Debloating your phone by uninstalling bloatware via the adb shell

Recently came across this method on XDA. It allows you to uninstall bloatware on your phone via adb all the while not being root. As an example, you know that stupid NFL app that comes preinstalled that they won't let you remove? Sure you could disable it but the next time it updates it turns itself back on.

So yesterday I debloated my LG v20 via the ADB shell. Looked online for some stuff I could removed and I removed a lot with no side effects. Stuff like LG sync, LG bridge, Smart cleanup the default email and messing app to name a few.

After debloating, I didn't use the phone. I wanted to see what the standby drain was. So how did it turn out? Well I think the photo speaks for itself.

29391241478_7b8cd3b8b0_c.jpg

After taking the photo and sending it to someone the battery dropped to 99%. Within those 3 hours, 2 spammers did ring my phone that I answered and hung up on. Previous my phone after it would drop from 100% would drop faster. So I may have a calibration issue or a bad battery (which is cool because it's replaceable) .. all that being said it's never lasted 3.1 hours at 100%, so that's a definite improvement.

https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access/

If you need to find the package name you can use the app called application inspector. 

The command on the adb shell is

pm uninstall -k --user 0 <name of package>

Obviously, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

6 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

What's the SOT during that screenshot?

about 20 seconds to take the phone about about 15 to send it. So under 1 min. phone must have been at the very bottom of 100%

SNAG-0011.png

This? then the command would be

adb pm uninstall -k --user 0 <name of package>

from Command Prompt in that directory, and yeah I guess you would need to know what apps the packages are ? 

With 3 hours of no screen usage, it shouldnt be a surprise to see your battery at 100% still. I highly doubt that removing some of the OEM apps had anything to do with "extending" it. Great guide, but I wouldnt get my hopes up that this solves a battery issue or improves it really all that much.

2 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

SNAG-0011.png

This? then the command would be

adb pm uninstall -k --user 0 <name of package>”

from Command Prompt in that directory, and yeah I guess you would need to know what apps the packages are ? 

You also need to have the proper device drivers installed, in order for adb to see the device.

Execute the “pm list packages | grep '<OEM/Carrier/App Name>'” command (without quotes) to find package names.

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

With 3 hours of no screen usage, it shouldnt be a surprise to see your battery at 100% still. I highly doubt that removing some of the OEM apps had anything to do with "extending" it. Great guide, but I wouldnt get my hopes up that this solves a battery issue or improves it really all that much.

You also need to have the proper device drivers installed, in order for adb to see the device.

While not the same phone, other have seen screen off battery drain improvements by debloating