robocallers and telemarketers app

i've been using Hiya for a while now. it's free and very simple. not sure how effective it is, though. i've dabbled with TrueCaller, but that one requires an account, so i havent signed up yet.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:31 PM, Bruinator said:

Can someone recommend a free app that will block robocallers and telemarketers

I highly recommend TrueCaller, it is the easiest app I have found to block spam and other unwanted calls  

13 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I highly recommend TrueCaller, it is the easiest app I have found to block spam and other unwanted calls  

Can someone give me an idea on how to use the basic features of truecaller in their own words please? I would greatly appreciate it.

thx

5 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

Can someone give me an idea on how to use the basic features of truecaller in their own words please? I would greatly appreciate it.

thx

By default,Truecaller blocks known (reported) spam/telemarketing numbers, it also makes it very easy to block numbers (one touch to block), the only issue is that it takes a certain number of reports to block a number by default, and that even if a number is on your block list, the call will still ring in on call waiting (I have reported this issue to them and they are working on it). Basically if the number calling you has been marked as spam, it will show X number of spam reports under the name of the caller as well. You also have the option to block hidden numbers (any caller that shows their number as unknown), and if you want you can use Truecaller as a text message program and use it to block spam text messages as well.

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

By default,Truecaller blocks known (reported) spam/telemarketing numbers, it also makes it very easy to block numbers (one touch to block), the only issue is that it takes a certain number of reports to block a number by default, and that even if a number is on your block list, the call will still ring in on call waiting (I have reported this issue to them and they are working on it). Basically if the number calling you has been marked as spam, it will show X number of spam reports under the name of the caller as well. You also have the option to block hidden numbers (any caller that shows their number as unknown), and if you want you can use Truecaller as a text message program and use it to block spam text messages as well.

Do u use the free version or the pro version plz? If u have used both, which one do u like better?

thx

2 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

yes, i use it on my landline and it is awesome.

Dang! Quoted me before I could even fix my message! :)

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I meant how do i use it in general in ur own words plz?

thx

1 hour ago, Bruinator said:

Do u use the free version or the pro version plz? If u have used both, which one do u like better?

thx

I have the pro version, the only difference is pro=no ads, and unlimited number lookup

52 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

I meant how do i use it in general in ur own words plz?

thx

Exactly as I said, I never have had an issue with telemarketing calls, but I do get a few "right number, wrong person" and most of the time they are collections and I block them so that they don't call me again. I use it to ID who is calling me before I answer, and to block the spam calls.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:35 AM, Jason S. said:

i've been using Hiya for a while now. it's free and very simple. not sure how effective it is, though. i've dabbled with TrueCaller, but that one requires an account, so i havent signed up yet.

I use Hiya as well. Its been good so far. I just wish they would make the penalty for robocalls if a company is found out to be doing this punishable by death. Freaking hate those. I almost missed a possible job interview once thinking it was a robocall.

19 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

I use Hiya as well. Its been good so far. I just wish they would make the penalty for robocalls if a company is found out to be doing this punishable by death. Freaking hate those. I almost missed a possible job interview once thinking it was a robocall.

funny you mention that - https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/10/fcc-fines-robocall-spammer-120-million/

31 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

My sister in law DID miss a call for a job interview because she THOUGHT it was a robocaller. Asked her why she doesn't at least answer to find out if they really are or not and had no good explanation. Simply told her that's what you get for being so stupid, especially when knowing you might have a call like this coming! Since all she has is a cell phone and it being so easy to reject calls AFTER you find out who it is, she got what she deserved! The job never called her back either. She has a list from hell on the number of rejected callers. Makes absolutely no sense not to at least answer the caller and tell them to remove you from list,  if it's a human, to at least find out who it is.

Since that incident, she has installed Nomorobo on her phone and doesn't have nearly the problem.

7 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

My sister in law DID miss a call for a job interview because she THOUGHT it was a robocaller. Asked her why she doesn't at least answer to find out if they really are or not and had no good explanation. Simply told her that's what you get for being so stupid, especially when knowing you might have a call like this coming! Since all she has is a cell phone and it being so easy to reject calls AFTER you find out who it is, she got what she deserved! The job never called her back either. She has a list from hell on the number of rejected callers. Makes absolutely no sense not to at least answer the caller and tell them to remove you from list,  if it's a human, to at least find out who it is.

Since that incident, she has installed Nomorobo on her phone and doesn't have nearly the problem.

The problem is they never remove you from the list.

2 minutes ago, Gotenks98 said:

The problem is they never remove you from the list.

yep most telemarketers have the most absurd policy for getting removed from a call list and even when you follow it they sometimes don't actually remove you.

6 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yep most telemarketers have the most absurd policy for getting removed from a call list and even when you follow it they sometimes don't actually remove you.

This is why I think it should be a crime punishable by death.