Fines for sagging pants? South Carolina Democrats support proposed new state law

COLUMBIA, S.C. (WCIV) — A proposed state law is looking to establish monetary fines and community service as punishment for people who get caught sagging their pants in South Carolina.

The bill would make it unlawful for a person to appear in public wearing "his" pants sagging more than three inches below the "crest of his ileum" (the top of his hips), thus exposing skin or undergarments.

Violations would be a "noncriminal offense," the proposal says, but violators would be subject to fines.

On the first offense, a person could be given a fine of up to $25. On the second, the fine would be up to three hours of community service and a $50 fine, or both.

On the third offense and any thereafter, the fine would be $75, six hours of community service, or both.

Representative Wendell Gilliard (D-Charleston) co-sponsored House Bill 4957, which was introduced Feb. 15.

Gilliard stressed getting involved with HB 4957 because he wants to set an example.

“We have to lead by example," Gilliard says. "It is necessary because it’s not getting any better.”

Gilliard says he first sponsored an ordinance while in city council to get young men to “wear their pants properly. " Ten years ago, he said, people thought he was “crazy” to do such a thing.

According to Gilliard, the situation is getting worse than it was 10 years ago.

“The pants now are being worn below the knees," the former Charleston City Councilman says.

Another reason Gilliard says he is a co-sponsor of the bill is because he wants men to be treated the same as women.

“If a female was to go around in the same fashion, pants down by their ankles or below the waist, we would see that as indecent exposure,” Gilliard says.

The bill is predominately sponsored by Democrats (eight), three of whom are from the Lowcountry. Rep. Joe Jefferson (D - Berkeley), Rep. Robert Brown (D - Charleston) and Rep. Lin Bennett (R - Charleston) are also among the co-sponsors.

Gilliard said he has seen all “creeds and races” with sagging pants and believes that what impacts one race impacts all races.

Source

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I hate saggy pantsbut doesn't this fall under the same statement if female wears a dress or a clothing showing more skin it's some like sexual mating call you might as well make people wear drapes.

Against making this illegal, but yesterday I did see a guy who I wasn't even sure how he could walk. His pants were at the end if his boxers just above his knees. In my mind, it just makes the police job of chasing you easier when you commit crime (and let's face it this particular style of idiot dress is associated with crime).

Jesus Christ...  Listen, I hate sagging pants as much as the next guy, but unless the sagging results in indecent exposure, there's no reason to start FINING people...  *SMDH*

41 minutes ago, The Rev said:

Jesus Christ...  Listen, I hate sagging pants as much as the next guy, but unless the sagging results in indecent exposure, there's no reason to start FINING people...  *SMDH*

I agree. Just shoot them instead! :p

• Like 1