Windows 10 Redstone 5 Build 17661 game launch errors.

It appears the latest release of Windows 10 Build 17661 breaks quite a few of the most popular games due to it causing EasyAntiCheat to stop functioning.  This will cause many of the most popular games today to stop functioning.  This holds true for many of the games on Steam.  When EasyAntiCheat can not launch it creates game launch errors.  If you try entering any games without the use of Steam and just the games exe you can play, but only for a short period of time before the game itself will boot you with Authentication errors. 

Let's hope the next Redstone release is this week and those of us in the Preview Builds who also like to game can get back to gaming.   This isn't the first time this has happened with the same product and Windows 10.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:45 PM, Cellar Dweller said:

It appears the latest release of Windows 10 Build 17661 breaks quite a few of the most popular games due to it causing EasyAntiCheat to stop functioning.  This will cause many of the most popular games today to stop functioning.  This holds true for many of the games on Steam.  When EasyAntiCheat can not launch it creates game launch errors.  If you try entering any games without the use of Steam and just the games exe you can play, but only for a short period of time before the game itself will boot you with Authentication errors. 

Let's hope the next Redstone release is this week and those of us in the Preview Builds who also like to game can get back to gaming.   This isn't the first time this has happened with the same product and Windows 10.

Well, build 17666 is now out, did you get it yet and see if anythings changed?

13 hours ago, Cellar Dweller said:

Yes, I had updated immediately upon release, but nothing has changed.

Sucks, sounds like the issue has to be fixed on the EAsyAntiCheat side.  The only way these types of systems work is by hooking directly at a deep OS level to keep track of game code running in memory etc, so if there is some sort of low level OS change they'll have to upgrade/patch it to account for the change.   At least they've got until Sept/Oct to work it out.  :P

Good News.  First thing this morning I did a re-install\repair services as I've done a hundred times in the last 2 weeks, usually daily a few times per day, of the EasyAntiCheat and it is now suddenly working. 

Now the big question is who fixed it?  Was this something fixed by EasyAntiCheat and sent to users via Steam?  It definitely wasn't anything Microsoft did, because there were no updates from them since the release of 17666. 

I can assure you, it had been un-installed, re-installed, and repair service, and every other possible way of trying to fix it failed, and then suddenly this morning it's now functional again??? 

I wish they'd put some sort of acknowledgement out there somewhere or a possible manual fix for those who do support like myself. 

Let's hope now that it's fixed it remains fixed throughout the Redstone 5 builds.  I can only guess more and more security is being added to Windows 10 which is probably what had broken it in the first place.  Now to keep fingers crossed it remains fixed because as these new builds are released usually weekly.  I'd hate to have to wait another 2 weeks for a fix.  ;)

Edited by Cellar Dweller