Person of the Year: Time honours abuse 'silence breakers' - #MeToo

Person of the Year: Time honours abuse 'silence breakers'

Time magazine has named "the Silence Breakers" - women and men who spoke out against sexual abuse and harassment - as its "Person of the Year".

The movement is most closely associated with the #MeToo hashtag which sprung up as allegations emerged against Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

But Time says the hashtag is "part of the picture, but not all of it".

"This is the fastest-moving social change we've seen in decades," editor-in-chief Edward Felsenthal said.

He told NBC's Today programme that it "began with individual acts of courage by hundreds of women - and some men, too - who came forward to tell their own stories".

Source and full article: BBC News

13 hours ago, wakjak said:

Good. 

This has lead to a very large movement that cannot be ignored any longer. 

I hope so.  I tend to believe as long as people value getting wasted over keeping their facilities intact stupid things will continue happening.

14 hours ago, wakjak said:

This has lead to a very large movement that cannot be ignored any longer. 

The removal of the presumption of innocence?  The ability to destroy a career with a few words?  I am torn on this because obviously I support victims but there's a hashtag associated, it's become a popular trending topic, I can't take it entirely at face value.

People coming forward decades after a supposed act really is never going to lead to any case.  The benefit I DO see here however, is that these people may create an environment where people come forward immediately without fear of being victim blamed.

But let's not forget - we are talking about grown women (predominantly) who wanted something from men who could facilitate a career.  Power abused sure, but also it's not been stated by any of these women that they outright said no, and then the men forced themselves - it's all "Oh he asked me to do this, and then touched me - I felt really uncomfortable".  Remorse...

Edited by Nefarious Trigger
  • Like 4

I do not agree with the guilty before proven so take on all of this.  Not  how things should work.  Now anyone can make an accusation, true or not, and some will lose their job or have their reputations destroyed.