This is why I bought the LG G watch.

Originally I had  bought a Moto 360 the first week it came out for $330. Then 500 days later the battery took a ###### and Motorolla wanted $100. Can't say I was sad to get rid of that watch, the flat tire on the bottom was annoying and it was slow, the battery was terrible and overall not the best experience. I had taken it apart to replace the battery and it was a HORRIBLE experience. I did get the battery replaced but one day it just fell apart lol, I guess the included adhesive didn't hold. Oh well. 

So then I started looking for a replacement. After the horrible battery replacement experience of the Moto 360, I focused my purchase around a watch with an easily replaceable battery, because after all, it will die. So I found the "LG G" watch on Amazon for $89.99. After watching an iFix it video it appeared you just remove 4 small screws off the back and BAM! There's the battery.

Yesterday my watch was dead on the charger. After some finagling, I was able to get it to boot up but it was charging SLOW.. then, later on, it was dead again. So it was time to take it apart. 

Flipped it over, removed the 4 tiny screws and ..

BAM!

42905180152_21f0ef3f0d_c.jpg

Then removed 1 more tiny Philips screw .. and 

BAM!

28085414057_48c02dcf4f_b.jpg

Now I just have to order a battery for it. Obviously, it doesn't run the latest version of Android Wear, but it works for me and I love the Square look. The watch has never felt sluggish and the battery in my use can easily go for 2 days. While the round watches do look nicer the Square shape is better for text, as the text doesn't get cut off. Now, this watch can be had for $65 or less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great post WW. I have an LG G Watch R and I wonder if it will be as simple. 

Yep, just checked iFixit and its the same.  Thanks for the idea to look. Not sure why I never checked since I've used iFixit for dozens of other things.

That's good, where can you find the watch at? I really like a watch that has an easy to replace battery,

6 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

That's good, where can you find the watch at? I really like a watch that has an easy to replace battery,

Can no longer find them for the $40 price or less outright. But I did currently find one for $38 with 3 hours left .. not sure if the reserve has been met or not

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G-Watch-38mm-CE0168/173366802691?hash=item285d777903:g:5scAAOSw5P9bJCfS

The new battery arrived and took about 2 mins install and the watch when put on the dock turned on and booted without issue (battery icon and bootloop with the old battery) with 28% charged.. now at 70% charged.

• Like 2

Thanks again for posting your success. I really did think mine was heading to the trash until you broke out the mini-drivers. 

2 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Thanks again for posting your success. I really did think mine was heading to the trash until you broke out the mini-drivers. 

Easily removable batteries for the win! It's a shame most batteries now are sealed in to devices. Because the battery will die and is not a matter of if but when. 

• Like 3

Today I installed Android wear 2.0 on my LG G watch. It was a rom dump someone did from the LG R watch it runs really good. Because that watch doesn't have a physical nob, I just use an app drawer. Actually, first it ran like total nut sack. But then I found a Quad Core boot.img and I clean installed and flashed that boot.img. Now it runs great. I think the first one was a single core.

• 3 months later...

I swear to god with the god damn decline of user serviceable batteries in electronics I'm going to keep my LG G watch forever. Been looking around online for a good used watch with better specs than my LG G watch and the and easy to replace a battery. The ones i've found that isn't too hard to take apart i can't find replacement batteries anywhere.

Just watched a review of the Apple watch 4 on lon.tv on youtube. He bought the v4 and replaced the Apple watch he brought in 2015 because of the performance and the battery was in decline. So even if he bought the base model in 2015 that would be $100 per year for an Apple Watch.

Crazy if you look at stuff on $ per year. Like even my LG G watch I got used for 89 in feb 2016 is costing me $30 per year. (In another few months)

Got the First Moto 360 for $300 and after 1.3 years the battery took a ######, and they wanted $100 to fix it. I said ###### THAT!! Even though i'd be out the money, i'm not rewarding them $100 for putting a non-serviceable battery in their watch. The watch had no screws and the back of the watch was glued on, not screwed on.  so I attempted to replace the battery. After a large headache, I did get the watch taken apart and the battery replaced, the adhesive didn't hold and then a week later my dad was using it and back fell off and the watch fell into pieces lol. I wasn't too sad, that watch was a slow piece of ###### anyway. By that time I was already rocking my 89 LG G watch and was in heaven. (Was soooo much faster and smoother)