Ghostbusters (2020)


 Share

Recommended Posts

Please don't screw this up, please don't screw this up, please don't......

 

 

Quote

//

 

Entertainment Weekly has learned exclusively that Jason Reitman will direct and co-write an upcoming film set in the world that was saved decades previously by the proton pack-wearing working stiffs in the original 1984 movie, which was directed by his father, Ivan Reitman.

 

“I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says. “This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day.”

 

Sony Pictures has dated the film for Summer 2020, with plans to start shooting in a few months.

 

It’s still too soon to reveal the plot of the screenplay, who the new characters will be, or whether the original actors like Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, or Bill Murray will return. Harold Ramis died in 2014.

 

“This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet,” says Reitman, who co-wrote the screenplay with Monster House and Poltergeist remake filmmaker Gil Kenan.

 

//snip

 

Entertainment Weekly

 

Same world as the original...directed by the son of the original director.  I have hopes for this...looking forward to future information (casting) and trailers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, sava700 said:

About time -the one with the women (no disrespect) was absolutely garbage!!

I enjoyed the all women one, it was fine. My main issue wasn't them or the movie itself, but the decision to reboot the franchise and pretend the originals didn't happen. They could of been the daughters of the original Ghostbusters or just randoms who got inspired by them, so many ways to respect the originals. Instead that just pretend it didn't happen. So I don't need to pretend that movie didn't exist, because it did that itself by removing itself from the canon of the original movies.

 

I have mixed feelings about this, however, if they could get Rick Moranis to make a cameo (or even a bigger part) that would be awesome. Since Harold Ramis has left this world, I'd assume they'll just have it the character has passed on too since this looks to be picking up quite a few years after Ghostbusters 2. I hope they don't try to CGI him back, I loved the character Egon but I don't want someone else playing him and/or using CGI trickery to make it seem he is back. Out of respect to the actor. Considering the ages of the surviving actors, this will most likely be a "passing the torch" to the next generation type of movie. This is what the all female Ghostbusters *should* of been. Let's seen if they can get it right this time...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

I enjoyed the all women one, it was fine. My main issue wasn't them or the movie itself, but the decision to reboot the franchise and pretend the originals didn't happen. They could of been the daughters of the original Ghostbusters or just randoms who got inspired by them, so many ways to respect the originals. Instead that just pretend it didn't happen. So I don't need to pretend that movie didn't exist, because it did that itself by removing itself from the canon of the original movies.

 

I have mixed feelings about this, however, if they could get Rick Moranis to make a cameo (or even a bigger part) that would be awesome. Since Harold Ramis has left this world, I'd assume they'll just have it the character has passed on too since this looks to be picking up quite a few years after Ghostbusters 2. I hope they don't try to CGI him back, I loved the character Egon but I don't want someone else playing him and/or using CGI trickery to make it seem he is back. Out of respect to the actor. Considering the ages of the surviving actors, this will most likely be a "passing the torch" to the next generation type of movie. This is what the all female Ghostbusters *should* of been. Let's seen if they can get it right this time...

I tried to get through the last one after it came to video but gave up on it quickly.  To be fair, I plan to run at it again. A 5.3 rating makes it at least watchable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

""I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says."

 

Let's hope he can actually do it. Just because he's the guys son doesn't mean he's capable of making the same kind of movie.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, trag3dy said:

""I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans,” Reitman says."

 

Let's hope he can actually do it. Just because he's the guys son doesn't mean he's capable of making the same kind of movie.

Ivan is allegedly on board too...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So will this be a reboot or a completely different story? I thought the original was not all that good, but then again it was the 80's as well, CGI has made massive improvements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So will this be a reboot or a completely different story? I thought the original was not all that good, but then again it was the 80's as well, CGI has made massive improvements.

Sequel this time. They tried doing a reboot and well it didn't end well. So now they are giving fans what they really want, a true sequel! although it probably won't be the sequel most fans expect. The original (surviving) actors are getting on abit now, it will most likely be more a "passing the torch" type of movie. I got no problem with that as that is what the all female movie *should* of been. Pay respect to the guys who started it, have one last hurrah and by the end the new guys are ready to take over. That is what I'm hoping for anyway. So take with a grain of salt...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Xerxes said:

I hope they don't try to CGI him back, I loved the character Egon but I don't want someone else playing him and/or using CGI trickery to make it seem he is back. Out of respect to the actor.

I see what you're saying, but at the same time I think it could be kinda cool if there were maybe a passing shot of him as a ghost, similar to the way Ron Jeremy appears in the first film: you'd miss him if you didn't know to look for him.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

So will this be a reboot or a completely different story? I thought the original was not all that good, but then again it was the 80's as well, CGI has made massive improvements.

The original holds strong - it's not about the CGI, it's about it being a damned funny comedy that uses the supernatural as a setting.  The CGI in the all-female reboot was fine, but the film itself was dirge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have not seen the all female one, what was it called? I might have to see about watching it just to say I did!

55 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

The original holds strong - it's not about the CGI, it's about it being a damned funny comedy that uses the supernatural as a setting.  The CGI in the all-female reboot was fine, but the film itself was dirge.

Oh, I agree with you there, for its time the movie was a damned good one, but it wasn't all that good, it just was a more radical approach to the supernatural genre, which there weren't many at that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

but it wasn't all that good

Not arguing just curious, what did you dislike about it?

 

I found it scary in places (I was about 5),I did and do still find it funny & engaging - to the point it's become iconic and utterly quotable, almost a template for it's genre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking forward to see what Ivan Reitman's son comes up with but I am confident it won't destroy the franchise like the terrible reboot one did.

 

I saw the Ghostbusters maxipad one at Christmas (it was on TV) and Hollyweird needs to stop trying to be all PC, because it is getting old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I see what you're saying, but at the same time I think it could be kinda cool if there were maybe a passing shot of him as a ghost, similar to the way Ron Jeremy appears in the first film: you'd miss him if you didn't know to look for him.

That would be cool actually if the other original cast members come back.  Don't include him as a normal CGI character, but showing him like this would be a nice tribute in the film.

 

Never could bring myself to watch the reboot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I saw the Ghostbusters maxipad one at Christmas (it was on TV) and Hollyweird needs to stop trying to be all PC, because it is getting old.

So here's the thing... I don't see it as "being PC" because it absolutely wasn't - it was just a bad film, unfunny and simplistic with a weak story.  Sony knew this, but very slyly wound up the "Hollywood being PC" brigade so they could ad-homonym.  "Didn't like the film?  That's because you're a scared little misogynist."

 

So why wasn't it PC?

 

The original, we have Winston - very much a member of the team who happens to be black.  It's not part of his "character" per-se, he's not a stereotype or such - he just happens to be black.

Then the new version we have Patty, very much the equivalent many would argue as the sole black member of the group.  And we see her stereotyping it up with "aw hell naw" comments and so on.

The maxipad reboot was very much a step backwards for actually addressing and integrating black people into the movies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can only hope that they make a good one.  I wouldn't even mind if they ripped off the video game completely and brought that to the big screen.  There was a lot of content there which was great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Human.Online said:

So here's the thing... I don't see it as "being PC" because it absolutely wasn't - it was just a bad film, unfunny and simplistic with a weak story.  Sony knew this, but very slyly wound up the "Hollywood being PC" brigade so they could ad-homonym.  "Didn't like the film?  That's because you're a scared little misogynist."

 

So why wasn't it PC?

 

The original, we have Winston - very much a member of the team who happens to be black.  It's not part of his "character" per-se, he's not a stereotype or such - he just happens to be black.

Then the new version we have Patty, very much the equivalent many would argue as the sole black member of the group.  And we see her stereotyping it up with "aw hell naw" comments and so on.

The maxipad reboot was very much a step backwards for actually addressing and integrating black people into the movies.

It wasnt about racial equality but gender "justice", and this wasnt the only movie being re-done with all female characters... and whatever male characters were introduced, they were either dumb or evil... It's Hollywood's attempt to reset the gender baseline... from Movies to Games...

BTW original Ghostbusters were classic... and yes as someone else mentioned, it wasnt about the special effects but about the story and comedy behind it.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

It wasnt about racial equality but gender "justice", and this wasnt the only movie being re-done with all female characters... and whatever male characters were introduced, they were either dumb or evil... It's Hollywood's attempt to reset the gender baseline... from Movies to Games...

BTW original Ghostbusters were classic... and yes as someone else mentioned, it wasnt about the special effects but about the story and comedy behind it.

 

Yes! You hit the nail on the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/17/2019 at 12:37 AM, sava700 said:

About time -the one with the women (no disrespect) was absolutely garbage!!

I am with you on this, the women one ruined it for me. This is a film series i grew up with and it got ruined by this utter garbage.

 

Hopefully this one is all male.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Orange said:

This is a film series i grew up with and it got ruined by this utter garbage.

While I agree, it was utter tripe... How did it it ruin it?  Did it go back and retrospectively alter the films?  Did it make you remember them less fondly?

 

Personally, it made me re-watch and enjoy the original (and GB2 is not an amazing film so let's not act like the "originals" did no wrong).  And you could argue that Sony/Columbia have learned what people actually want, and the 2016 re-hash made sufficient money to prompt them to keep the franchise on-radar but learn from the mistakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm optimistic. And as for Egon, I'd be up for an appearance as a ghost, perhaps played by his voice actor from The Real Ghostbusters. 

 

The new cast doesn't have to be all-male IMO, just handled better than the reboot. Perhaps borrow some ideas from Extreme Ghostbusters, which had a more diverse cast of characters without feeling forced or pandering. Only with better writing, of course. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will await casting and info on director, etc until I decide to see it. I'm hoping it is at least as socially conscious as the 'reboot' film and that they hire cast and crew from a non-profit service that seeks to diversify cast and crew such as Free The Bid. If it's just some chest thumping ultra-macho type film then I doubt I'll be interested.

  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Steven P. unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.