Video Shows Officer Fatally Shooting Unarmed, Pleading Man

23 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Physics man. What goes up must come down.

Pretty much.  And have been reports of being being killed when shooting in the air.  This is illegal in some areas.  Imagine walking down the street and a stray bullet comes down and hits you.

18 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Glad to see some do not care about stray bullets coming down and hurting people but like to condemn police for shooting unarmed people.

Who, What, Why: How dangerous is firing a gun into the air?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-14616491

Firing a bullet in the air is stupidity at its finest and majorly irresponsible.

Come back with a study taking into account the incident rate of occurrence and the size of Russia.

Actually, don't, just leave it, and make sure you don't get shot by the very people whose job is to protect you.

and just FYI, no one fires a series of shots from an AK47 as a warning in Russia.

A US study found that 118 people were treated for random "falling-bullet injuries" at one Los Angeles medical centre between 1985 and 1992, resulting in the deaths of 38.

Thesedays, thousands are killed by the police each year at point blank range.

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Come back with a study taking into account the incident rate of occurrence and the size of Russia.

I didnt single Russia out here, you did.  Heck, I did not even disagree with the your unarmed comments. 

Do a little research on how many people are killed each year on stray bullets.   Hell, 2 people die on average per year in Puerto Rico on new years with a couple dozen more injured.

Actually, don't, just leave it, and make sure you don't get shot by the very people whose job is to protect you.

I have zero worries as I know that there are a ton more good cops than the bad ones. 

Nice that you are only concerned about what the police do to unarmed people but have no worries about innocent people who are killed.  Firing a gun in the air is just as stupid as killing an unarmed person.

If you do not care about innocents and the facts, then by all means keep disliking/disagreeing with my posts.

• Haha 2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

United States

July 1, 2017: A 13-year-old boy, Noah Inman, was struck in his head and killed while playing basketball in the street.[22]

January 1, 2017: Armando Martinez, a Texas state Representative, was wounded in the head by a stray bullet during a New Year's celebration.[23]

January 1, 2015: A 43-year-old man, Javier Suarez Rivera, was struck in his head and killed while watching fireworks with his family in Houston.[24][25]

July 4, 2013: A 7-year-old boy, Brendon Mackey, was struck in the top of his head and killed while walking with his father shortly before 9 p.m. amid a large crowd prior to the fireworks display over the Swift Creek Reservoir.[26]

January 1, 2013: A 10-year-old girl, Aaliyah Boyer, collapsed after being struck in the back of the head while watching the neighborhood fireworks in Eklton, Maryland. She died two days later of her injuries. [27]

July 4, 2012: A 34-year-old woman, Michelle Packard, was struck in the head and killed while watching the fireworks with her family. The police believe the shot could have come from a mile away.[28]

January 1, 2010: A four-year-old boy, Marquel Peters, was struck by a bullet and killed inside his church The Church of God of Prophecy in Decatur, GA. It is presumed the bullet may have penetrated the roof of the church around 12:20AM.[29]

December 28, 2005: A 23-year-old U.S. Army private on leave after basic training fired a 9mm pistol into the air in celebration with friends, according to police, one of the bullets came through a fifth-floor apartment window in the New York City borough of Queens, striking a 28-year-old mother of two in the eye. Her husband found her lifeless body moments later. The shooter had been drinking the night before and turned himself in to police the next morning when he heard the news. He was charged with second-degree manslaughter and weapons-related crimes,[30][31] and was later found guilty and sentenced to four to twelve years in prison.[32]

June 14, 1999: Arizona, A fourteen-year-old girl, Shannon Smith, was struck on the top of her head by a bullet and killed while in the backyard of her home.[33] This incident resulted in Arizona enacting "Shannon's Law" in 2000, that made the discharge of a firearm into the air illegal

December 31, 1994: Amy Silberman, a tourist from Boston, was killed by a falling bullet from celebratory firing while walking on the Riverwalk in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Louisiana. The Police Department there has been striving to educate the public on the danger since then, frequently making arrests for firing into the air.[34]

July 4, 1950: Bernard Doyle was killed in his seat while attending a New York Giants game at the Polo Grounds. The bullet was determined to have been fired by Robert Peebles, a juvenile, from an apartment building some distance away on Coogan's Bluff, presumably in celebration of Independence Day.[35][36][37]

Just the US alone.   And some penalties associated with it....

In Arizona, firing a gun into the air was raised from a misdemeanor to a felony by Shannon's law, in response to the death of a 14-year-old from a stray bullet in 1999.[44]

In California, discharging a firearm into the air is a felony punishable by three years in state prison. If the stray bullet kills someone, the shooter can be charged with murder.[45][46]

In Minnesota, it is illegal to discharge a firearm over a cemetery, or at or in a public transit vehicle. Additionally, local governments may regulate the discharge of a weapon within their jurisdictions.[44]

In Ohio, discharging a firearm or a deadly weapon in a public place is classified as disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a fine of up to $2,000.[47]

In Texas, random gunfire is a Class A misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum one year in jail and $4,000 fine. Anyone who injures or kills someone with a stray bullet could face more serious felony charges.[3]

In Wisconsin, criminal charges for this type of offense range from "endangering safety by use of a dangerous weapon" to "reckless homicide" in the event of a death, with penalties ranging from nine months to 25 years in prison."[5]

And there is more out there if people want to actually read and understand on how random shooting weapons in the air can injure or kill people.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trag3dy said:

Because like I said, there is so much potential there for involving innocent bystander's unintentionally, especially in a place like an apartment complex where pretty much any direction you choose to point your gun people would be there.

(Y)

The reason for making a warning shot is to actually draw attention and give a situation its last chance of trying to resolve it without hurting anyone.

If all else fails, shoot at a limb.

Why shoot to kill when being given the slightest excuse to do so is beyond me.

51 minutes ago, ctebah said:

<snipped>

The snarkiness and childish responses never ends with you does it?

For the most part this thread was going along nicely, civil and reasonable responses, and then you start with your little wise-ass quips and emoji abuse.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, Raze said:

For the most part this thread was going along nicely, civil and reasonable responses, and then you start with your little wise-ass quips and emoji abuse.

(Y)  It is ok for some for innocents to be killed and not unarmed people.  Personally, I think they are both bad.  But hey, not like I posted any links/facts to backup what I was saying.....and I was not even disagreeing with the OP.

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

The reason for making a warning shot is to actually draw attention and give a situation its last chance of trying to resolve it without hurting anyone.

How would you safely fire a warning shot in an occupied building?

10 minutes ago, Raze said:

I'm a simple man, when I see a ridiculous comment that an actual human being typed out, I laugh.

28 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

and just FYI, no one fires a series of shots from an AK47 as a warning in Russia.

Thesedays, thousands are killed by the police each year at point blank range.

Maybe a thousand, but definitely not thousands.

Police interact with hundreds of thousands of people every year. ~1000 fatal shootings is actually pretty low. You do not hear about the overwhelming majority of these shootings because they are completely justified.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2017/

4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Trust me, people that are so entrenched in the gun culture will always have a reason as to WHY an innocent human being got killed, or WHY the cop did it, but they will never have an idea as to how handle such problems.  

3 minutes ago, Raze said:

How would you safely fire a warning shot in an occupied building?

You don't.

You simulate it by inflating a balloon to pop it.

The point I was making is that they never do it, not even in the open air.

Just now, Mirumir said:

You don't.

You simulate it by inflating a balloon to pop it.

Of course, how could I have not thought of that.

19 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Snide remake incoming

I find it interesting that some comments have been thumbed down for their opinion. I have refrained from answering some of the comments on the grounds to avoid bickering, but my observation here is the fact that some feel so self-righteous that the police are beyond reproach. This should never be the case, they are supposed to be law enforcement and civil servants. These last few years have done more for international opinion to lead towards the contrary. 

(Y)  No one should be above the law.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Trust me, people that are so entrenched in the gun culture will always have a reason as to WHY an innocent human being got killed, or WHY the cop did it, but they will never have an idea as to how handle such problems.  

Are you sure? From what it sounds like this shooting was not justified and the guy who did it looks and sounds like a legalized thug with a lust for power.

I would 100% agree that police officers need better vetting in their hiring processes and also harsher penalties for unjustified shootings, as this one appears to be.

P.S. I've been "entrenched" in gun culture my entire life.

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

Are you sure?

Yes, 100% sure and 100% right.

Week after week, after week there are mass shootings in the States, and we are still seeing that innocent civilians are being gunned down.  The worst part?  ZERO CHANGES! 

So yes, no one is coming up with any viable ideas and no one is doing anything to change it.

I would 100% agree that police officers need better vetting in their hiring processes and also harsher penalties for unjustified shootings, as this one appears to be.

Ok, so what are you doing about it?

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

Yes. Shocking, I know.

:laugh:

Hide contents

For starters, there's an infinitesimal chance to get killed by a police-officer in Russia. Our men (and women) are so tough, they can take in a lot of abuse. And they do take it from drunkards and idiots on a daily basis.

The most common situation in which they use their firearms is a car-chase scenario. If a driver is disobeying and trying to run away, the SOP is as follows: warn verbally three times (using a loudspeaker), then give a warning shot, then shoot at the car's tires (NOT THE DRIVER'S HEAD). Show Reply

Of course, everything is situational, but believe me when I say that the Russian cops must go to great lengths to justify the use of and account for each damn bullet.

This is interesting because police in the US are not allowed to shoot at moving vehicles at all, in a car chase scenario. Tires or otherwise.

1 minute ago, ctebah said:

Yes, 100% sure and 100% right.

Week after week, after week there are mass shootings in the States, and we are still seeing that innocent civilians are being gunned down.  The worst part?  ZERO CHANGES! 

So yes, no one is coming up with any viable ideas and no one is doing anything to change it.

Ok, so what are you doing about it?

Now you're changing the goal posts. This discussion is about police shootings.

Mass shootings and gun discussion threads are elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

Now you're changing the goal posts. This discussion is about police shootings.

Mass shootings and gun discussion threads are elsewhere.

The same point and questions apply....

Innocent, unarmed civilians are being gunned down across the US by cops and no one is doing anything about it.  This is a fact.

2 hours ago, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

Yeah....but....but "Pew! Pew! 'murca!"

Also, aren't they supposed to cover a colleague while they go in to make the arrest, I always thought a suspect who they think is armed is told to lie on the ground with their arms outstretched to ensure they can't reach for a weapon, then one cop will keep a weapon trained on the suspect while the other goes in to subdue/cuff them? That seems to have been replaced now by a "see who can shoot them first" mentality.

In this hallway there was not enough room or visibility of the surrounding area. They had them crawl to them because they had their current location secured, in fact as I stated prior they often do this in traffic stops as well. They have a compliant suspect move towards them on their own so they don't have to approach the vehicle (assuming there might be an unknown or something dangerous).

2 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Maybe it's because we see so many reports of US cops needlessly escalating situations into something far worse where our own cops are carefully trained to defuse them.  Even in other countries with normally armed police, you just do NOT get the level of needless police killings as you do in the USA.  IMO, it's the gung ho attitude of US gun owners that we see so often on these very forums, that is at fault.

Depends, different countries will report on different things from their media. Just because it goes unreported doesn't mean it isn't happening, just as it being reported more often doesn't mean that it's happening more or less in actuality. Baader Meinhof is a good thing to look into for this phenomenon.

7 minutes ago, ctebah said:

The same point and questions apply....

Innocent, unarmed civilians are being gunned down across the US by cops and no one is doing anything about it.  This is a fact.

They really don't, they are 3 completely separate issues.

I find it interesting you're trying to treat them all the same.

I also like the language you use, "gunned down". Makes it sound like police are death squads going around killing people indiscriminately and it also dismisses the actions of the people who were justifiably shot.

~1000 people were killed by police in 2016 and about the same in 2017. And while that number is higher than it was a few years ago it's still not a very big number considering the hundreds of thousands of people police interact with yearly.

19 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Another option is to fart really loud.

You're welcome.

I had asked a serious question and for some reason you decided to respond with nonsense.  Maybe you were joking about firing warning shots to begin with, that would make sense since firing warning shots or at the tires of a moving vehicle is not recommended and, in fact, against the law in some states.