Van plows into crowd in Toronto, nine dead, driver in custody, cops say

Toronto cops nabbed the suspected driver who plowed into a group of people on a crowded city street Monday afternoon, leaving nine people dead. 16 people have been injured, Deputy Police Chief Peter Yuen said.

Police confirmed to Fox News the arrest of the suspect, which came just minutes after news of the incident broke. "The van involved in multiple pedestrians stuck in the Yonge and Finch area of Toronto has been located and the driver arrested," Toronto police tweeted. The identity of the driver has not been released.

Cops initially said eight to 10 people were hit near Yonge Street and Finch Avenue just before 1:30 p.m. A nearby hospital tweeted that it took in seven patients. 

After striking the pedestrians, the driver sped off, CBC reported. 

Photos from the site of the collision showed pedestrians attempting to help people on the ground and multiple bodies covered by sheets. 

A witness who identified himself as Nick said he was studying when he saw a truck “flash by” in the area. He said he “witnessed a few people pass away in front” of him as others screamed.

More....

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/04/23/van-plows-into-crowd-in-toronto-nine-dead-driver-in-custody-cops-say.html

I believe his last name is Armenian, 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564

Ten people are dead and 15 others are injured after a van driver plowed into a number of pedestrians Monday in the Yonge Street and Finch Avenue area of North York in Toronto.

One suspect is in custody.

CBC News has confirmed that Alek Minassian, a 25-year-old Richmond Hill, Ont., man, is the alleged driver in the attack. His LinkedIn profile identifies him as a student at Seneca College.

Government officials briefed on the investigation so far say the suspect is not associated with any organized terrorist group and he does not represent a larger threat to national security.

>

Edited by DocM

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.  Seems you can't legislate evil out of a person's heart.  Where there is a will there is a way.

1 hour ago, macrosslover said:

Thoughts and prayers for the victims and their families.  Seems you can't legislate evil out of a person's heart.  Where there is a will there is a way.

Agreed about the thoughts & prayers. And yes, evil finds a way to do evil. 

I thought the Canadian cop not shooting despite being goaded with a gun pointed at him was poignant. From my time on countries like the UK and Australia this is what I'd expect, and I wonder how policy here at large viewed this

I was up that way a lot circa '98/'99 as I used to live in a homeless youth shelter that is in the general area, so I'd be at the North York Central Library which is right beside Mel Lastman Square.  Granted Finch is about 13 blocks north of the library.

What worries me about this [terrorist] attack, is that I'm going to be in Toronto for the CNE this August because of my job and if any place is ripe for an attack, that's the place, well one of them.

Edited by branfont