What OS for HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

8 hours ago, Class said:

Still off topic. If you dont have anything constructive to say, why bother to comment? What are you, a danish troll or something? ?

**PS: this applies pretty much to all of your replies so far.

I've given you constructive advice, but all the time it's can't do that, can't do this, I can only do it this way. I'm also not Danish, I have already told you that I'm from the UK.

Don't forget it's you who asked for help. Good luck with your project and please post updates as it will be interesting how you get on :)

On 6/26/2018 at 10:56 AM, Ready2018 said:

I've given you constructive advice, but all the time it's can't do that, can't do this, I can only do it this way. I'm also not Danish, I have already told you that I'm from the UK.

Don't forget it's you who asked for help. Good luck with your project and please post updates as it will be interesting how you get on :)

My general question was about 1 thing. Which OS would you recommend using on this HPE hardware. You gave advice on pretty much everything else, totally off topic. I've checked 4 times and this is still the titel and still my question. I wanted to know if people have experience in using this hardware with which OS.

As sad, recently I didn't have time to install windows 10 on it, but i've already googled, for some people drivers are a problem. But also read that the prototype of this had no problems with windows 10, so might be that the final product had some hardware changes in between. I will confirm once I've installed it.

BTW. ESXi was working fine on it, but as people recommended, if not really needed, then it's a cannot shooting at pigeon, so that why I've changed to rather use rather a barebone OS. Also the Marvell RAID is not support in ESXi, which is a bummer. :( Or did anybody manage to get RAID setup in ESXi?

7 minutes ago, Class said:

My general question was about 1 thing. Which OS would you recommend using on this HPE hardware. You gave advice on pretty much everything else, totally off topic. I've checked 4 times and this is still the titel and still my question. I wanted to know if people have experience in using this hardware with which OS.

As sad, recently I didn't have time to install windows 10 on it, but i've already googled, for some people drivers are a problem. But also read that the prototype of this had no problems with windows 10, so might be that the final product had some hardware changes in between. I will confirm once I've installed it.

BTW. ESXi was working fine on it, but as people recommended, if not really needed, then it's a cannot shooting at pigeon, so that why I've changed to rather use rather a barebone OS. Also the Marvell RAID is not support in ESXi, which is a bummer. :( Or did anybody manage to get RAID setup in ESXi?

I understand that the original point was "Which OS would you recommend" but I did answer on the fact that you would have issues no matter what OS you installed on the device.

I hope this does not come across as being rude or offensive, but you do come across as a novice and the HPE hardware are not for novices, that's why I recommended it might be a good idea to look for hardware where you could easily install an OS without having all these issues to deal with. It's called the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid)

So I have the older Gen8 and have a similar set up to you. 

Disk 5 has the OS and the other 4 are in a RAID config. It is a bit of a pain to install, because you have to install a few drivers before hand and then go into the regular Windows installation. 

Looking at your use cases (file and media server) this is what I do and have no issues with the Windows set up and it's stable as hell. 

I used Home Server Show a lot when looking at issues - https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/10769-problems-installing-windows-10/ for example has some good tips on how to install Windows. 

With regards to VPN and VLAN...not really my domain so can't comment :)

51 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

So I have the older Gen8 and have a similar set up to you. 

Disk 5 has the OS and the other 4 are in a RAID config. It is a bit of a pain to install, because you have to install a few drivers before hand and then go into the regular Windows installation. 

Looking at your use cases (file and media server) this is what I do and have no issues with the Windows set up and it's stable as hell. 

I used Home Server Show a lot when looking at issues - https://homeservershow.com/forums/topic/10769-problems-installing-windows-10/ for example has some good tips on how to install Windows. 

With regards to VPN and VLAN...not really my domain so can't comment :)

A lot has changed since the Gen8, the Gen10 is way more problematic and the link only refers to Gen8, for Gen10 see: https://homeservershow.com/forums/forum/201-microserver-gen-10/

12 minutes ago, Ready2018 said:

A lot has changed since the Gen8, the Gen10 is way more problematic and the link only refers to Gen8, for Gen10 see: https://homeservershow.com/forums/forum/201-microserver-gen-10/

Ah and here's me thinking that it was mainly just a hardware refresh!

32 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Ah and here's me thinking that it was mainly just a hardware refresh! 

Don't worry, i made the same mistake, because bought it right away, shortly after release I've managed to get one for 200EUR and thought it's a bargain, because the Gen8 is even more expensive. ?

1 hour ago, Class said:

Don't worry, i made the same mistake, because bought it right away, shortly after release I've managed to get one for 200EUR and thought it's a bargain, because the Gen8 is even more expensive. ?

You must have had your Gen10 for a long while now then, as it was released back in July 2017

1 hour ago, Ready2018 said:

You must have had your Gen10 for a long while now then, as it was released back in July 2017 

Yes, bought it end of 2017.

Isn't ClearOS derived from CentOS?  Why not give CentOS a go?