• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Another WhatsApp question

firebelly    41

Just bought Note 8

Can I somehow restore my WhatsApp message etc from windows phone to Android, or there is no way of doing that.

Have searched but there are very different opinions some say that it is possible while others say it is not.

Mando    5,117

backup your data in whatsapp to the cloud, then when you set up your new number, your messages and archives should restore.

firebelly    41

I have already tried that, thanks for the advice. The problem here is that the WP backup and the android backup are probably in different formats? I am looking for some software or an easier way of getting those messages back

Steven P.    13,846

When I moved from Windows 10 Mobile to Android early summer last year I did nothing but login to WhatsApp on the new phone, and after a while all my old messages started appearing on the new Android.

Unless you have specifically blocked backup, I guess they will just appear on the new phone.

+InsaneNutter    1,341

Do you have a WhatsApp folder on the root of your Windows Mobile storage? if so in there you should find a folder called Databases with various backups in.

If it's the same format used on Android devices you can copy the WhatsApp folder to the root of your storage on the Android device and re install Whatsapp (if you have already set it up) you should then be asked if you want to restore your messages from the backups.

On Android you can also back your chats / data up on Google drive, maybe you can do this on Windows Mobile also? that's another way you might be able to do it.

dipsylalapo    1,772
5 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

When I moved from Windows 10 Mobile to Android early summer last year I did nothing but login to WhatsApp on the new phone, and after a while all my old messages started appearing on the new Android.

Unless you have specifically blocked backup, I guess they will just appear on the new phone.

I didn't think this was possible. For Android and iPhone at least, Whatsapp backs up to their respective cloud clients (Google Drive and iCloud respectively) so it's not possible to restore your messages. I don't believe that Whatsapp (or Facebook I guess) store any of your chats on their infra.

Steven P.    13,846

Hmm maybe best to not trust me lol.

firebelly    41

Yea I have the backup on the sd card as well as on OneDrive, but when I install the WhatsApp on android, it doesn't pick it up. Probably it is saved in a different format, different directory structure?

dipsylalapo    1,772
4 minutes ago, firebelly said:

Yea I have the backup on the sd card as well as on OneDrive, but when I install the WhatsApp on android, it doesn't pick it up. Probably it is saved in a different format, different directory structure?

If you have the backup on an SD card it should just be a case of pointing Whatsapp to the file and making sure that file is in the right place. For Android it should be here - sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases

Have a look on this page and see if there's anything else that you missed - https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/android/20887921/#restore

If the file is in the right place and you asked Whatsapp to use it, it should just work. If there's a different structure of the file between Windows and Android and it's not reading the file, you may be out of luck unfortunately. :(

Matthew S.    998

Make sure your actually taking the backed up file and not the actual whatsapp messages database as the one that whatsapp saves new messages directly to is encrypted...

techbeck    6,907

Whatsapp FAQ says it is not possible to copy data from a WP device to Android or iOS.

https://faq.whatsapp.com/en/wp/28060005/?category=5245251

You either need a OneDrive backup or an SD card to transfer your chat history from your old Windows Phone to the new one. Unfortunately, at this time it is not possible to transfer your chat history to an Android or iPhone.

firebelly    41

Yes, that's what I have figured out too, but thought maybe someone knows more than this

techbeck    6,907

There is supposedly 3rd party software that says it can transfer the info...but I would be careful with it.