• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Backup / restore

Bruinator    18

What software do you use to backup/restore your phone to pc which is easy to use?

Bruinator    18

Anyone?

Nick H.    9,026

I backup my photos to the Google Drive. Everything else I don't mind if I lose it or not.

MarkusDarkus    116

^
Pretty Much. Large data is store on y server with RAID. Redundant but not backed up. I use PowerShell and Task Scheduler to archive Large data off my computer to the server.

goretsky    953

Hello,

A few times when I have reset my phone, I used the phone manufacturer's utility to back up the the data on the device to my PC.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

dipsylalapo    1,482

Yep as above, most of my important things are backed up to Google automatically. Everything else (emails, games, notes, chats) are mainly cloud based too so no need to back up there either. 

Helium or Titanium have both been recommended to me though. Both have a free and paid for version, depending on your specific requirements. 

InsaneNutter    1,173

Contacts are saved to my Google so just sync automatically.

For photos / video I just connect my phone to the PC via USB and back them up every so often, however automatic options can be enabled to back them up to Dropbox, Google or various other cloud providers if you have their app installed.

Most other stuff is cloud based, however to backup apps / data I use Titanium backup, that does require root though.

Bruinator    18
6 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

A few times when I have reset my phone, I used the phone manufacturer's utility to back up the the data on the device to my PC.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Does that include Apps and App data?

Bruinator    18

Does anyone use helium? If yes, may I ask questions about it Plz?

Thx

Bruinator    18
4 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Does anyone use helium? If yes, may I ask questions about it Plz?

Thx

OK, I am looking for the ADB drivers for desktop. Phone is vivo xl. I need the drivers for my desktop as the universal drivers do not work.

Bruinator    18
3 hours ago, Bruinator said:

OK, I am looking for the ADB drivers for desktop. Phone is vivo xl. I need the drivers for my desktop as the universal drivers do not work.

Anyone?

goretsky    953

Hello,

Yes, it did.  I also did a backup using my Google account as well, since you always want to have multiple, different backups of your data, just in case one of them has problems.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

10 hours ago, Bruinator said:

Does that include Apps and App data?

Bruinator    18
1 minute ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Yes, it did.  I also did a backup using my Google account as well, since you always want to have multiple, different backups of your data, just in case one of them has problems.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

What are the steps you took in getting it set up and how did you get it to your pc? I have a blu vivo xl if that is any help.

thx

goretsky    953

Hello,

I haven't done either for a while, so I don't recall the exact steps taken, but it was a matter of visiting the phone manufacturer's support web page for my particular model, downloading their particular management tool (Huawei HiSuite, Motorola Device Manager, Nokia PC Suite, etc.) and just installing it, plugging the phone into the PC via USB, and following the instructions to back it up in the software.

For the cloud backup, the last time I did one was on the Motorola device.  I selected Settings → Google → Backup to get to the backup screen, selected the Back up to Google Drive option and tapped the Back up now button.  This is an action you will likely want to do over Wi-Fi, instead of mobile data, as you could end up transferring several gigabytes of files.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky