[urgent] Help me choose an international unlocked phone

I am in Japan and my Nexus 5X just died (boot loop issue). I've been reading about my options since then and I've ruled out trying to revive the phone for now (I might attempt it later). What I need is a new unlocked phone that will work on LTE bands 1 (2100) (in Japan) and 4 (2100/1900) (in Canada) and I must have it within 2 or 3 days. Also it should be at least as fast as the Nexus 5X and not expensive (looking to spend around 300$ and no more than 500$). Bonus points if it uses a Nano-SIM so I can just re-use my SIM card.

I can get another Nexus 5X shipped at my door tomorrow from Amazon.co.jp, which would have the advantage of giving me working parts to try and access any non-backed up files on my old phone in case everything else fails. However given this phone failed after barely a year of use I'm not that keen on buying another one. Any other options?

Thanks a lot for your help.

5 hours ago, Andre S. said:

I am in Japan and my Nexus 5X just died (boot loop issue). I've been reading about my options since then and I've ruled out trying to revive the phone for now (I might attempt it later). What I need is a new unlocked phone that will work on LTE bands 1 (2100) (in Japan) and 4 (2100/1900) (in Canada) and I must have it within 2 or 3 days. Also it should be at least as fast as the Nexus 5X and not expensive (looking to spend around 300$ and no more than 500$). Bonus points if it uses a Nano-SIM so I can just re-use my SIM card.

I can get another Nexus 5X shipped at my door tomorrow from Amazon.co.jp, which would have the advantage of giving me working parts to try and access any non-backed up files on my old phone in case everything else fails. However given this phone failed after barely a year of use I'm not that keen on buying another one. Any other options?

Thanks a lot for your help.

For that price you could source a surplus LG V20 or a Samsung Galaxy S7

Both those models are available with a variety of Radio Band options which you can check on GSMArena

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7-7821.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php

If you want to keep frequent Android major version updates, then Nexus or Google Pixel are your only options.