My phone screen is damaged. Fix or change the phone?

Hello.

My Huawei mate 9 pro screen is damaged and no warranty. So I am between fixing the screen and buying another phone. 

If I fix the phone it will cost around 135$. Considering the new one price is now around 550$ and if used that's 250$. I don't think it is worth it. Also, I believe the phone update is around 2 years and it is about 6 months is what is left.

So, what you guys think? 

Thanks,

hmm tough choice.

if you trade in / sell your current for parts that should knock off a good portion of the price for an upgrade as well so that's another thing to consider

depending on how much you can get for the Mate 9 even with a damaged screen could help sway you one way or the other i think :)

3 hours ago, deep1234 said:

Hello.

My Huawei mate 9 pro screen is damaged and no warranty. So I am between fixing the screen and buying another phone. 

If I fix the phone it will cost around 135$. Considering the new one price is now around 550$ and if used that's 250$. I don't think it is worth it. Also, I believe the phone update is around 2 years and it is about 6 months is what is left.

So, what you guys think? 

Thanks,

I realize you are in the UAE, so idk how much a replacement screen would cost, but here in the US, https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0744FPLPD you can get a replacement screen with the tools for ~$40 (USD), if you feel that you can replace the screen, I would say that is the better deal.

• Like 2

I guess it also depends on whether or not you really NEED to upgrade. Just because the phone is 18 months old doesn't mean it just stops working at the two year mark. Big question is if you fix it, how long will you keep it. If you really are the type of user that needs to upgrade every two years then its  not worth it. If you can go another 12 months (so you land up at 2.5 years), it may be worth it to just fix it. 

I don't mind keeping it if I got the fix cheap. But my main concern is the updates. Seriously, it is not right to keep an abandoned phone. 

• 1 month later...

I'd highly suggest you to hop onto local market. if you go to service centre, chances are they will charge you so much more.

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I think it depends on plans and upgrades.

My Pixel (original series) had the battery and screen break. Repairs have been $150. Paying off what I owe on the contract for it and getting a new phone would be $140... but then I'd be paying off that new phone. Financially, I depend on keeping that Pixel around for another generation or three (really, as long as I can, it does absolutely everything I possibly need. I'll keep it until Verizon screws me). In the long term, it is cheaper to eat the $150 repairs and soon not have to pay the phone contract fees (which would surpass that $140 after a few months).