Buy a 1050Ti now? Or wait for GTX 2050?

So, I'm looking to buy a GTX 1050Ti sometimes in March of 2019. So, is that a wise decision? Should I wait for a GTX 2050 (non-Ti)

What would the pricing look like? My budget is strictly tight (at around $220)

Thanks y'all!

I'd just get the 1050Ti. If you are waiting for the newest version, you waiting your whole life. When the 2050 gets out, the 3050 will be just around the bend. And so on...

Buy now. There's only little gain between one version to the next. It's when you compare 3 or 4 versions, is when you see a difference.

have there even been any announcements about the GTX 11xx/20xx cards yet?

I've been searching for awhile myself and can't find info on whether the RTX line is just replacing the GTX line or if they still have the next refresh in the works...

4 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I've been searching for awhile myself and can't find info on whether the RTX line is just replacing the GTX line or if they still have the next refresh in the works...

I haven't heard of that either. My assumption was always that they killed the GTX. But in reality, no idea... :unsure:

$220 ... How about the RX570

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAD2C72D9191

With respect to a 2050 ... really hard to say. What will it be priced at? If the recent Nvidia releases are any indication...you may have to give them a kidney in addition to cash..

Just throwing an idea it there. :)

34 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Yeah, not sure but I read somewhere that only the 2070 and 2080 will be RTXs but the 2050/2060 and others will be GTX for this generation of architecture.

28 minutes ago, Jim K said:

$220 ... How about the RX570

https://m.newegg.com/products/9SIAD2C72D9191

With respect to a 2050 ... really hard to say. What will it be priced at? If the recent Nvidia releases are any indication...you may have to give them a kidney in addition to cash..

Just throwing an idea it there. :)

Sadly, I have an HP machine so can't upgrade the PSU. 1050/Ti is the only that can work on a 320W PSU, right?

And do you really think there'd be so much price difference b/w GTX 1050Ti and GTX 2050 (non-Ti)?

What does the history say about this though?

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

aren't the direct replacement for the gtx, the rtx?

as in rtx2080  

RTX only refers to GPUs that have a ray-tracing core. And any card below 2070 won't have any RTX cores so... 

15 minutes ago, sc302 said:

aren't the direct replacement for the gtx, the rtx?

as in rtx2080  

from my understanding the RTX line is focused on the Ray Tracing for AI purposes; it's not primarily meant as a gaming GPU like the GTX series is; which is why I've assumed there's still a GTX refresh coming (probably 11xx range) but they're just keeping tight lipped still on it

Considering nVidia just released a GTX 1060 with GDDR5X RAM, I wouldn't be surprised if any G/RTX 2050 cards are a ways out, and may end up being minor respins.  There are indications that anything below the 2070 in terms of raytracing simply will not be performant enough, and I doubt nVidia would want a 2050 or 2060 to compare to the 2070 in terms of performance (which roughly ties the 1080).  I'd recommend buying now if you're looking at the 1050/Ti, but if you're considering moving up to a 1060/2060, it might be worth waiting a bit longer, but I wouldn't expect a huge difference between a 10xx card or a 20xx card in this range.

Buy the 1050ti, use it, in March 2019 maybe sell it on eBay and put the money toward the 2050.

If you aren't buying regardless of choice until March of next year then wait. a 2050 would be around the 1060 in performance which would make it a great cheap card for 1080p. It would also make the 1050 probably fire sale as they can't charge a 'RTX' premium and that level of card is price limited not performance focused.

17 minutes ago, dafox said:

If you aren't buying regardless of choice until March of next year then wait. a 2050 would be around the 1060 in performance which would make it a great cheap card for 1080p. It would also make the 1050 probably fire sale as they can't charge a 'RTX' premium and that level of card is price limited not performance focused.

Right.. I guess I can definitely wait a bit longer 'cause ya'know I'd be upgrading from a 750Ti. So, it should be a major upgrade :)

There a reason why you need to upgrade from your 750Ti?

I have one myself, and I don't really see a reason to upgrade to a 105Ti/1060, personally.

34 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

The issue with that really is the power supply so.. that's why

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

There a reason why you need to upgrade from your 750Ti?

I have one myself, and I don't really see a reason to upgrade to a 105Ti/1060, personally.

Yeah.. it doesn't run Odyssey quite well.. like below 30 fps so that's why :/

Just now, dydx123 said:

Yeah.. it doesn't run Odyssey quite well.. like below 30 fps so that's why :/

You try changing the settings? Low, Medium, turning certain features off?

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You try changing the settings? Low, Medium, turning certain features off?

Yep.. at the lowest settings but you see the thing is that this GPU may last me a few more months and that's why I'm willing to wait it out for a new GPU but I'm sure that in 2019 this GPU will suffer quite a bit. And so I'm looking for a low-powered GPU that'll last me a couple more years.

1 minute ago, dydx123 said:

Yep.. at the lowest settings but you see the thing is that this GPU may last me a few more months and that's why I'm willing to wait it out for a new GPU but I'm sure that in 2019 this GPU will suffer quite a bit. And so I'm looking for a low-powered GPU that'll last me a couple more years.

Huh, what HP computer do you have, anyways?

I think you need a low profile version to fit it in there, right?

Those ones are normally less powered than their normal counterparts.

1 hour ago, dydx123 said:

Sadly, I have an HP machine so can't upgrade the PSU. 1050/Ti is the only that can work on a 320W PSU, right?

And do you really think there'd be so much price difference b/w GTX 1050Ti and GTX 2050 (non-Ti)?

What does the history say about this though?

RTX only refers to GPUs that have a ray-tracing core. And any card below 2070 won't have any RTX cores so... 

ahh yes, that PSU is a no go for the RX570.  Also, upgrading your non-standard PSU (even if possible) would destroy your budget anyway.

Soooooo ... I dunno.  If you can hang on a little bit maybe word will come out in the next 1, 2, 6 months with respect to the successor.  Seeing that there isn't much information with respect to the 2050, other than rumors, the 1050ti, today, would be a nice little upgrade from the 750ti.

Edit:  Oh, and it is a small form factor.  Ooof.  Maybe save up for a PS or Xbox?  :) 

1 minute ago, Jim K said:

ahh yes, that PSU is a no go for the RX570.  Also, upgrading your non-standard PSU (even if possible) would destroy your budget anyway.

Soooooo ... I dunno.  If you can hang on a little bit maybe word will come out in the next 1, 2, 6 months with respect to the successor.  Seeing that there isn't much information with respect to the 2050, other than rumors, the 1050ti, today, would be a nice little upgrade from the 750ti.

Edit:  Oh, and it is a small form factor.  Ooof.

Nah.. it's a mini-tower that's why there's 320W but yeah upgrading that PSU will have me getting a new PC so yeah here's crossing to GTX 2050 to be power-efficient just like 1050s :)

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I think you need a low profile version to fit it in there, right?

Those ones are normally less powered than their normal counterparts.

It's a mini tower so most sizes can fit in there :)