Strange issue with USB attached HDD attached to router

We have one USB HDD now attached to the router, it's called IO-Safe, and my system can access it via \\192.168.1.1\IO-Safe\ but the other two wired systems connected to the same the network can not access it, windows gives an error that it can not be located. The only current working theory that I have is: my desktop is currently connected via 100 Mbs, whereas the other 2 are gigabit. It seems so absurd that I really discount that as having anything to do with it. Can anyone else shed some light on this issue?

57 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You sure that is for NAS storage, or printer jack only?

Positive

36 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Are they all the same version of Windows?

Also, what router?

Yes, Win 10 X64 Pro

Linksys EA9500

Now another thing that I noticed is the 192.168.1.1 no longer works via the web interface, which is the method we used to access the the router configuration page. Also the two other computers are fresh installs of win10, mine is not a new install, could that make some difference?

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

I really hope you didn't spend $400 on that router....

No, it was a refurb, and was only ~$100

Are you on the newest firmware? Personally, I find their software to be horrendous and would personally replace it with a 3rd part like DDWRT, Tomato, etc. Personally, I would return that piece of crap and get something good. The web is littered with issue threads for that model router(random reboots, internet going down, overheating, just dying out of no where), probably the reason it was returned ;). I would just take @BudMan, or heck even my advice, from your previous thread for a good reliable router.

15 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Positive

Yes, Win 10 X64 Pro

Linksys EA9500

Now another thing that I noticed is the 192.168.1.1 no longer works via the web interface, which is the method we used to access the the router configuration page. Also the two other computers are fresh installs of win10, mine is not a new install, could that make some difference?

You on different builds of Windows 10?

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You on different builds of Windows 10?

Different builds, (just checked) same versions (pro X64)

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Different builds, (just checked) same versions (pro X64)

Yeah, different builds can be wonky...

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, different builds can be wonky...

It's funny, because I check windows update, and it says I'm up to date, so IDK how the other systems are a newer version.

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

It's funny, because I check windows update, and it says I'm up to date, so IDK how the other systems are a newer version.

I don't think updates change your build number...

So tomorrow I am upgrading my system, I am wondering if I will loose access to the drive, or will everyone suddenly have access to it? Again this is a really odd issue.

6 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So tomorrow I am upgrading my system, I am wondering if I will loose access to the drive, or will everyone suddenly have access to it? Again this is a really odd issue.

You upgrading your system wont do anything to the others... your router (along with its firmware) is what is serving the content to everyone. Different 10 builds wont make a difference (unless you are possibly on insider builds, but that shouldn't be an issue either with network devices, I have various 10 builds and insiders in VMs and it doesnt change anything). The fact that you cannot access the web interface is bothersome, again, personally I would return that piece of crap because like I said there are numerous forums littered with complaints about it and the crappy software running it. I feel like you ask questions, but dont want the advice almost like you want someone to confirm you idea rather than taking in others recommendations, but I'll still try to help you out. I would factory reset your device, ensure you are on the newest firmware and do a trial and error process, see if each machine can access the device after you wipe and start over. Something isnt working properly within the router firmware IMO. Also, how old is your machine that it doesnt have a 10/100/1000 nic?

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You upgrading your system wont do anything to the others... your router (along with its firmware) is what is serving the content to everyone. Different 10 builds wont make a difference (unless you are possibly on insider builds, but that shouldn't be an issue either with network devices, I have various 10 builds and insiders in VMs and it doesnt change anything). The fact that you cannot access the web interface is bothersome, again, personally I would return that piece of crap because like I said there are numerous forums littered with complaints about it and the crappy software running it. I feel like you ask questions, but dont want the advice almost like you want someone to confirm you idea rather than taking in others recommendations, but I'll still try to help you out. I would factory reset your device, ensure you are on the newest firmware and do a trial and error process, see if each machine can access the device after you wipe and start over. Something isnt working properly within the router firmware IMO. Also, how old is your machine that it doesnt have a 10/100/1000 nic?

I misstated the information before, the system supports gigabit, it was the router that did not, also I do not have a gigabit line running off to it either, tomorrow I will. Also @Circaflex what is your theory (besides what you call a bad router) as to why I am able to access the drive, but no one else can? Also I have done a factory reset to the router and had it check for the newest firmware, which it is running.

15 minutes ago, Jim K said:

SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support???

a win10 update truend this off  or set it to another SMB 2 or 3

I had a working 36TB NAS that only my XP VMs saw after a round of  OS updates.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Windows 10 has turned off SMB 1.0 by default, since it's a security mess.

In the Windows 10 search bar, look for "Turn Windows features on or off". Select SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support, then select SMB 1.0/CIFS Client. Only enable the client, not the server. See if it fixes your problem.

If it does, see if there's an update to the router to enable a later version of SMB. If not, you're stuck with an insecure and outdated file sharing protocol. Shouldn't be a complete disaster on a private network, but personally I would look for a better solution.

What happened to the AC2200 you said you got and the 2 Bay nas...

Thought the whole point of that other thread was to get away from USB off your router?

@BudManYes the whole point was to eliminate the need for the USB drive, but there is still data on the drive that we want to transfer to the NAS, and considering the IO Safe drive is waterproof and fire resistant, it would be nice to have for the important local files, yes we have cloud backup as well, but this drive is designed to be a local backup drive.

22 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

there is still data on the drive that we want to transfer to the NAS

It's a USB drive, go fetch it, plug it into your PC, and copy it from there to the new NAS. Job done.

6 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

It's a USB drive, go fetch it, plug it into your PC, and copy it from there to the new NAS. Job done.

As my system can still access it, I did copy the data to the NAS, but it still doesn't answer the underlying question as to why it works only on my system, but I suppose at this point in time it does not matter anymore.

As others pointed out, the router probably uses old Samba protocol which is not supported in newer windows builds. With so little information everything is just a wild guess, start with ping, check network adapter settings if client for ms networks/file sharing is enabled, check firewall (public, private). There are many things which can be wrong.

I would suggest to get someone to setup your network, otherwise sooner or later you'll have problems.