Got a second LG v20 to unlock the boot loader and install a custom rom.

So I've been really wanting the Feb 2019 security updates to patch the PNG vulnerability. Since LG gave us the middle finger, I bought a used (like new) vs995 on eBay for ($109) .. downgraded it and unlocked the bootloader. Yesterday I flashed Lineage OS 14.1.

Today I see they released all the new Lineage 14.1 roms with the February 2019 security updates for the different v20's but they deleted the Verizon vs995 section (The last update it had was December 2018).

So, I thought I would get creative.

I downloaded the us996 version that was just updated today, and unzipped it and then opened META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script

Then replaced everything on this line that said us996 with vs995 this way, it wouldn't bomb out when trying to flash it via TWRP saying it's incompatible and made for another phone.

Before

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "us996" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "us996" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: vs995; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

After

assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "vs995" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "vs995" || abort("E3004: This package is for device: vs995; this device is " + getprop("ro.product.device") + "."););

I rezipped it with 7zip, dirty flashed it and after about 10 mins or so the boot process had finished.

After the dirty flash, All of the following works and I haven't had any random reboots.

All of the following works

Making calls
Receiving call

Mobile Data
Text messaging
Camera

WIFI

46285817955_4fb00916f3_c.jpg

The one thing i've always loved about Lineage OS is the Privacy Guard.

Because of it I get amazing battery life. Lets me fine tune apps such as Amazon For instance.

Run in the background? NOPE! .. Prevent phone from sleeping ... NOPE ... Launch on startup ... WTF...God no.

Unplugged my phone at 7am and at 9:30 battery is still at 100%

10am

46485947454_f92fd896a5_c.jpg

16 hours ago, warwagon said:

The one thing i've always loved about Lineage OS is the Privacy Guard.

Because of it I get amazing battery life. Lets me fine tune apps such as Amazon For instance.

Run in the background? NOPE! .. Prevent phone from sleeping ... NOPE ... Launch on startup ... WTF...God no.

Unplugged my phone at 7am and at 9:30 battery is still at 100%

10am

46485947454_f92fd896a5_c.jpg

What is your SOT? These types of posts dont ever paint the real picture. Do you just not turn the phone on at all and just keep the screen off?

Also, the reason the data is probably not working as intended, speed-wise, is the blobs aren't there. I dealt with this a lot when I used to compile and contribute to cyanogenmod sprint devices.

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

What is your SOT? These types of posts dont ever paint the real picture. Do you just not turn the phone on at all and just keep the screen off?

Also, the reason the data is probably not working as intended, speed-wise, is the blobs aren't there. I dealt with this a lot when I used to compile and contribute to cyanogenmod sprint devices.

Great point. I'm just happy I can press the power button and have my phone go to sleep and use little to no battery. It's not something I should be excited about, but in the past, i've lost upwards of 2.5% pe hour just doing nothing. I used wakelock detectors tweaked it a little and It got it a little better. My s7 was the absolute worst when I first got it and before I debloated it. There were probably other issues, but I was loosing 10% every 30 mins with the phone sleeping. But this is also why I really love Privacy guard in this rom

My Oreo stock install on my other v20 it isn't horrible, but when it goes to sleep it delays my text message notifications.

Mobile data speed works fine after all. Fast.com was just a horrible speedtest source. After trying another one my speeds were fine.

god I hate Verizon and am glad I got off their network a long time ago; most of the time the only difference on the Verizon variants is the branding/model tag (as you've seen with your test here). A lot of times now a days the radios aren't even different they just turn off the frequencies they don't need...

Lineage OS is fantastic, I love how so many older devices can get many new version of Android and many additional years of security updates.

I’m also a big fan of the privacy guard feature, I have it enabled by default and restrict the permissions of many apps.

My other favourite feature is allowing the notification LED to always be on and a certain colour depending which app has given the notification.

As of Android Pie its great been able to move the clock back to the right, so only apps with notifications appear on the left (as it should be!)

In general, I like all the little tweaks. Having used CyanogenMod / LineageOS for many years I’d find it hard to justify going back to stock Android, or any other Android variant now. Good Lineage OS support would be a key factor when purchasing a new device for me.

1 hour ago, InsaneNutter said:

Lineage OS is fantastic, I love how so many older devices can get many new version of Android and many additional years of security updates.

I’m also a big fan of the privacy guard feature, I have it enabled by default and restrict the permissions of many apps.

My other favourite feature is allowing the notification LED to always be on and a certain colour depending which app has given the notification.

As of Android Pie its great been able to move the clock back to the right, so only apps with notifications appear on the left (as it should be!)

In general, I like all the little tweaks. Having used CyanogenMod / LineageOS for many years I’d find it hard to justify going back to stock Android, or any other Android variant now. Good Lineage OS support would be a key factor when purchasing a new device for me.

Yes I love privacy guard. It's such a great battery saver too. Telling apps go close own when you exit them and get their ass out of the background.

• 4 months later...

Today I took the plunge into Lineage OS 16 installing over the top 15.1 and charged it to 100% and let it sit idle for 1 hour. After 1 hour I was at 99% (it wasn't very far into 100%). I do use the heck out of privacy guard and attribute my Good idle battery life because of it. Only a slew of apps are allowed to Startup with the phone, run in the background, stay wake and give me notifications.

After playing around with it for a while I noticed the camera performed noticeably better with 16 than with 15.1. Also tried youtube without issue. Fingerprints worked too.