Supreme Court sides with Colorado baker who refused to make wedding cake for same-sex couple

5 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

This whole thing would have been a non-issue if he'd just not said anything about his reasons for denying service.  All he had to do was say "Sorry, I can't do that for you."

By making an issue out of his reasons for denying, HE is the one that made the whole thing a big drama.

His faith seems strong and of he lied and didnt tell the truth, he would be going against what he stood for.  And if all he said was "Sorry, I cannot do that" then the question from the customer would by "why"  And then you are back down the same road.   Also, the baker should not have to hide his faith and keep that secret the same way the LGBT community shouldnt feel the need to hide what they are about,  I am all about being open to what you believe in, but use some common ######## senses while you do it.

There's no need to lie OR hide his faith. All he had to say was "I don't want to".  He's well within his rights to deny service for ANY reason he wants, without actually giving them that reason.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

There's no need to lie OR hide his faith. All he had to say was "I don't want to".  He's well within his rights to deny service for ANY reason he wants, without actually giving them that reason.

Two gay people walk in and ask for a specific cake.  Baker says "I don't want to" and then a straight person comes in and gets a cake.  You can just guess what the two gay people are thinking.  "I don't want to" will not be an acceptable answer to people these days.  They will either press for a reason, or develop/assume their own.  

The people wanting the cake want their views respected, and they should be, but does not care or respect someone elses views.  Typical these days.  If the baker was rude, then they would have a cause to complain.

The baker also has rights and views, and should not be forced to do work against those rights and views.  He's not stopping them getting married, and he's not even saying anything to anyone about their relationship. He just doesn't want to make them a cake because it signifies something which goes against what he believes in. 

Refusal is not discrimination.  If they'd just asked for an off the shelf cake there'd have been no problem, but instead they're trying to force the baker to use HIS skill and craftsmanship to create something that goes against his beliefs, and he does not want to.  He is not a slave, forced to work against his will at the behest of another. He's a free man, able to pick and choose for whom he works for at his own discretion.

If the law favours either side over the other, then the law is saying one persons rights are more important than another's.  A very dangerous precedent.  The only safe option is to not rule at all and just tell the couple to go to another store.

• Thanks 2