Looking for options to use phone with VOIP service like such as Google voice without active cell service

So the issue is my roommate's phone is a month to month prepaid and he does not have the funds to pay for his next months service, he has a Google voice account and can send/receive text messages, but he is looking for an option to use his phone while on WiFi to make/receive phone calls. From what I have found the methods to setup Google voice to do this requires that the phone be active (or able to receive text messages). Does anybody know of any other method to accomplish the same thing? It does not need to be associated with Google voice, but that seems to be the easiest method.

12 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Try Hangouts Dialer. You can make calls to US for free

Thanks, I passed that along to him, and he's trying it now.

OK, so it works to call out, but does not seem to ring when I call it back, is there some setting somewhere that needs to be set?

Edited by jnelsoninjax

17 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks, I passed that along to him, and he's trying it now.

OK, so it works to call out, but does not seem to ring when I call it back, is there some setting somewhere that needs to be set?

you need to head into the settings menu and enable calls. Hangouts> settings > click the account > incoming phone calls 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Timi Cantisano said:

you need to head into the settings menu and enable calls. Hangouts> settings > click the account > incoming phone calls

Thanks! I have made the changes needed!

• Like 1