Astrophysicists release IllustrisTNG, the most advanced universe model of its kind

Astrophysicists release IllustrisTNG, the most advanced universe model of its kind

Novel computational methods have helped create the most information-packed universe-scale simulation ever produced. The new tool provides fresh insights into how black holes influence the distribution of dark matter, how heavy elements are produced and distributed throughout the cosmos, and where magnetic fields originate.

newuniverses.jpg

The IllustrisTNG project

• Like 2

I applaud their efforts, but the physics model is still incomplete. The missing mass problem is still unsolved, and there's still a lot of questions regarding dimensionality that the Theorists are still working on. Until then these simulations aren't going to be accurate.

Seriously, I get that they want (and need) to keep working on these, and that's all well and good. I personally find them a bit misleading because I know better. /shrug

16 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

I applaud their efforts, but the physics model is still incomplete. The missing mass problem is still unsolved, and there's still a lot of questions regarding dimensionality that the Theorists are still working on. Until then these simulations aren't going to be accurate.

Of course it's not going to be completely accurate but if it can help further out knowledge and understanding then it must be applauded.

Is anyone actually in a position for claiming they they have most information-packed universe-scale simulation ever produced.  :/