Hello and Bye Neowin

50 minutes ago, Andrew said:

This is just my opinion, and not the view of the staff as a whole, but removing the political forums will not resolve the issue of member activity. Unfortunately giving politics a space on the site was the beginning of the problem IMO and the damage happened years ago when those members left. Removing the political forums now will only hurt the site more with further members leaving. Even those members who claim to dislike the political forums are gluttonous for punishment and can't help themselves but post there. I'd wager that some of the same people asking for a political filter on FPN wouldn't even use it, and we'd still see them complain about the presence of the articles or comments in the FPN from them; just as we do with Domestic Politics despite the forum filter. I'd love for the tech sub-forums to be repopulated but removing politic content won't achieve that. And really, we shouldn't want to remove political content because it's so important and is very relative to technology today. We have just grown to hate it in our online space because people can't discuss the topic like civil adults. More on that later.

I used to think that forums were a dying platform, but with ResetEra only forming 35 days ago and watching it grow steadily, I was obviously wrong. Even they have political topics and I don't see any issues so far. We have all of the same sub-forums as Reset (albeit in a different layout) and nobody really wants to take advantage of them here at Neowin. Our members gravitate towards politics and expect someone else to post content in non-politics. How do you even begin to tackle that?

As for the trolling, either in political topics or elsewhere, we say time and time again to report it and very few actually bother to. Most of the time when we do get a report, we actually find far more wrong in the topic than is reported and we have to clean up pages of content. We see people enjoying the trolling and they do it in groups, taking matters into their own hands. Even then, the people on the receiving end won't alert us to the problem and the cycle repeats.

Reminds me of when we were chased out of a metro thread. We made our own thread, and then the chase drama followed us there...

9 hours ago, Luc2k said:

Do you understand how meaningless that Trump/Twitter story is even if you're actively crusading? For example, what insight or change has that last article brought the world from either a tech or political point of view? While I don't know Neowin's current demographics, some of us are not from the US or live there, so we're not kept awake at night because Trump farted on Twitter.

This political crap is everywhere online and it is all just noise.

Ugh - people have an odd definition of "political"

Huge social media site deletes world recognized media/political figure by mistake perhaps hilighting how their own rules don't apply to a tiny subset of their own members.

That is tech news on managing social media. Period.

I said this about 2-3 years ago. Honestly the Politics/RWN forums should be removed. At least that's what I would do if I wanted a successful tech site, followed with other changes to increase participation in the tech forums. However anything that draws page views generates ad-revenue, so nothing is going to change.
That's why I rarely go to the forums. And also pro Microsoft articles are crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely post in here but I just wanna put in my two cents. 

I hate the political (and religion too!) portion of this forum. One case I remember back in 2007, on a deaf forum I participated since 2003, that forum admin actually closed the Religion portion bc he saw the fights breaking out and friendships being broken. He felt that religion (and politics as well) is indeed such a sticky-as-flypaper subject. The mods back then agreed and then he closed it.

Methinks maybe Steven P needs to close that portion in THIS forum too, I dunno? Any thoughts?

really? the politics did it? not the bashing and shadenfreude against Microsoft? not the worthless education and training bundles they are trying to sell?

10 minutes ago, MtnDewCodeRedFreak said:

I hate the political (and religion too!) portion of this forum. One case I remember back in 2007, on a deaf forum I participated since 2003, that forum admin actually closed the Religion portion bc he saw the fights breaking out and friendships being broken. He felt that religion (and politics as well) is indeed such a sticky-as-flypaper subject. The mods back then agreed and then he closed it.

Methinks maybe Steven P needs to close that portion in THIS forum too, I dunno? Any thoughts?

no... but it also shouldn't be posted on the front page or showing up in rss feeds. both of those need to be all business.

really? the politics did it? not the bashing and shadenfreude against Microsoft? not the worthless education and training bundles they are trying to sell?
no... but it also shouldn't be posted on the front page or showing up in rss feeds. both of those need to be all business.
I've been reading this site for a while. I feel like they always been "pro Microsoft" and post ###### ton of Microsoft news. Even if their phones are dead, they still trying to find news making up that business still uses it.

Neowin has evolved as has the whole internet. The internet is now basically a safe room whine zone for millenial’s. Man bun’s feeling each other’s pain and other areas.

On 12/16/2017 at 12:19 AM, MtnDewCodeRedFreak said:

LOL 

I wish the Religion Thread was still active.  I absolutely loved handing out daily butt-kickings in there. 
(then again, it was kind of like beating up toddlers in cribs)

Here's my take on it.

We live in a world where people get offended easily, demand a six figure salary on a liberal arts degree, and heaven forbid you look at them funny you will find the lawsuit in your mailbox the next day.

If you have a dissenting political view, by all means, engage in a mature argument with those who disagree with you. If you see something you don't like, ignore it. All in all, i find Neowin quite useful. The site has may friendly faces and i will be coming here till the cows come home, or you know there's a catastrophic event with this big rock of ours called Earth.

• Like 2

I agree. I don't get why politics must consume everything. I frequent various forums, generally tech related..and they all have political sections, why?

Other than a few 'general chat' forums, we don't need anything outside of tech and the forum should only contain discussions about what the site is intended for.

If I wanted to talk about those things I'd find a forum based around that subject.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, game_over said:

I agree. I don't get why politics must consume everything. I frequent various forums, generally tech related..and they all have political sections, why?

Other than a few 'general chat' forums, we don't need anything outside of tech and the forum should only contain discussions about what the site is intended for.

If I wanted to talk about those things I'd find a forum based around that subject.

Exactly!!! GMTA and you took the words right outta my mouth. Thank you! 

I can tell you I am broken up he is leaving.. I never know he was here for how ever long he said he has been here.. But it hurts.. :rolleyes:

There are many sections of neowin I do not frequent.. The politics and religious sections are just 2 of them.. I also don't hang out in the gaming section or media sections.. But I have posted a few times in the religious section.. I can not help myself sometimes if had 1 too many adult beverages ;) hehe

His cry for some sort of attention.. Which since he is gone - how would he even get such attention?  Defeats the whole purpose of being an attention ###### doesn't it?

Oh my there are too many fans of xbox vs ps4 here.. I don't play either of them or even read the threads - but I just can not frequent a board that allows fanboys to squabble... :rolleyes:

I say don't let the door hit you on the way out.. These such nonsense posts are worse than the squabbling that goes on in any other threads I do not frequent in IMHO ;)