How to disable vertical left and right bars on Android Pie desktop?

So I got the Android Pie update with One UI - which for the most part is great - however since installing I now have vertical bars left and right on the desktop that I can't find the setting for to disable. These bars appear to prevent swipe altogether, because to get to the next page I have to swipe above or below the bars.

D0Ubaq9WoAAsbO1.jpg

I use Nova Launcher, I tried the Samsung default Launcher to see if it was something implemented by Nova and they stay on the screen. It also is nothing to do with the 'Edge Touch' app that is installed with the Pie update through the Galaxy App store. 

I did a few Google searches and couldn't find anything relating to my 'problem'. 

What happens when you swipe on those bars? I have an S8+ on Oreo, and my right 'bar' is the edge panel, which I find greatly useful. I'm not sure it's the edge panel, since you can only have it be on one side. In Oreo, Settings -> Display -> Edge Screen. Curious to see what causes this as I will get Pie one day

1 hour ago, tsupersonic said:

What happens when you swipe on those bars? I have an S8+ on Oreo, and my right 'bar' is the edge panel, which I find greatly useful. I'm not sure it's the edge panel, since you can only have it be on one side. In Oreo, Settings -> Display -> Edge Screen. Curious to see what causes this as I will get Pie one day

It appears to prevent swipe. It isn't an 'Edge' setting as I've tried all those, and another annoying thing about the Pie update is that sometimes the desktop becomes unresponsive, I have to lock > unlock to get it going again :/ 

On 2/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, Steven P. said:

It appears to prevent swipe. It isn't an 'Edge' setting as I've tried all those, and another annoying thing about the Pie update is that sometimes the desktop becomes unresponsive, I have to lock > unlock to get it going again :/ 

It's one hand operation (from Samsung Good Lock) 

13 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

It's one hand operation (from Samsung Good Lock) 

Good Lock doesn't even show in the Galaxy App store and it isn't on my phone, so that isn't it.

BTW Android Pie is crap on the S8, constant screen freezes and lock ups :/ 

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Good Lock doesn't even show in the Galaxy App store and it isn't on my phone, so that isn't it.

Try installing App Inspector, it will show you everything that is installed on your phone, and if Good lock shows up, then you can follow this guide on how to uninstall it (and the other crapware) that comes preinstalled

40 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Oh, I saw a reddit post on the S8 subreddit, where someone had the same issue, and it wound up to be the One hand operation. I don't know then. 

That's a bummer. Did you do a factory reset, or wipe the cache? I know when I get Pie, I am probably going to factory reset my phone to start clean. How's your battery life? 

44 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Try installing App Inspector, it will show you everything that is installed on your phone, and if Good lock shows up, then you can follow this guide on how to uninstall it (and the other crapware) that comes preinstalled

Thanks for the reminder about App Inspector, I found what was causing it, the app is called One Hand Operation + I force stopped it and the left and right bars went away, now to find how to adjust the setting in the app.

When I try to enable the app I get a message saying OS is unsupported, update needed lol. I guess it will enable itself if I reboot my phone.

24 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Thanks for the reminder about App Inspector, I found what was causing it, the app is called One Hand Operation + I force stopped it and the left and right bars went away, now to find how to adjust the setting in the app.

Didn't I say it was One Hand Operation lol! 😋

2 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

Didn't I say it was One Hand Operation lol! 😋

Yeah but it wasn't from Good Lock 😛 I tried to install the apk ages ago on Nougat and it didn't work bah humbug 😛 

49 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Yeah but it wasn't from Good Lock 😛 I tried to install the apk ages ago on Nougat and it didn't work bah humbug 😛 

One Hand Operation is part of the Good Lock suite...

• 3 weeks later...

No idea why this happens, but the One Handed Operation app that is shipped with the Pie update is outdated and "needs updating" to even work, you can find the latest APK here https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/one-hand-operation/ which then allows you to configure it, enable or disable it.

On 3/24/2019 at 7:00 AM, Steven P. said:

No idea why this happens, but the One Handed Operation app that is shipped with the Pie update is outdated and "needs updating" to even work, you can find the latest APK here https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/one-hand-operation/ which then allows you to configure it, enable or disable it.

genius ...