Connecting LAN segments question

Seems to me his issue was just a firmware update of the moca devices, and he is now cooking with gas..

There ways to hide a cable for sure behind baseboards, Behind crown molding - and they sell stuff for the corners as well to hide cable.. But if its a pain to run, and he already has the coax there - yeah leverage it.. 950 is the best that is possible over gig ethernet...  If gig is limiting factor MoCa 2.5 can do 2.5gig and I do recall some talk of 3 being able to do 10ge..

edit:

yup10g.thumb.png.776b12e82b656e4d468f4884809366b2.png

From that road map 2018 was suppose to see MoCa 3.0 but have not seen any adapters available - but then again haven't really looked either..

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

Seems to me his issue was just a firmware update of the moca devices, and he is now cooking with gas..

There ways to hide a cable for sure behind baseboards, Behind crown molding - and they sell stuff for the corners as well to hide cable.. But if its a pain to run, and he already has the coax there - yeah leverage it.. 950 is the best that is possible over gig ethernet...  If gig is limiting factor MoCa 2.5 can do 2.5gig and I do recall some talk of 3 being able to do 10ge..

From that road map 2018 was suppose to see MoCa 3.0 but have not seen any adapters available - but then again haven't really looked either..

It's wire, so that's good! Something about coax just has me on edge, prob just memories of that thin black 10 mbit coax ethernet!

He said he was going to run ethernet anyways, so a temp run of cheap CAT-5 seemed like a way to just be simple and effective. Could just as easily run 3 x Cat-5 at the same time to get more bandwidth and/or redundancy.

Other then using smb3 multichannel over the say 2x wires - he doesn't seem to have enough clients to actually leverage something like a lacp/lagg load sharing connection over multiple wires.  And since his internet is not even close to gig I wouldn't see the point.  Multiple cables would just get him redundancy in the big picture.. Which wires RARELY go bad, unless something cut it..

If I was going to run a wire, he should prob run fiber so he could get a highspeed backbone in place.. Say 10ge or even not too far off in the future 40 at reasonable prices..

If he had a ton of clients on side and a high speed nas on the other than sure lagg could load share and provide more speed than the 1 gig... But 2.5 moca is available now if he needed more backbone speed.. Just need the switch(es) with the 802.3bz connections to leverage it.

He is prob good for now if his moca is stable as it should be and pushing its full rated speed as it seems to be.

Its not the the thin/thicknet ###### from back in the day any more ;)

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

edit:

2.5 is finally out, but only for service providers.  This does appear more stable with the new firmware. It doesn't seem to drop the line when under heavy load.

11 hours ago, DevTech said:

Never before seen plain old ordinary efficiency and effectiveness described as cute, but then again imagining the beautiful unrestricted copper wire pulsing with energy....

Trust me when I say this, there is no easy way to run cable between the locations. No shared attic, no shared basement. The current cable goes through a ceiling, into a crawlway, exits behind another room, goes around the exterior of the house and comes back in by the chimney.  

1 hour ago, Joe User said:

Trust me when I say this, there is no easy way to run cable between the locations. No shared attic, no shared basement. The current cable goes through a ceiling, into a crawlway, exits behind another room, goes around the exterior of the house and comes back in by the chimney.  

Ah ye old Santa Claus routing!

I have a similar situation to you, except that our area only support up to ~36 Mbts down, ~2.5Mbts up (while 10 minutes away by foot, it is possible to get up to ~78Mbts down, ~3Mbts up (there is only one DSL provider in our country, like several other fields, due to government politics, and they certainly use their position as the monopoly leader, I wish that Fiber was available in more than 3 areas, and even then, only partially, again, due to government politics)).

My plan is to use a Netgear DM200 (running OpenWRT) as the VDSL2 modem/DHCP provider, a Xiaomi Mi3G (running PandoraBox) as the main home router (we also have thick concrete walls), and a TP-Link WA850-RA (running OpenWRT, the stock firmware is extremely unstable) as an extender, for our home network.

As for my personal work network (I'm building a computer lab in my room, and I am in the exact opposite part of the house from the main router (our house is also old enough to require drilling to add even one ethernet port, and the phone ports are in the worst spots for a proper wireless network)), I intend to get 2 Powerline adapters (I'm still researching what I should get for my needs), in order to provide networking directly to my room, where I intend to put an (at least) 8-port gigabit managed switch (there is a shop about half an hour away that sells 2nd hand enterprise hardware, so probably an HP, based upon what they generally have in stock, I'm on a tight budget, which is why this is getting dragged for several months, and probably will continue getting dragged for a few more months, unfortunately/fortunately I still live with my parents, so I also need to keep that in the equation), and our current Xiaomi Mi 3 (currently running Padavan, will run PandoraBox) as the router (under the switch, I need support for local gigabit speeds for my projects).

I'm sorry that this is half a rant, I'm used to explaining myself.

And while this obviously wont suit you, it may help for some brainstorming (I think there are some gigabit Powerline adapters, however they are very expensive).

It is always hard for me to imagine how in these so called "impossible to run a wire" situations, the person is describing rooms that they walk into every day and not some remote research station on Antarctica...

If you can walk there, you can carry a giant spool of CAT-5 on your shoulder and spool out tons of cable wherever you walk.

10 hours ago, moriel5 said:

(I think there are some gigabit Powerline adapters, however they are very expensive).

So you didn't bother reading the thread at all?  And sorry but they are not "expensive" They are cheaper then the moca adapters he purchased ;)

• Like 2

"If you can walk there, you can carry a giant spool of CAT-5 on your shoulder and spool out tons of cable wherever you walk"

I'm tempted to make that my sig...

Any re-wording suggestions?

While I hear ya - if there is a will there is a way..

If its too complicated for the actual home owner to do, or too much work - the great thing is there are these professionals ;) that actually do this for their job.. You call them - they come out and do all the "hard" work for you..

Might cost you a few bills.. But so did those moca adapters..

But if there is already a wire there, just not ethernet - and you can run ethernet over it with some "adapters" then sure why not.. Quick solution for sure.. And since he is seeing full speed on it - it seems to have worked out for him..

3 minutes ago, BudMan said:

While I hear ya - if there is a will there is a way..

If its too complicated for the actual home owner to do, or too much work - the great thing is there are these professionals ;) that actually do this for their job.. You call them - they come out and do all the "hard" work for you..

Might cost you a few bills.. But so did those moca adapters..

But if there is already a wire there, just not ethernet - and you can run ethernet over it with some "adapters" then sure why not.. Quick solution for sure.. And since he is seeing full speed on it - it seems to have worked out for him..

Sure , I agree with you there 100%.

So many forum questions would never have happened if people just paused for a moment and said to themselves "Wait, what am I thinking? I can run a wire in 10 minutes and I'm all done"

But the ones that have elevated "wire blindness" to an art form describe a building they walk around in every day from room to room as "impossible" to run wire without presumably realizing how crazy ridiculous that sounds.

Could be true I guess if they were ghosts and every room was locked in a dungeon but if those creatures really needed internet, couldn't they just use the Dark Web? Who ya gonna call?

My choice for rewiring would involve either going over the front door, then through the garage, kitchen, dining room and into the living room all while tearing up tiles and molding.  The second choice would have involved going through 5 doorways, a staircase and tearing up concrete and molding.  The third choice is to go into the attic, across 2 bedrooms and out the back of the roof, then down the outside of the house and across to the point behind the chimney, which is where the current wire is. I didn't design the house, it's 1980's ranch type style and incredibly difficult to run new cables and no, my family won't allow cable raceways.

This is all because the cable company will not run a cable to the west side of my house, as they require the cable to come into the house near the phone and electricity. And they refused to connect up to the older wiring because I wasn't ordering extra cable boxes for the office and the living room is where the modem was before. 

That being said, it's working great now and the $150 on MoCA adapters was far less than the quotes I got to run new Cat 6.

39 minutes ago, Joe User said:

My choice for rewiring would involve either going over the front door, then through the garage, kitchen, dining room and into the living room all while tearing up tiles and molding.  The second choice would have involved going through 5 doorways, a staircase and tearing up concrete and molding.  The third choice is to go into the attic, across 2 bedrooms and out the back of the roof, then down the outside of the house and across to the point behind the chimney, which is where the current wire is. I didn't design the house, it's 1980's ranch type style and incredibly difficult to run new cables and no, my family won't allow cable raceways.

This is all because the cable company will not run a cable to the west side of my house, as they require the cable to come into the house near the phone and electricity. And they refused to connect up to the older wiring because I wasn't ordering extra cable boxes for the office and the living room is where the modem was before. 

That being said, it's working great now and the $150 on MoCA adapters was far less than the quotes I got to run new Cat 6.

It's good that it worked out. 

From past experience, I know I would have been very naughty and just threw down wire runs everywhere and then quick paint it the color of the walls while everyone else was sleeping. :)

2 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It's good that it worked out. 

From past experience, I know I would have been very naughty and just threw down wire runs everywhere and then quick paint it the color of the walls while everyone else was sleeping. :)

I have been explicitly banned from doing something like that after the last place. 

28 minutes ago, Joe User said:

I have been explicitly banned from doing something like that after the last place. 

There is a 1st Amendment argument for free access to wires! And Right of Assembly means assembling lots of wires and gizmos wherever you want right? Those Founders sure had the foresight to know that CAT-5 would be vital to democracy!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 11:22 AM, BudMan said:

So you didn't bother reading the thread at all?  And sorry but they are not "expensive" They are cheaper then the moca adapters he purchased ;)

Sorry, I am still learning, so I only now have the chance to read what MoCa is.

Update: Now that I had read about MoCa, I agree, that would be a good choice for the OP (not for me, though, we have even less coaxial ports than ethernet ports (and while I do have a coaxial port right above (~3cm) my bed, it would only serve to connect to the extender, which does not help anyone but me, and even then, barely, as our extenders (one is bricked until I repair it) are low quality TP-Link extenders.