• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Recommendation always on/instant on RDP Terminal.

conna    92

I have a client that needs to use a thin client or dumb terminal device to connect to his Windows 10 desktop.   They want it to quickly power on or wake up and present just a simple desktop with one or two RDP shortcuts to their desktops.   No apps or programs on the thin client device, other than the RDP program.  1080 Resolution support is needed.

A quick search reveals that there are many devices and solutions but I am looking for your recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Joe User    410

I don't have any personal experience, but I've heard good things about HP's thin client lineup.

You could also make a thin client with a stick pc from Amazon pretty easily. The Intel Compute Stick CS125 is about $125, comes with W10 x86 installed, you could create a limited user account with Remote Desktop as the only assigned program. Has an advantage of being able to be reused for other tasks if needed.

• Like 3

conna    92

Ended up pulling an old Dell desktop out of storage and running Linux Mint on it.  It auto logs into a desktop that autostarts remminia RDP client.  I have the saved RDP connections dialed in except for the password.  I would like to make the remminia sessions a shortcut by themselves, on the desktop, but so far it's working.

InsaneNutter    1,059

If you need to do that again in the future a low power use option could be a Raspberry Pi, which are around £30 (probably more £50ish with the accessories + sd card you might need) You could install FreeRDP on the Pi and use that.

• Like 1