Utah student's 911 calls asked police to stop her harasser. Days later she was murdered

McCluskey_Lauren_UURUN17.JPG

(CNN)Lauren McCluskey was both concerned and frustrated when she called Salt Lake City Police on October 19.

A convicted sex offender whom she had met just a month earlier was continually harassing her after she ended their short relationship. But police at the University of Utah, where she was a student, weren't doing enough to put a stop to it, she said in a call to 911.

"I'm worried because I've been working with the campus police at the U, and last Saturday I reported and I haven't gotten an update," she told Salt Lake City Police dispatch.

"They haven't updated or done anything," she added.

That 911 call and one other from McCluskey were obtained by CNN just days after a review of the case from the Utah Department of Public Safety examined what could have been done differently to prevent her death.

McCluskey, a 21-year-old University of Utah senior and track athlete, was shot and killed by that harasser, 37-year-old Melvin Rowland, on October 22, officials say. Rowland, a convicted sex offender who had spent more than a decade in prison, killed himself hours later after a police chase, university police said.

The review of the killing found that University of Utah officers did not know how to look up criminal background or parole information, CNN affiliate KUTV said. The review also found that Rowland had been released on parole three separate times, and had violated his parole and returned to prison twice.

The university said that these issues were more system-wide and not related to any individual wrongdoing or mistakes.

"The review team's report identified gaps in training, awareness and enforcement of certain policies rather than lapses in individual performance," the university said.

[...]

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/25/us/utah-student-killed-911-lauren-mccluskey/index.html

4 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

The review of the killing found that University of Utah officers did not know how to look up criminal background or parole information, CNN affiliate KUTV said. The review also found that Rowland had been released on parole three separate times, and had violated his parole and returned to prison twice.

The university said that these issues were more system-wide and not related to any individual wrongdoing or mistakes.

"The review team's report identified gaps in training, awareness and enforcement of certain policies rather than lapses in individual performance," the university said.

Sounds to me like they are doing a C-Y-A, rather then accepting that they messed up, and basically allowed this to happen. How can a law enforcement agency not know how to do background checks? That to me screams how incompetent they must be! Also claiming that they found gaps in training, sounds to me like the department doesn't do the mandatory training(s) that all LEO's must go through, and whoever is in charge of the training is either, not doing their job, or it is just another C-Y-A

33 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Sounds to me like they are doing a C-Y-A, rather then accepting that they messed up, and basically allowed this to happen. How can a law enforcement agency not know how to do background checks? That to me screams how incompetent they must be! Also claiming that they found gaps in training, sounds to me like the department doesn't do the mandatory training(s) that all LEO's must go through, and whoever is in charge of the training is either, not doing their job, or it is just another C-Y-A

It's more than that.

You have to read the original article.

She called the police 6 times

The police didn't open a case until a week after she initially called and, after the case was opened, nothing was done until she was murdered because the police officer working on her case was off-duty.

It was a week and a half from when she first called to when she was murdered and the police did next to nothing that entire time.

• Sad 2