'BOOM!' | Driver recovering after bizarre car explosion in Woodlawn [Maryland]

Link....

'BOOM!' | Driver recovering after bizarre car explosion in Woodlawn

A car in Maryland exploded on Thursday after the person inside sprayed aerosol deodorant before lighting a cigarette, police said.

The incident was described as “a sudden and violent expansion of the air molecules,” Baltimore County Police spokeswoman Jennifer Peach told The Baltimore Sun.

The man reportedly had the air conditioning on and the front windows down as he used the spray. But after he lit the cigarette, the car blew up, she said – busting out the roof, doors and smashing the front window.

>

post-10-0-50570300-1520120684.jpg

There's often alcohol in spray deodorant and other sprayables, but in recent years the propellant was changed from compressed CFC's to other gases including liquified petroleum gas and nitrous oxide. When the valve is opened some propellant gassifies, pushing out the product mix and some propellant.

Gassified PG/N2O + alcohol + fire are not healthy to be around. One adds more fuel, the other more oxidizer. Lose-Lose.

"Hello, State Farm. May I help you?"

"My car blew up!"

"OMG!! WHAT HAPPENED? ARE YOU OK?"

"Inside car..deodorant..cigarette.."

CLICK!! 

Edited by DocM

• 3 weeks later...

This area is famous (and infamous) for three reasons:

Woodlawn is home to the Social Security Administration and the Health Care Finance Administration (Medicare) - their joint campus is on Security Boulevard (named after the former - the two used to be both part of the Social Security Administration).

Interstate 70 ends rather ignominiously at the Woodlawn Park and Ride less than a mile from the campus.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:08 PM, DocM said:

“a sudden and violent expansion of the air molecules,”

Pretty much the textbook definition of an explosion. :D

What did that idiot think would happen introducing a flame into a confined space with flammable accelerant?  I vote for moving this to the Jokes forum! :laugh: