasn't Obama the one who extended Medicaid to people who it was never intended for. Once you give them something free it's hard to take it away.

• Like 1

PGHammer    517
19 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Wasn't Obama the one who extended Medicaid to people who it was never intended for. Once you give them something free it's hard to take it away.

This is NOT a new issue - and it has nothing to do with the ACA except indirectly.  The issue is, in fact, QMB (Qualified Medicare Beneficiary) - it is meant to address Medicare Beneficiaries that are also STILL below the poverty line and functions as an adjunct to Medicaid.  The biggest issue with SSDI (and a long-standing one, in fact) are the non-physically-disabled (especially, but not just the mentally-ill) and those with non-obvious physical disabilities - it affects veterans with the same issues, too.  The very reason for QMB, in fact, is that basic Medicare was NOT designed to deal with BPL recipients; however, Medicaid supposedly was (which is why it's an adjunct to Medicaid).  Another problem is that mental illness CAN be used to hide Medicare fraud/Medicaid fraud (it's hard to diagnose to begin with, all too often, such a diagnosis is a lifetime "curse" - you never get better - and Ghu help you if you also have a physical illness unrelated to the "curse" - such as any form of cancer - which is a 24-karat basterd in and of itself).  In other words, I'm not blaming Paul Ryan, as the problem predates him.  Fraud IS a problem; however, how do you address it without denial of benefits to those that actually need them?

Clownsun    0

I find it ironic how they can say this yet they will still want people who work to give them part of their check

PGHammer    517
On 12/14/2017 at 1:50 PM, chingon said:

Shepherd express, lol. How about balance that nuttery out with alex jones nuttery.

Actually, it is a real publication aimed at the "in need" community (such as NAMI - the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) - it used to be a print-only publication - so *nuttery* it isn't.

It has its name because groups such as NAMI do indeed act as "shepherds" to the "in need" (the "sheep").

DocM    14,231
Posted (edited)

Settle down

Under the current Medicare program, available to anyone 65 or older, the system pays health care providers for services. Beneficiaries pay the cost of deductibles and co-insurance.

Ryan's proposal would not affect current Medicare beneficiaries and individuals who become eligible before 2023/2024. 

Starting in 2023/2024, newly eligible beneficiaries would receive a "premium support payment" to purchase private insurance or a plan that acts like traditional Medicare

As far as raising the eligibility age for new beneficiaries, that's done periodically in order to keep the trust fund solvent. Reps do it. Dems do it. 

Edited by DocM

PGHammer    517
7 minutes ago, DocM said:

Settle down

Under the current Medicare program, available to anyone 65 or older, the system pays health care providers for services. Beneficiaries pay the cost of deductibles and co-insurance.

Ryan's proposal would not affect current Medicare beneficiaries and individuals who become eligible before 2023. 

Starting in 2023, newly eligible beneficiaries would receive a "premium support payment" to purchase private insurance or a plan that acts like traditional Medicare

Also, those same new recipients would not face the biggest problem with traditional Medicaid - non-portability across state lines.  Traditional insurance is portable by design - so is Medicare; however, Medicaid is designed to be NON-portable. (No - the ACA did NOT fix this - and it certainly could have.)

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have both Medicare and Medicaid (specifically, QMB - Medicaid assistance for Medicare beneficiaries) - it is secondary to Medicare.  However, like traditional Medicaid, it is non-portable across state lines.  I also have two forms of cancer - colon and prostate cancer - fortunately, both have been caught in stage one.  While my primary care physician and my oncologist are both in Maryland (and fortunately they are within a mile of each other office-wise), my surgeons (plural) are both in Virginia (again, both are within a mile of each other - fortunately for me, both accept Medicare and Medicare patients).  To create a surgical map (remember - two surgeries), a specialized MRI is needed - Virginia actually had the closest facilities; however, because Medicaid - not Medicare - would be billed, Virginia was a non-starter.  Result - I had to stay in Maryland and go sixty miles away.  This is far from fun - and for most Medicaid patients, this is often worse than i had it.  Why am I saying that the ACA could have fixed this?  Before the ACA, there were several "demonstration" programs in several states designed to address this specific flaw IN Medicaid - and Maryland was, in fact, one of the participating states.  Medicaid enrollees had the choice of either a PPO-style plan or an HMO-style plan - in Maryland, both were run by United Health Care.  I went with the PPO-style plan, because it was what I was used to - and said plan got a baptism of fire, as I needed emergency gallbladder surgery - and because of the priority nature, I went to a Washington, DC-based hospital to have the actual surgery.    Why was this not an option in Medicaid today?  (You can't take Medicaid benefits across state lines - even in the same SMSA; Maryland recipients can't go to Virginia; Virginia recipients can't come to Maryland.  BOHICA for both.  (Notice that this is specific to Medicaid - which is for the in-need - and does not apply to Medicare.  It's why I can have my two cancers excised in Virginia - Medicare is, in fact, portable across state lines.)