WiFi speeds- basic question

5 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Yeah 5.9.20 but thought they added that back in the 5.8 branch.

I haven't played with it since it first came out.. Since I don't have tons of AP just the 3 and they simple deployment in a line down the house, etc.

guestroom --- hallway --- kitchen.. About equal distance between each, etc..

The 5ghz bands get tricky depending on what vht your using.. 20 there are lots, 40 only 4 and with 80 you only have the 2.. But DFS changes the ballgame.. But while unifi AP support it - there are many clients that don't like them...  So I just stay away from them with such a simple deployment.

Go with the 36 and 149 for your 3.. bump the firmware and see what kind f speeds you get - also check what phy your clients are showing on your RX and TX..

air2.thumb.png.f1be222d6073c7592d29714d2526b869.png

Wife must have the ipad on - I can see its connected at 867 both RX and TX..

And your all using wired uplink right, you don't have any of them daisy chained?  They all homerun back to your switch

I'll let you know how this turns out.

All three APs are using a separate cat6 connection.

gig up down symmetrical... Bastard!!! ;)  hehehehe

Please tell me they are crazy expensive - go down all the time, or hit you with cap at like 100GB... Something to make us less green with envy... In the big picture not sure would notice a difference going from the 500 seeing to gig down.  But would like higher up..  50 works, and no problems serving up plex to friends and family, etc.  But wish it was 500/500 ;) At this $60 month price I would be more than happy and also its been rock solid after first month rocky start on upload being all over the board and way low.. Like high I would see is 20 on a wire..   But they have been making strides in that area and seeing high 30's low 40's so it works ;)  Way happy I switched away from comcast at $100 a month for 75/10

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

gig up down symmetrical... Bastard!!! ;)  hehehehe

Please tell me they are crazy expensive - go down all the time, or hit you with cap at like 100GB... Something to make us less green with envy... In the big picture not sure would notice a difference going from the 500 seeing to gig down.  But would like higher up..  50 works, and no problems serving up plex to friends and family, etc.  But wish it was 500/500 ;) At this $60 month price I would be more than happy and also its been rock solid after first month rocky start on upload being all over the board and way low.. Like high I would see is 20 on a wire..   But they have been making strides in that area and seeing high 30's low 40's so it works ;)  Way happy I switched away from comcast at $100 a month for 75/10

No data cap, and 85 a month off contract. It hasn't gone down that I've noticed (since February). I did crash my USG 3P twice on 4.5.3 experimental firmware when capping out the speed while downloading Android source(4 streams were competing for the gigabit connection). Data speeds tend to stay high, and CenturyLink's apathy towards customers keeps it that way. No advertising is done in my area, and most homes around me cannot get it. That comes at a price of course. Some things such as Youtube buffer at 1080p due to lack of peering agreement. Despite CL now owning Level 3, routing still isn't great.

Honestly, I don't need gig but it costs less than I was paying Cox for 300/30 and the lack of soft or hard data cap is nice.

That said, I tried the channel scan and it ended up worse. I went ahead and configured as you advised: 36 -- 149 --36 on the latest beta firmware. Results are about what I saw before, depending on the AP. See attached. The faster one is the hallway AP on channel 149. Bandwidth Steering and Airtime Fairness are both off.

One thing I didn't consider-- does the amount of wireless networks I am running have any bearing on this? I have three plus guest. I am also using RADIUS for authentication.

Hallway.jpg

master.jpg

office.jpg

Edited by adrynalyne

Where are you clients RX rates?  You just posted TX rates..

I run 4 different SSID on different vlans, 5 if you count the one I was playing with for MAB and radius assigned vlans but its currently not enabled on any AP - and one uses eap-tls to auth... The one posted was eap-tls client which uses Radius server..

clientinfo.thumb.png.7fc9802dd965748a0145ddbff0d63ec4.png

So can you test on a non tagged vlan?  For example my eap-tls that I showed network is native network and not a tagged vlan.  There are other tagged ssids on it the AP and the uplink from AP to so switch and then to router.  But that specific SSID is native and not tagged.  When I get home tonight I can test on a tagged ssid.  It really shouldn't be an issue.  But am curious on your traffic flow from you AP to your switch and to your router - anything else could be running on the uplink connections.. Other vlans?  That could be eating up some of the bandwidth in 1 direction?  If your PHY connection is good then you should be seeing same speeds roughly up/down since your on a symmetrical connection.

Click on one of your clients directly like above to see both the tx and rx PHY

I know we are somewhat hijacking this post, but do you use band steering at all budman? I havent dabbled with auto channels yet, silly question but I only have 1 AP, can I just place it on the generic map and let a scan complete, or should I actually create a map of my location and place the AP in the correct position on the map? Super small, simple network.

31 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Where are you clients RX rates?  You just posted TX rates..

I run 4 different SSID on different vlans, 5 if you count the one I was playing with for MAB and radius assigned vlans but its currently not enabled on any AP - and one uses eap-tls to auth... The one posted was eap-tls client which uses Radius server..

clientinfo.thumb.png.7fc9802dd965748a0145ddbff0d63ec4.png

So can you test on a non tagged vlan?  For example my eap-tls that I showed network is native network and not a tagged vlan.  There are other tagged ssids on it the AP and the uplink from AP to so switch and then to router.  But that specific SSID is native and not tagged.  When I get home tonight I can test on a tagged ssid.  It really shouldn't be an issue.  But am curious on your traffic flow from you AP to your switch and to your router - anything else could be running on the uplink connections.. Other vlans?  That could be eating up some of the bandwidth in 1 direction?  If your PHY connection is good then you should be seeing same speeds roughly up/down since your on a symmetrical connection.

Click on one of your clients directly like above to see both the tx and rx PHY

The current network I'm on is not vlan tagged.

tx_rx.JPG

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I know we are somewhat hijacking this post, but do you use band steering at all budman? I havent dabbled with auto channels yet, silly question but I only have 1 AP, can I just place it on the generic map and let a scan complete, or should I actually create a map of my location and place the AP in the correct position on the map? Super small, simple network.

Oh, its 150% hijacked.

Yeah we are WAY OFF THE RAILS on this one ;) heheheeh

Unless your in some sort of Apartment complex or Condo building or something - dorms.. High rise in a city I don't see why you could have inference on the 5ghz range... You don't need to draw up a map or anything for just doing RF scan if you only have the 1 AP.  Do you see lot of other users wifi near you?

sigstrength.thumb.png.b5f6c26ffba3b0693ded38d2b9565d11.png

Notice how low the levels are here.. And these are all 2.4ghz networks.  I don't see any 5ghz networks at all.. And my kitchen and guestroom AP are closes to the outside walls of the house.

My band steering is currently off.. Clients should really pick the best signal on their own.. I have not really run into any clients that tend to go to 2 vs 5 ghz.. If you are seeing that maybe you have your 2.4 power levels up to high.. I run those at low..  if your having problems yeah I would turn it off, atleast for testing to see if that is better or more stable connections.  If you have some problem child devices that want to go to 2.4 even though 5 is the better choice you prob have power level issues.  Maybe you need another AP? in the area?  You can create unique SSIDs 2 vs 5 and force connection, etc.

We could move this to another thread - but I do want get to the bottom of the slower download vs upload for sure...

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Yeah we are WAY OFF THE RAILS on this one ;) heheheeh

Unless your in some sort of Apartment complex or Condo building or something - dorms.. High rise in a city I don't see why you could have inference on the 5ghz range... You don't need to draw up a map or anything for just doing RF scan if you only have the 1 AP.  Do you see lot of other users wifi near you?

sigstrength.thumb.png.b5f6c26ffba3b0693ded38d2b9565d11.png

Notice how low the levels are here.. And these are all 2.4ghz networks.  I don't see any 5ghz networks at all.. And my kitchen and guestroom AP are closes to the outside walls of the house.

My band steering is currently off.. Clients should really pick the best signal on their own.. I have not really run into any clients that tend to go to 2 vs 5 ghz.. If you are seeing that maybe you have your 2.4 power levels up to high.. I run those at low..  if your having problems yeah I would turn it off, atleast for testing to see if that is better or more stable connections.  If you have some problem child devices that want to go to 2.4 even though 5 is the better choice you prob have power level issues.  Maybe you need another AP? in the area?  You can create unique SSIDs 2 vs 5 and force connection, etc.

We could move this to another thread - but I do want get to the bottom of the slower download vs upload for sure...

Mostly 2.4G, same as you, I do have some 5G though, but its not very many.

This is for the last hour,

insights.JPG

You in some sort of office or city area?  They must have the power turned up really freaking high..  That Motorola thing some sort of printer or bridge thing in your building/location?

Who and the F runs on channels 3 and 4 on 2.4??  WTF people... Damn freaking idiots.. Way to F it up for both 1 and 6 channels...

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

You in some sort of office or city area?  They must have the power turned up really freaking high..  That Motorola thing some sort of printer or bridge thing in your building/location?

Who and the F runs on channels 3 and 4 on 2.4??  WTF people... Damn freaking idiots.. Way to F it up for both 1 and 6 channels...

2200 sq ft single story home on 1/4 of an acre in a suburban area on the edge of the city limits.  The wifi space in this neighborhood is maddening. If I expand to 24 hours, I’ll get even crazier numbers for APs seen. 

From that—the envy on channel 3 is my daughter’s printer that supports wifi direct connection. The D7PJUOW7 is my security system that has its own AP connected to WAN2. Past that...?

Ive currently have the 5G set to medium transmit. 2G is on low transmit.

image.png

Edited by adrynalyne

Some minor  interference shouldn't cause your upload to be fine while your download is in the dirt.. Something is not right that is for sure.

Do you have G or N clients on the same wifi?  B even?  Try bumping your transmission to high on AP..   Maybe your just seeing a lot of retrans from the AP because client can't hear it.. Causing the slower download.

If that doesn't correct it.. I would like to take the internet out of the equation and run some iperf tests from laptop to wired device on your network.

Your not doing anything with captive portal/guest network in the controller are you?

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

Some minor  interference shouldn't cause your upload to be fine while your download is in the dirt.. Something is not right that is for sure.

Do you have G or N clients on the same wifi?  B even?  Try bumping your transmission to high on AP..   Maybe your just seeing a lot of retrans from the AP because client can't hear it.. Causing the slower download.

If that doesn't correct it.. I would like to take the internet out of the equation and run some iperf tests from laptop to wired device on your network.

Your not doing anything with captive portal/guest network in the controller are you?

No G or N clients on this network. Those have been put on another. I’ll try the transmit changes when I get home this evening. 

I do have a guest network with captive portal running on the controller but I never use it myself. 

I would turn off that captive portal as a test... I do recall that can slow down the network.

Anything new?  What was your RX PHY?  Did you turn up the tx power, and turn off captive portal?

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

Anything new?  What was your RX PHY?  Did you turn up the tx power, and turn off captive portal?

Sorry I was late getting back to you.

Even after turning up transmit power, RX/TX strengths are mostly the same. I also turned off the captive portal but it didn't help.

That said, I don't think the problem is real. I don't know why it is happening, but I did two tests, one to CL's speed test server and iperf3.

7540276575.png

vs

[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   359 MBytes   301 Mbits/sec    0             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   359 MBytes   301 Mbits/sec                  receiver

So while I am curious as to why it happens, I'm not really concerned.

so you iperf showed your download fine at the 300 mark same as you upload..

Hmmm  That is some odd ###### to be sure...

3 hours ago, BudMan said:

so you iperf showed your download fine at the 300 mark same as you upload..

Hmmm  That is some odd ###### to be sure...

Yeah it is. So strange.