Toys R Us to close all 800 of its U.S. stores

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, neufuse said:

who said toys? I was taking about stores going away.. warwagon mentioned walmart and I continued on that.. newborns don't need toys, it's not hard to get what I was saying from my statement above

Either he was just kidding around or he forgot newborns are little ###### machines.

In the early 90's i went to one in Delta, BC, Canada to buy a TurboGrafX 16 video game console for i believe a little over $300.

I don't recall ever being inside one other than that.

It is a bummer though.. when i was a little kid i loved to browse the toy section in some stores even if you didn't have money.

But we knew this was coming though.. they already announced financial losses in past news reports.

• 6 months later...

Geoffrey LIVES!!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2018/10/03/toys-r-us-comeback-new-name-but-same-mascot-geoffrey-remains/1507832002/

A Toys R Us comeback? New name, same mascot Geoffrey emerge in post-bankruptcy plan

Toys R Back?

Not quite, but the first signs of how the financial firms who carved up Toys R Us plan to resurrect the iconic brand from the ashes of its bankruptcy and liquidation have started to emerge.

The lenders who own a key piece of the old Toys R Us have revealed that they are keeping the corporate brand names and intellectual properties, including Geoffrey, the brand's giraffe mascot, and are dipping their toes back in the toy business with a wholesale venture called Geoffrey's Toy Box. 

That new venture, for the time being, is being operated out of the Toys R Us headquarters building in Wayne, where a small number of former Toys R Us executives and employees continue to report to work.

Played a role in shutdown

Geoffrey, LLC, a subsidiary of Toys R Us that owns the companies intellectual property rights, and controlled by lender groups that provided financing during the bankruptcy and that have been criticized for the role they played in the shutdown, issued a press release late Tuesday saying it is working on a plan that could bring "new and re-imagined Toys R Us and Babies R Us stores" back to the United States.
>

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Yup, but does that mean the brick and mortar stores are coming back?  Or will they do what Bergners did and go online only?

Not yet...according to that article, wholesale first and hopes to have  "pop ups" in larger stores for the holidays.  They have hopes to relaunch stores down the road, again according to that article. 

dipping their toes back in the toy business with a wholesale venture called Geoffrey's Toy Box. 

They are also saying they hope to have pop-ups in place inside the stores of a regional mass merchant in time for the holidays, and to relaunch Toys R Us and Babies R Us stores down the road.

23 hours ago, sc302 said:

Not yet...according to that article, wholesale first and hopes to have  "pop ups" in larger stores for the holidays.  They have hopes to relaunch stores down the road, again according to that article. 

Ahh, ok.  Thanks.  I read a different article so didn't bother to read the OP.  The one I read didn't cover this.