Ads Showing Up

11 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

So what am I downloading from that site, firmware?

Did you bother reading my original post? I stated the size and version (hint there is only one file that meets the criteria on that website). If you can't figure out what piece to download, I am not sure I'd recommend flashing anything as you can brick your device if done improperly. Just my 2 cents.

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Did you bother reading my original post? I stated the size and version (hint there is only one file that meets the criteria on that website). If you can't figure out what piece to download, I am not sure I'd recommend flashing anything as you can brick your device if done improperly. Just my 2 cents.

He didn’t even finish reading my post. Just the first few words and then assumed the rest. 

2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You guys are really helpful /s

To my credit, I provided you with a link to the download page, the version number of the file and the file size. I guess I could've just linked directly to the ZIP, but I find this a better solution so you can read the fixes and see what you are downloading, rather than just clicking a zip I linked. Guess next time I just wont provide anything and pass right over your topic.

16 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You guys are really helpful /s

I assumed that was a model number, not a file name....

I asked you a question you decided to not answer. Help us, help you. 

Um, @Circaflex, you posted a firmware version from 2017/03/16, I have firmware version 2017/08/05...

So, older firmware 90% of the time doesn't help anything.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

Um, @Circaflex, you posted a firmware version from 2017/03/16, I have firmware version 2017/08/05...

So, older firmware 90% of the time doesn't help anything.

Great, no where have you mentioned what version you are running. In this case, you could easily use the old firmware, test out and see if the ads appear. If they do, you know it is part of the OEM image, if they dont show up, you can further test by upgrading via OTA to the newest and repeat the steps. You really are a glass half empty type guy.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Great, no where have you mentioned what version you are running. In this case, you could easily use the old firmware, test out and see if the ads appear. If they do, you know it is part of the OEM image, if they dont show up, you can further test by upgrading via OTA to the newest and repeat the steps. You really are a glass half empty type guy.

Umm, you never asked... In troubleshooting, that is the FIRST thing I would ask...

Umm, you never asked... In troubleshooting, that is the FIRST thing I would ask...

So this is my fault? LOL. I think I have actually found the work around or solution to see what app is sending you scummy traffic, but at this point you'll just say its my fault for something. Best of luck kid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

If it’s the first thing you would have asked, then why wasn’t it the first thing you offered in information?

• Thanks 1

Let me say something here: I used that exact model phone for almost a year and never had ads popping up on it, now granted I have not used that phone for ~1 year, but I have also used multiple phones and have never had pop up ads on them, unless you downloaded some sketchy apk from an unknown site, I would be surprised about a pop up ad just randomly appearing if I never downloaded anything except via the play store, I also know that it is possible for a 'bad' apk to make it to the play store, but it seems unlikely. I would suggest just what @Circaflex linked you, even if it is an older version, just to make certain that the issue is not the image.

I found a guide here on how to reset the phone to the stock image, complete with links, also a quick search "pop up ads on asus zenfone z00td" in google or whatever you use, pointed me to a youtube video, now the person talking was not using english, but it was very clear that the pop up ads he was getting were from Google Ads, I am going to link the video, but not embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkyZI8SWIk

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Let me say something here: I used that exact model phone for almost a year and never had ads popping up on it, now granted I have not used that phone for ~1 year, but I have also used multiple phones and have never had pop up ads on them, unless you downloaded some sketchy apk from an unknown site, I would be surprised about a pop up ad just randomly appearing if I never downloaded anything except via the play store, I also know that it is possible for a 'bad' apk to make it to the play store, but it seems unlikely. I would suggest just what @Circaflex linked you, even if it is an older version, just to make certain that the issue is not the image.

I found a guide here on how to reset the phone to the stock image, complete with links, also a quick search "pop up ads on asus zenfone z00td" in google or whatever you use, pointed me to a youtube video, now the person talking was not using english, but it was very clear that the pop up ads he was getting were from Google Ads, I am going to link the video, but not embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkyZI8SWIk

Yeah, this was one of your phones you sold me :)

I can't stand these india guys... But I'll try to listen...

15 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, this was one of your phones you sold me :)

I can't stand these india guys... But I'll try to listen...

Was it even in English? I really could not understand anything said! :)

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Was it even in English? I really could not understand anything said! :)

I tried actually to watch the video of exact where he is finding this stuff...

Did you find the video helpful (despite the unintelligible talking)? I will be interested to see what happens with your issue. Do you by any chance have another cell phone that you can use and restore all the apps (except the Asus ones) to, just another troubleshooting method?

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Did you find the video helpful (despite the unintelligible talking)? I will be interested to see what happens with your issue. Do you by any chance have another cell phone that you can use and restore all the apps (except the Asus ones) to, just another troubleshooting method?

My Dad is using my old Samsung Galaxy SIII. He said he never got these ads. :huh:

My Dad is using my old Samsung Galaxy SIII. He said he never got these ads. :huh:

So that seems to point one of two ways, either the phone is somehow infected (which would seem odd considering you just wiped it) or it could be the Google ads, that are mentioned in the video. Or you somehow ended up with a rouge app that continues to make it past the play stores scans (which I know nothing about how works).

2 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So that seems to point one of two ways, either the phone is somehow infected (which would seem odd considering you just wiped it) or it could be the Google ads, that are mentioned in the video. Or you somehow ended up with a rouge app that continues to make it past the play stores scans (which I know nothing about how works).

He wiped it and then restored his accounts, which restores apps, which probably reintroduced the problem. 

I had alluded to this a page ago but

was ignored. 

4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

He wiped it and then restored his accounts, which restores apps, which probably reintroduced the problem. 

I had alluded to this a page ago but

was ignored. 

Yeah probably, that or it got backed into the system partition or cache which putting clean firmware on would fix.

i would factory wipe it and only restore contacts, then slowly add your google play items giving them a chance to see what happens, then you will eventually find what is causing the ads, because it isnt normal

1 hour ago, 1337ish said:

Yeah probably, that or it got backed into the system partition or cache which putting clean firmware on would fix.

Cache can be deleted from recovery. 👍

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you could adb into the phone from a command prompt to see what packages are actively running, and google each one. I think it's 

adb shell ps