Falcon 9: Iridium NEXT #5 (satellites #41-50) (mission)

I sincerely hope it's a one-off. Otherwise there are gonna be a LOT of seriously upset people at SpaceX -- and then they'll get to work designing a WAY better system that uses a different frequency TX/RX for signalling just to spite NOAA.

12 minutes ago, DocM said:

William Harwood @cbs_spacenews
F9/Iridium5: NOAA public affairs officer says he's not aware of any NOAA restriction on Falcon 9 rocketcam video 

3 hours ago, DocM said:

Arrgghhhh...friggin' bureaucrats!!

.... so only now is it an issue? [fleeping] [bleepities]. Anything to be disruptive, huh. ONLY a bureaucrat would pull a stunt like this. 

1 hour ago, Unobscured Vision said:

.... so only now is it an issue? [fleeping] [bleepities]. Anything to be disruptive, huh. ONLY a bureaucrat would pull a stunt like this. 

"YOU MUST RESPECT MY AUTHORITY" - Mr Bureaucrat

Just sounds like they are pushing their weight around due to the StarMan cameras. 

• Like 2

/sigh

1435385f-547b-43d7-9713-4dcbd8bc48d8.jpg

http://www.noaa.gov/media-release/noaa-statement-on-todays-broadcast-of-spacex-iridium-5-launch

NOAA statement on today's broadcast of the SpaceX Iridium-5 launch

March 30, 2018

The National and Commercial Space Program Act requires a commercial remote sensing license for companies having the capacity to take an image of Earth while on orbit.

Now that launch companies are putting video cameras on stage 2 rockets that reach an on-orbit status, all such launches will be held to the requirements of the law and its conditions.    

SpaceX applied and received a license from NOAA that included conditions on their capability to live-stream from space. Conditions on Earth imaging to protect national security are common to all licenses for launches with on-orbit capabilities.

:s Really?!

So imaging Earth, with no ability to image ground-based anything, is still an issue?

And people wonder why the Visitors won't simply land, pop the hatch, and say "hi" in broad daylight .... meh. I'm so done.

1 hour ago, Unobscured Vision said:

:s Really?!

So imaging Earth, with no ability to image ground-based anything, is still an issue?

And people wonder why the Visitors won't simply land, pop the hatch, and say "hi" in broad daylight .... meh. I'm so done.

There are cubesats which needed a permit because they had a SIF (320x240) webcam. Others not. Very arbitrary.

• Like 1

If SpaceX fans create a big enough ###### storm aimed at NOAA, they will back down. That's one agency that can't handle negative press about itself. 

• Like 1

Hello, nurse!!

For having a high speed "landing" the recovery  test fairing half looks intact. Pics at the link.

Teslarati....

Despite a statement from SpaceX CEO Elon Musk that the Iridium-5 missions fairing recovery attempt had failed due to a twisted parafoil, Teslarati captured photos of clawboat Mr Steven arriving in the Port of San Pedro early Saturday morning with an apparently intact fairing half.

• Like 1

Yep, just slightly folded on the right-hand side of the clamshell at the bottom third section (top of image). Much easier to see here. Sadly I doubt that could be pulled back into flight tolerances.