[Bug] Private Messages

So a few days ago somebody (can't remember who) mentioned that clicking a PM no longer takes you to the latest page or reply.  This only seems to be an issue when using the notification area from the forum. It works perfectly fine when using the notification area on the main site. 

I noticed this as well. Selecting messages, and going to any particular one, it goes to the first message, not the last. Like it used to...

Unless this is an option in your settings?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I paid for a bug free neowin service too, what gives?

First of all, that attitude will not get you very far (this is what you subscribed for btw https://www.neowin.net/subscribe/) and secondly the links have never taken you to the actual PM message, it is an Invision Power Services (IPB) bug, feel free to report it to them, because we already fix enough of their mess for 'free'.

42 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

First of all, that attitude will not get you very far (this is what you subscribed for btw https://www.neowin.net/subscribe/) and secondly the links have never taken you to the actual PM message, it is an Invision Power Services (IPB) bug, feel free to report it to them, because we already fix enough of their mess for 'free'.

8 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

And you need to take a chill pill, that post was meant in humour, not malice.

I don't know what's brought on this aggression towards your members, and frankly, I don't care, but this attitude you've had for the past few weeks stinks!

Peace!!!

I think that the developers are tied up with other critical issues (hopeful that only professional and not personal) in mean time. So we need to wait whether IPB fixes it first or Neowin team, which I believe would be latter.

I don't know how IPB works but if you mark the issues star (voted) (in their bug repository), they fix those on priority at least that's the case with vBulletin. @Steven P. don't we have something similar with IPB?

@The Evil Overlord Sometime different contextual comprehension for the comments happen, so I hope you can consider it that. Even when I read your comment, I didn't get it as humour. *Just my 2 cents*

Back on trail... (I know that I am not in Staff to budge in but I think we are community so I thought to give my feedback)

@DaveLegg & @Redmak

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zlip792 said:

Peace!!!

I think that the developers are tied up with other critical issues (hopeful that only professional and not personal) in mean time. So we need to wait whether IPB fixes it first or Neowin team, which I believe would be latter.

I don't know how IPB works but if you mark the issues star (voted) (in their bug repository), they fix those on priority at least that's the case with vBulletin. @Steven P. don't we have something similar with IPB?

@The Evil Overlord Sometime different contextual comprehension for the comments happen, so I hope you can consider it that. Even when I read your comment, I didn't get it as humour. *Just my 2 cents*

Back on trail... (I know that I am not in Staff to budge in but I think we are community so I thought to give my feedback)

@DaveLegg & @Redmak

Oh I agree, I even screenshot the message because I have been seeing a change, there was a time when my 'what gives' comment would have been seen as a comment made in jest. Which it was.

But I will concede, I failed to add my usual tongue smiley, to indicate I wasn't being serious.

I have given up reporting these niggling issues to IPB because they don't do much with them despite our 15 year relationship and a large part of our modifications used in the final software without any credit to Neowin or our developers (the whole warning system basically). Plus I don't respond well to the crappy attitude being shown in some threads as of late.

13 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I have given up reporting these niggling issues to IPB because they don't do much with them despite our 15 year relationship and a large part of our modifications used in the final software without any credit to Neowin or our developers (the whole warning system basically). Plus I don't respond well to the crappy attitude being shown in some threads as of late.

Interesting you say that, the site's hierarchy dictates you're the highest authority on this site, and I remember a time when stuff like that other thread never used to get you down.

But whatever, I shouldn't have to be sorry for ipb bringing out the bad in you, I've made my position clear in the pm I sent.

11 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

Interesting you say that, the site's hierarchy dictates you're the highest authority on this site, and I remember a time when stuff like that other thread never used to get you down.

But whatever, I shouldn't have to be sorry for ipb bringing out the bad in you, I've made my position clear in the pm I sent.

Way to gloss over the issue that even Zlip792 pointed out: 

24 minutes ago, Zlip792 said:

Stop trying to turn something you clearly feel entitled to into something I am supposedly doing wrong, do you think I'm a mind reader or something? 

If it was meant in jest it certainly didn't look like it.

39 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Way to gloss over the issue that even Zlip792 pointed out: 

Stop trying to turn something you clearly feel entitled to into something I am supposedly doing wrong, do you think I'm a mind reader or something? 

If it was meant in jest it certainly didn't look like it.

And way to cherry pick my comment, My response to Zlip was my acknowledgement to my mistake, I've been here long enough to see version 4 feels inferior to version 3, I also remember longer standing members commenting stating the same, and I don't have a sense of entitlement on somebody else's website, opinionated maybe.

• Thanks 1

I know you admins & devs aren't going to like my suggestion, but why don't you fix it yourselves instead of waiting months for Invision to fix it? The fix is quite simple too. Just add ?latest=1 to the part of the code which retrieves the PM. You already have it working on the main site, so it should only take a minute or two to get it working on the forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does that work for PMs without any replies though? Because hardcoding that to the link (which even I, as a non dev can do) might break PMs without replies.

38 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

I know you admins & devs aren't going to like my suggestion, but why don't you fix it yourselves instead of waiting months for Invision to fix it? The fix is quite simple too. Just add ?latest=1 to the part of the code which retrieves the PM. You already have it working on the main site, so it should only take a minute or two to get it working on the forum.

That is how it works on IPB 4.2.7 on their site currently, I think it only goes to the latest message if its unread though otherwise it starts at the top regardless of that string. I have not had a pm for a while to check though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

That is how it works on IPB 4.2.7 on their site currently, I think it only goes to the latest message if its unread though otherwise it starts at the top regardless of that string. I have not had a pm for a while to check though.

Me and lime do, it was nice clicking the link and going straight to the first unread post, I was considering making a topic, but lime had beaten me to it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Nope, even with unread messages it stays on pg 1

• Like 1