Judge strikes down sodomy law in Trinidad and Tobago

A judge in Trinidad and Tobago has declared the nation’s laws banning sodomy and consensual homosexual acts are unconstitutional, a ruling that could potentially lead to the complete decriminalization of homosexuality.

Judge Devindra Rampersand of the High Court of Trinidad and Tobago ruled on Thursday that Sections 13 and 16 of the Sexual Offenses Act are unconstitutional as applied to acts between consenting adults.

The court will meet again in July to determine whether the sections of the law should be struck down in their entirety or just in part.

LGBTQ activist Jason Jones challenged the colonial-era sodomy law in February 2017 by suing the nation’s attorney general, claiming that the prohibitions on “buggery” and “acts of serious indecency” between two men violate his — and, by extension, other LGBTQ people’s — right to privacy and freedom of expression.

Full article @ Metro Weekly

51 minutes ago, NJL said:

Good. Whatever your views on LGBT issues, there's no need to make the act illegal.

agreed. as much as you or me dont like it, making it illegal is above and beyond..  

unless you are are personally buggering kids, for which you should hang, consensual sex should not be in the books 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy #1 said:

agreed. as much as you or me dont like it, making it illegal is above and beyond..  

unless you are are personally buggering kids, for which you should hang by your scrotum, consensual sex should not be in the books 

FTFY

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DConnell said:

FTFY

lol. does not matter. if you molest kids you should die a most painful death . I used hanging as an example

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jimmy #1 said:

unless you are are personally buggering kids, for which you should hang, consensual sex should not be in the books 

Why bring paedophilia into a sexuality thread?  The two are absolutely unrelated.

On 4/14/2018 at 7:11 AM, NJL said:

Why bring paedophilia into a sexuality thread?  The two are absolutely unrelated.

I think because people who hear the word gay automatically think they diddle children, and that's a common homophobic misconception which is usually learned from their parents.  I have a few gay friends, and none of them go after kids.

13 minutes ago, branfont said:

I think because people who hear the word gay automatically think they diddle children, and that's a common homophobic misconception which is usually learned from their parents.  I have a few gay friends, and none of them go after kids.

I hear the word gay and don't have that association.  Nor does anyone I know.  What an odd link for people to make.

1 minute ago, NJL said:

I hear the word gay and don't have that association.  Nor does anyone I know.  What an odd link for people to make.

Nor do I. 

• Like 1

i've certainly heard (some) people try to link homosexuality with pedophilia when a man molests boys or something like that. I've even come across people trying to associate it with bestiality or incest when marriage equality comes into discussion.

Good for Trinidad and Tobago! Keep it going now :)

And as for the homosexuality and pedophilia link talk, I'm fairly certain I've heard "commenters" on FOX News try to pass that off a few times. Even the FOX hosts usually shoot them down on that one though.

1 hour ago, muratoner said:

i've certainly heard (some) people try to link homosexuality with pedophilia when a man molests boys or something like that. I've even come across people trying to associate it with bestiality or incest when marriage equality comes into discussion.

When a man molests a boy, that sounds like a proper link then, right?

11 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

When a man molests a boy, that sounds like a proper link then, right?

No? Not even if he sexually assaults an adult male. Him being gay has nothing to do with the criminal act, his victims may be a specific gender but him being gay doesn't actually make him do that crime.

2 hours ago, muratoner said:

No? Not even if he sexually assaults an adult male. Him being gay has nothing to do with the criminal act, his victims may be a specific gender but him being gay doesn't actually make him do that crime.

Lol ok. You clearly misunderstood what I said. I never said anything about him/her being gay making them do the crime.