Millions 'will suffer without cash'

Do you use cash (notes/coins)?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use cash (notes/coins)?

• I used both
    • Cash only
    • Completely cashless (but use cash when I have to)

1 minute ago, Brys said:

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. My boss handled that for some clients but I never paid much attention. I don't remember if they just pay the charges every time you pay, if they have to buy or rent the card readers, etc... I remember one also having to pass some security certifications linked to that... So yeah, it's not free. They still charge you 30$, but some of those have to go to the card people at some point.

We still think this place is a front for money laundering, but they have good food so....*shrug* :D

I can count the number of times I've withdrawn cash at an ATM on one hand. I've used plastic since I've had a checking account (18 years). Cash is extremely inconvenient, takes forever, and usually change in coins just sloshes around my car and gets lost. I also get annoyed that one bill requires me mail with a check as they don't do any online commerce, I literally have to order a book of checks just for this one bill.

45 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

I too prefer to tip with cash. It does two things, first is less in fees the merchant has to cover and second, the server gets immediate (unaccounted) compensation.  

I've been a server, it doesn't work that way. I was required to report tips of any form, cash or electronic. If i didn't report my cash tips, management would assume there was a problem with service and would start asking questions... i.e why do you continuously have zero tips on multiple tables a night? Either you get in trouble because you didn't report cash earnings, or you get in trouble because management assumes bad service. It's easier to just report the cash tips instead of trying to constantly concoct stories about how they were just bad patrons, and how they literally paid for their meal in exact change down to the pennies, especially when nobody else seems to have a stream of $0 tips.

Edited by shockz

43 minutes ago, shockz said:

I can count the number of times I've withdrawn cash at an ATM on one hand. I've used plastic since I've had a checking account (18 years). Cash is extremely inconvenient, takes forever, and usually change in coins just sloshes around my car and gets lost. I also get annoyed that one bill requires me mail with a check as they don't do any online commerce, I literally have to order a book of checks just for this one bill.

Yeah, the more time passes the more it feels to me like going to an ATM is a chore. I just want to go to the store and buy the thing and go back home, why do I need to withdraw the money before I give it away to the store ? I may be lazy, but damn

41 minutes ago, shockz said:

I've been a server, it doesn't work that way. I was required to report tips of any form, cash or electronic. If i didn't report my cash tips, management would assume there was a problem with service and would start asking questions... i.e why do you continuously have zero tips on multiple tables a night? Either you get in trouble because you didn't report cash earnings, or you get in trouble because management assumes bad service. It's easier to just report the cash tips instead of trying to constantly concoct stories about how they were just bad patrons, and how they literally paid for their meal in exact change down to the pennies, especially when nobody else seems to have a stream of $0 tips.

I used to work at a pizza place; servers only reported 10% of their tips. Unless they were on card slips of course. 

54 minutes ago, shockz said:

Never realized that. Thanks for the heads up! That said, it likely depends greatly on the location, management etc.