Hello and Bye Neowin

I just wanted to let you know that after 5 years of reading Neowin i will remove the site from my RSS feeds and never read it again, as of the last 2 years this site has gone more and more into biased politics and i can't stand it anymore.

I want to read about technology not about what politician you hate or what policies that have basically 0 influence on what this site is about you don't like, goodbye Neowin and thanks, i hope you achieve your goal of becoming the next buzzfeed-like site.

28 minutes ago, Markoff said:

I just wanted to let you know that after 5 years of reading Neowin i will remove the site from my RSS feeds and never read it again, as of the last 2 years this site has gone more and more into biased politics and i can't stand it anymore.

I want to read about technology not about what politician you hate or what policies that have basically 0 influence on what this site is about you don't like, goodbye Neowin and thanks, i hope you achieve your goal of becoming the next buzzfeed-like site.

Yeah, er, thanks for that.

Oh no......

A guy who only joined less than an hour ago, to post about how he's leaving after 5 years??

Yeah, RSS, right, that usually redirects to front page news.

Oh well, not like it affects us 

• Like 3

You spent 2 years reading biased politics and made a decision today? You could have created an account 2 years ago and given this valuable advice then when things were starting to go south. Just saying. Neowin is still a good place for technology related news. But its the community that makes it much more than a technology related news site.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

You know, we should be encouraging him to stay, not to leave. His feedback is perfectly valid. Politics has become more prevalent the past few years on Neowin. 

Has it really, though? On the front page?

I agree with the OP, the site is becoming more and more commercial (a bit too much sponsored content for my taste). I know it has to make income but still it is moving away from the users. I joined neowin almost 10 years ago and read it for a lot longer (came from another site warp2search) but nowadays don't read the news or visit the forums too much.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Jub Fequois said:

Has it really, though? On the front page?

Well if we encourage him to stay, it will become apparent that the Domestic Politic section is the most active part of Neowin. Remember most members lurk for years, then eventually decide to participate in the forums. If he is already noticing an increase in political articles, that can't be a good thing.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, neoraptor said:

I agree with the OP, the site is becoming more and more commercial (a bit too much sponsored content for my taste). I know it has to make income but still it is moving away from the users. I joined neowin almost 10 years ago and read it for a lot longer (came from another site warp2search) but nowadays don't read the news or visit the forums too much.

I think there's a way to hide the sponsored content from showing up on the front page when it's labeled as such. Look at your user profile or settings.

29 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

Well if we encourage him to stay, it will become apparent that the Domestic Politic section is the most active part of Neowin. Remember most members lurk for years, then eventually decide to participate in the forums. If he is already noticing an increase in political articles, that can't be a good thing.

Yeah but I think most users see a difference between the forums and the front page. I assume there must be a lot of visitors who never even see the forums and just stay on the FP.

That said, yes, we have seen a few articles on the front page that used a remote connection to technology to talk about politics, or some titles that were just plain clickbait. I don't think they're the majority, but there are some.

Edited by Brys
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Brys said:

Yeah but I think most users see a difference between the forums and the front page. I assume there must be a lot of visitors who never even see the forums and just stay on the FP.

That said, yes, we have seen a few articles on the front page who used a remote connection to technology to talk about politics, or some titles who were just plain clickbait. I don't think they're the majority, but there are some.

Good point.

There's enough to make this guy leave. Perhaps a filtering system for political articles can be introduced. Kinda like the ones we have for the Deals, Mini Spy, and NSFW content. This would help avoid upsetting readers who don't want to read that sort-of stuff on the front page.

Even guests can block sponsored content, the link to instructions is in each of those articles. Judging the whole site by its (user generated) forum content is stupid plus political sections are blocked from guest view (so we don't encourage signups just for that). Open to all feedback, but not stupidity.

40 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Even guests can block sponsored content, the link to instructions is in each of those articles. Judging the whole site by its (user generated) forum content is stupid plus political sections are blocked from guest view (so we don't encourage signups just for that). Open to all feedback, but not stupidity.

+1

There it is, in a nutshell

OP was just a cry for attention

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Exactly. Members can choose what they want to read. There are plenty of technical articles and forum discussions to be a part of. Members can start discussions on topics of their choice (within our community rules, of course). Adulting isn't that difficult.

51 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I believe OP's issue is with articles like these. The filtering systems you currently have in place do not cover articles with political based content written by the news staff.

5 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

I believe OP's issue is with articles like these. The filtering systems you currently have in place do not cover articles with political based content written by the news staff.

Not directed at you, it's just that you linked the article, also I think OP may have gone AWOL :p

These articles whilst related to politics are focussed (IMO) more on tech. I think the writers here do a great job to keep articles exactly like this, unbiased. 

3 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Not directed at you, it's just that you linked the article, also I think OP may have gone AWOL :p

These articles whilst related to politics are focussed (IMO) more on tech. I think the writers here do a great job to keep articles exactly like this, unbiased. 

Eh probably.

While that's true, OP clearly didn't see it that way. Maybe just maybe, he originally thought he could come to Neowin to escape from any mention of politics.

3 hours ago, Xahid said:

Good bye, I don't like political discussion too, and always ignore it.

this.

how hard is it to ignore the politics? .. just scroll past it. :/

43 minutes ago, Barney T. said:

Exactly. Members can choose what they want to read. There are plenty of technical articles and forum discussions to be a part of. Members can start discussions on topics of their choice (within our community rules, of course). Adulting isn't that difficult.

Umm.... :p

OP has a point.  Most active forums are the political ones.  I remember when the Back Page and a lot of the tech forums were really active.   The politics area wouldn't be so bad but you have a few members who have to make trouble/troll in areas, derail topics, and causes them to be closed.  And that is what frustrates lots...the users left to run amock.  Post quality, and user quality, has really dropped over the years.  And seems like there are more members attacking others as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LimeMaster said:

You know, we should be encouraging him to stay, not to leave. His feedback is perfectly valid. Politics has become more prevalent the past few years on Neowin. 

Agreed.  The guy has a point.

50 minutes ago, Jase said:

this.

how hard is it to ignore the politics? .. just scroll past it. :/

Ignore the RWN forums, then not much else to look at.  A lot of forums are just not to active.