U.S. loses bid to halt children's climate change lawsuit

(Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Wednesday rejected the U.S. government’s bid to halt a lawsuit by young people claiming that President Donald Trump and his administration are violating their constitutional rights by ignoring the harms caused by climate change.

By a 3-0 vote, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco said the administration had not met the “high bar” under federal law to dismiss the Oregon lawsuit, which was originally brought in 2015 against the administration of President Barack Obama.

The potentially far-reaching case is one of a handful seeking to have courts address global warming and its causes.

Full Article @ Reuters

What the <beep>?? As a kid I loved Woolly Mammoths, so can I sue somebody because all the Mammoths were killed by climate change when the last ice age ended? My constitutional rights are being violated!

48 minutes ago, branfont said:

which was originally brought in 2015 against the administration of President Barack Obama

So how is this a lawsuit against President Trump when it was filed before he even became President, give me a break.  Trump's Administration is doing their legal obligation to fight any lawsuit accusing the government of wrong doing.  Based on this standard we should all sue the government for not making sure we have a debt free future.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, domboy said:

What the <beep>?? As a kid I loved Woolly Mammoths, so can I sue somebody because all the Mammoths were killed by climate change when the last ice age ended? My constitutional rights are being violated!

the funny thing is, the thing that's causing the climate change now is the same thing that caused it back then!

38 minutes ago, ncoday said:

Not surprised; the 9th Circuit is so liberal they would allow a lawsuit that has no hopes of being successful, means absolutely nothing

It's all for show... i started ignoring this so called noise from the media.

The other part I find absurd: according to the source article "Twenty-one plaintiffs, now aged 10 to 21..." which means when this was filed, the youngest was 6 or 7 years old. I have a six year old kid... suing the government over climate change and his constitutional rights being violated are concepts that would never enter his little mind, and include some words that aren't even in his vocabulary yet. I kind of hope some of these kids someday sue whoever is using them as tools in this ridiculous case.

43 minutes ago, macrosslover said:

So how is this a lawsuit against President Trump when it was filed before he even became President, give me a break.  Trump's Administration is doing their legal obligation to fight any lawsuit accusing the government of wrong doing.  Based on this standard we should all sue the government for not making sure we have a debt free future.

Exactly.  The Solicitor General (the government's "trial lawyer") is on the hook for any lawsuit where the United States or agencies thereof is being sued.  Exactly who is the Chief Judge of this particular District Court?  (The Chief District Court Judge - not the Chief CIRCUIT Judge - makes the decision at the District Court level.)  The "rocket docket" (United States District Court, Alexandria, VA - in the "Old Town" section of the city) got its name because of their speed of which cases pass through the docket - it habitually has the fastest docket among all one-hundred-plus District Courts - despite being in the second-most-liberal circuit - the Fourth.  Given that this court gets MORE cases than even the District Court for the Federal District makes the speed of their docket even more shocking.