8 reasons to turn down the transmit power of your Wi-Fi

What is your problem with different tech??  My Fing Gawd dude...  Do you know how long N and AC was out before it got traction ;)  ###### there are still users using G...  Big piece of this was point with asking why people still use 2.4 ;)

N started in what 2004..  Part of the problem with ad using 60ghz and being short range is that many users only have the 1 soho router.. So its kind of pointless.. But now that mesh is starting to get some foothold and uses understanding that they need more than 1 AP, and the number of devices per home has skyrocketed..  You good see some traction..

The first router to support it came out in 2016.. So while its be standard final since 2012.. It has not been 8 years.. AC final in 2013 btw.. wave 1, how many wave 2 devices out there?  Which is WAY better than wave 1... Consumers don't just go out and drop all their devices and buy everything new when a new tech comes out..   I would replace my AP with wave 2 - but thing is there are no devices that support it..  My phone doesn't, my tablets dont, my iot doesnt.. So why should I get AP that do?

By time you drag the masses into new tech, there is way newer tech available and the masses all using OLD tech... Even those users wanting to jump on the new stuff on day one have hard time because there is no choices for them to purchases that support it...

And lets not forget WPA3 ;)  Any your devices support that?  You going to go buy new router/ap when they come out.. New phones and tablets?

I don't have a problem with different tech if it's actually available and genuinely useful.  Clearly, you think it's useful and going to gain further support and I disagree.

And yeah, it might have a few devices supporting it, but AX already has an similar amount readying for release.

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ad_Hardware

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ax_Hardware

At any rate, enjoy whatever you want to use.  I think there's not much else to add to this conversation.

10 hours ago, LostCat said:

gain further support and I disagree.

Yeah because change never happens.. Even if its not ad, the days of 1 AP in your house have been long gone anyway..  ax is going to have the same problems as ac, and to get the bandwidth your talking use of 160mhz channels - which not going to work on these freq where you have all the overlap with other wifi.. Especially when everyone loves to blast up their power as high as it goes ;)

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Yeah because change never happens.. Even if its not ad, the days of 1 AP in your house have been long gone anyway..  ax is going to have the same problems as ac, and to get the bandwidth your talking use of 160mhz channels - which not going to work on these freq where you have all the overlap with other wifi.. Especially when everyone loves to blast up their power as high as it goes ;)

I don't have a way to lower the transmit power in my Hitron CGNV4-EU router, or am I looking in the wrong place? 😛 

From a quick look at the manual I found for that - I don't see anywhere to adjust it either..  That model is a bit dated is it not.. Does it even support AC.. I see some places that say it does, but another manual lists only N?

edit;  Ok looking through the manual at the 5ghz setup, it looks to support AC if you enable it??

31 minutes ago, BudMan said:

From a quick look at the manual I found for that - I don't see anywhere to adjust it either..  That model is a bit dated is it not.. Does it even support AC.. I see some places that say it does, but another manual lists only N?

edit;  Ok looking through the manual at the 5ghz setup, it looks to support AC if you enable it??

I have 5GHz enabled, i have the two bands enabled because Nest's "Heat Connect" (which must be connected via wifi for the thermostat and heat connect module, even though they are also connected by wire) keeps disconnecting, from reading online, other wifi devices on the same channel can cause the link to drop, which is nice /s

Nest requiring the thermostat and heat link to be connected via wifi makes no sense to me when it has a physical wire connection between it and causes me a lot of headaches in winter months, but that is a different discussion eh!?

So you have a 3rd gen thermostat?  If so then it uses nest weave to talk to your heat link and not the wire..   I think problems your having with those systems would be a different thread sure ;)  Happy to help if I can, I don't have a heat link - that is a EU thing and not something here in the US..

But nest weave is not your wifi network..