Microsoft blocked XBOX Live services for Iranians

Good afternoon all

So since five days ago my nephew who lives in Iran hasn't been able to login into their XBOX Live account. He has had the account and XBOX console for two years now and never had any issue. I contacted XBOX Support and they asked me to hard reset the console as they thought it was a cache issue. However it didn't help, so a day after that I contacted them again and someone else asked me about the country which the console is located in when I said Iran, they said this was escalated to their development team and they confirmed that MS has started detecting IP addresses from the countries not in this list XBOX Live Countries and block their access to XBOX live services.

Not sure if this is true or not, I contacted their support again and someone else said this is a known issue and it's affecting many people in the world and it's not about restriction of services for any specific country.

Has any one got the news about this?
Can Neowin investigate or possibly contact their MS source to see if this is true (have they started blocking access to services)

Thanks

Hello,

I found some information on some US government sites that might be helpful in explaining what's going on:

My guess would be that Microsoft finally started following the US government's restrictions on doing business with Iran, but that's just a guess on my part.  Since Microsoft does not have Iran listed at https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/countries it is entirely possible that having the service work in other countries was some kind of temporary oversight on their part, which they've now fixed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky