Two killed in shooting at Jacksonville video game tournament

(CNN)--The sheriff's office in Jacksonville, Florida, said there was a mass shooting at a downtown marketplace on Sunday and urged people to stay far away from the area.

"Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area. The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY #TheLandingMassShooting," the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said on Twitter.

The shooting occurred during the Madden 19 Tournament at the GLHF Game Bar, according to the Twitter of CompLexity Gaming, one of the event organizers. One Madden participant, Young Drini, was grazed in the hand and is away from the scene and safe, Complexity said.

On an online stream of the Madden event posted to the website Twitch, several loud gunshots can be heard and the game abruptly stops.

Federal law enforcement officials are monitoring situation in Jacksonville. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is responding to the scene in Jacksonville Landing, a law enforcement source told CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/26/us/jacksonville-madden-shooting/index.html

Edited by Jim K
Updated title

It sounds like the shooter was a competitor in the Madden 19 tournament and lost so he gets revenge by shootting other gamers he targeted!

WTF is this would coming too????????? :(

• Like 2

Just now, gate1975mlm said:

It sounds like the shooter was a competitor in the Madden 19 tournament and lost so he gets revenge by shootting other gamers he targeted!

This is just another typical mass shooting here in the USA.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gate1975mlm said:

That's what happens when emotionally unstable individuals have readily available access to firearms. This is not an isolated incident, nor even a surprise. And you mean to say 'what is America coming to?', as this is not an issue elsewhere in the developed world.

On 8/19/2018 at 1:17 PM, Zagadka said:

4 minutes ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

That's what happens when emotionally unstable individuals have readily available access to firearms. This is not an isolated incident, nor even a surprise. And you mean to say 'what is America coming to?', as this is not an issue elsewhere in the developed world.

So how's that Knife Ban the Mayor of London was asking for, or more cameras to catch those Scooter Muggers?

/but yes I do agree mentally ill should not be allowed to possess handguns, only the Democrats don't want their voter's disarmed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, VultureTX said:

So how's that Knife Ban the Mayor of London was asking for, or more cameras to catch those Scooter Muggers?

The rise in violent crime in the UK is a result of police cutbacks. As for knives, it is already illegal to carry them in public if they are above three inches. It's also worth pointing out that knife crime in the UK is significantly lower than that of the US. So what is your point exactly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, VultureTX said:

/but yes I do agree mentally ill should not be allowed to possess handguns,

If only there were some way to check backgrounds.

All this speculation and assumption and we know nothing about this guy.  He could have legally owned this gun, passed all required background checks, had a permit, but just had no respect for life.  I don't blame mental illness because hundreds are shot in Chicago on a monthly basis and nobody would even suggest that all of those shooters are mentally ill, some people just have no respect for life.

Even a complete ban doesn't stop people from killing each other, as previously referenced with the UK and it's knife crime.  Even if you buy the excuse that it's police cuts, that still implies that the murderous intent and lack of respect for life is still present in those people's hearts and minds.  A simple metal detector would have likely stopped this, but it would be a sad state of affairs that you need to go through a metal detector everywhere because people have no respect for life.  At the end of the day, I don't blame the tool I blame the person wielding the tool, be that a knife, hammer, golf club, vehicle, or airplane.

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

This is just another typical mass shooting here in the USA.

This should never be a sentence uttered by anyone, ever

28 minutes ago, Mud W1ggle said:

This should never be a sentence uttered by anyone, ever

Except it's the reality, and a lot of the US gun crime is starting to pour into Canada.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Except it's the reality, and a lot of the US gun crime is starting to pour into Canada.

No it's not, you all have your own problems independent of us.  Even the Toronto police chief acknowledges that the majority of the gun crimes committed in Canada are done so by guns that were legally purchased in Canada and then either used illegally or stolen from legal gun owners...to be used illegally.  There is not a rash of Americans crossing the border to shoot up Canada and you all don't need our help to kill each other.  While there are guns that are smuggled across the southern border, most don't have do all of that extra work when they can just steal a gun.

2 hours ago, gate1975mlm said:

This is what happens when you give everyone a participation trophy growing up: they lack the emotional skills to properly deal with something as simple as losing a game.

Imagine being so much of a bitch boy over losing a video game that you shoot people.  His name henceforth is "Bitch Boy."  Ignore his real name when it gets released and never utter it.  His name should now forever be Bitch Boy.

Could we at least wait until we have the facts before jumping to conclusions as to what would fix things?

All we know is this:

At a video gaming tournament in Flordia, it's reported that a person that lost, started shooting other contestants (multiple dead) and the suspect is dead.

Things we don't know:

Did the weapon the assailant use acquired legally or illegally?

Did he have it with him, or did he leave and come back?

What is the history of the assailant?

Once we have more concrete answers, then it would be more appropriate debate on how to tackle this situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, macrosslover said:

> hundreds are shot in Chicago on a monthly basis and nobody would even suggest that all of those shooters are mentally ill, some people just have no respect for life.

>

The main problem in Chicago is gang warfare and its collateral damage. Chicago having a govt. prone to political correctness handcuffs itself by not aggressively going after the core problem - the gangs.

They're afraid of "community activists" claiming it's racist. No. It's protecting your good citizens, whatever ethnicity, from 2-legged vermin.

OTOH - Detroit's homicide rate is the lowest in 40 years after Chief Craig came to town and started knocking heads; zone gang raids, fugitive sweeps, good old fashioned community police mini-stations etc.

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From someone who happens to live in Jacksonville, I can tell you that (sadly) there seems to be an uptick in violent crimes lately. This was ~ 3 miles from where I live. Plus many, many more examples, this weekend a 'gang' shooting took place right after a high school football game, with many police officers at the game for security. It is very sad to see this.

It's hard to judge a book by its cover, but seeing the pictures of this nutcase, I'm surprised he didn't do something similar a long time ago. A few screws look loose!

hRcJ7Bk.jpg

Steve Buscemi from Con Air (1997)

BSgaEFO.jpg

The shooter is also known by his gamer handle "Bread," and once again red flags were waving...

https://www.news4jax.com/news/police-id-madden-19-tournament-shooter-as-gamer-david-katz

Police ID 'Madden 19' tournament shooter as gamer David Katz

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said the shooter is David Katz, 24, of Baltimore, who appears to have acted alone in the rampage that killed two people and wounded several others.
>
Katz, who was found dead at the scene Sunday, took his own life with a self-inflicted gunshot wound inside the downtown Jacksonville venue, Williams said.
>
Federal agents raided Katz's home, which is located in Baltimore's affluent Federal Hill neighborhood, Sunday evening and were said to be interviewing the suspect's family.

Katz, a competitive gamer who goes by the nickname Bread, won the Madden NFL 17 Bills Championship tournament. He was registered to play in this weekend's Jacksonville event.

According to Baltimore Sun crime reporter Justin Fenton, court records linked to Katz's parents' divorce indicated he had "significant medical problems and healthcare needs."
>

Worth a listen

Edited by DocM

Another product of the "I deserve participation trophy" generation. Soon we'll also have airport type security wherever we go, shopping at the supermarket, getting gas etc you name it, and it will all be controlled by TSA types like these:

I feel sad for those that lost their lives and those that got injured and traumatized, but maybe we shouldn't be lying to people who clearly need help by giving them participation trophies and allowing them to own guns (or make it easy for them to procure). He shot people up because he lost a video game! :/ We read about this crap all the time too with domestic violence reports due to confiscated xbox's or rage quits etc..

From reading some news reports and social media, it appears it was known this guy had some screws loose, with one "announcer" from a previous event allegedly claiming that getting him to talk was like "pulling teeth".

15 hours ago, theyarecomingforyou said:

The rise in violent crime in the UK is a result of police cutbacks. As for knives, it is already illegal to carry them in public if they are above three inches. It's also worth pointing out that knife crime in the UK is significantly lower than that of the US. So what is your point exactly?

Comparing knife laws to that in the US is like comparing apples to oranges, entirely different scenarios and causes.

starting to seem like another kid with a few screws loose, warning signs and not being able to cope with failure and or bullying . I'll keep saying this, the signs are out there, the signs are also out there that social media doesn't help either with this 

46 minutes ago, wv@gt said:

starting to seem like another kid with a few screws loose, warning signs and not being able to cope with failure and or bullying . I'll keep saying this, the signs are out there, the signs are also out there that social media doesn't help either with this 

AMEN!

What year did they start handing out the participation trophies? Not only did I not get a participation trophy as a child I always got picked last in PE lol.

5 minutes ago, warwagon said:

What year did they start handing out the participation trophies? Not only did I not get a participation trophy as a child I always got picked last in PE lol.

If memory serve me correctly, it was starting right around when I graduated high school, mid-1990's.

40 minutes ago, ncoday said:

If memory serve me correctly, it was starting right around when I graduated high school, mid-1990's.

Depending on school, but in my neighborhood it was years after I graduated... more like in the late 90s early 2000s

Everybody gets a trophy, everyone is special :0

• Thanks 1