• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

LineageOS, anyone use it?

Recommended Posts

+jnelsoninjax    11,545

I noticed that my phone is able to run LineageOS, but I really do not know anything about it, other then it is a replacement to the Android OS. Has anyone used it/currently use it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BritBronco    86

Have it running on old Galaxy s3, made it great to use again, only as a mini tablet and gps unit though since we dont use virgin for cell service anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    11,545
1 minute ago, BritBronco said:

Have it running on old Galaxy s3, made it great to use again, only as a mini tablet and gps unit though since we dont use virgin for cell service anymore.

What's your take on it? Does it perform better than stock Android?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BritBronco    86
Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

What's your take on it? Does it perform better than stock Android?

It definitely works better than the stock on the old s3. All the bloatware is gone. Plus it was a more up to date version of android. Your mileage may vary, if you phone is working fine I probably wont bother, but its nice that some of the older phone can get a new OS with the security updates included when the providers drop support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    11,545
9 minutes ago, BritBronco said:

It definitely works better than the stock on the old s3. All the bloatware is gone. Plus it was a more up to date version of android. Your mileage may vary, if you phone is working fine I probably wont bother, but its nice that some of the older phone can get a new OS with the security updates included when the providers drop support.

I understand, I was just curious about it, certainly worth remembering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,519

Heres my take as someone who compiled and contributed to cyanogenmod, slimrom, aospa and a few others. If you want a fully functional phone, dont bother with an AOSP rom unless you for sure know the OEM provides the necessary blobs for developers. Without these blobs, youll get a less than stellar experience compared to the stock rom. If your phone runs AOSP out of the box, your experience should be the same, I cannot remember off the top of my head if moto was good about this, but plenty of others werent. You also have to take into account your provider, some roms are cross compatible but not necessarily built with xyz carrier in mind. A quick search on XDA showed a few bricked moto x4s from an OTA update to lineage. I personally wouldnt use a third party ROM on my daily driver phone anymore, hence why I use an iPhone now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,741

@warwagon uses this on his phone (I know, I asked him, lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,519
Just now, Mindovermaster said:

@warwagon uses this on his phone (I know, I asked him, lol)

Except they dont have the same phone, and the thing with custom ROMs is the experience is and can be vastly different between the devices due to the OEM support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,741
Just now, Circaflex said:

Except they dont have the same phone, and the thing with custom ROMs is the experience is and can be vastly different between the devices due to the OEM support.

From what I understand, he was asking about the OS, not the same phone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,519
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

From what I understand, he was asking about the OS, not the same phone...

You do see how silly that sounds right? That's the point I am making, warwagons experience with Lineage will and can be completely different because he is on a different device.

 

For example, warwagons phone might be properly supported, so he could say it runs great, extends his battery life, etc etc but that most likely wont be the same case with OPs device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,741
1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

You do see how silly that sounds right? That's the point I am making, warwagons experience with Lineage will and can be completely different because he is on a different device. 

I thought Lineage uses are the same on every phone it provides, no?

 

If you use Android Oreo vs Lolipop, YES, it is leaps and bounds different.

 

Not sure what direction you are coming from here... An OS is an OS, no matter the hardware used...

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,519
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought Lineage uses are the same on every phone it provides, no?

No

 

3 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Not sure what direction you are coming from here... An OS is an OS, no matter the hardware used...

No again. I suggest you look into the custom ROM scene, you are far off and incorrect with that statement. Do the research and if you still are coming to the same conclusion, I will gladly explain it to you. The keywords you will want to use, are "blobs," "aosp support," "proprietary drivers," "device blobs."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
link6155    788
10 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I really do not know anything about it, other then it is a replacement to the Android OS. Has anyone used it/currently use it?

So LineageOS is one of many "custom roms" for Android. Custom roms are unofficial Android images that you can install on your phone. There are a few reasons why you want to do this:

 

  • Keeping your old phone alive. Hardware manufacturers don't want to keep supporting phones forever and so there will come a time when a phone stops getting updates. With custom roms, the community provides updates to keep your phone up and running. This also include security updates which is pretty important if you want to keep using your old phone.
  • Getting extra features. Many custom roms provide unique features that you won't find on OEM skins. This can include things like theme engines, custom gestures, granular privacy control, etc. 
  • Making your phone run faster. This is related to the first point. A lot of phone manufacturer load bloat onto their phone which you either cannot uninstall or are baked right into Android. With custom roms, you decide what is on your phone and most of them provide a near-stock Android experience. This usually means that your phone will run smoother than it ever did.

There's a lot of other reasons why you would want to install a custom rom but those are the top reasons I could come up with. 

 

What phone do you have? Some phones are better supported by LineageOS than others. LineageOS is practically ported to every phone by the community, but not every build is official. The unofficial build might be more buggy and will have less support. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+warwagon    12,781

Running 14.1 was almost trouble free. At one point my phone would not wake up and all I got was a black screen. Rebooting did not solve it either. To fix it I booted into recovery and cleared the cache and I haven't had an issue since.

 

Today I dirty flashed an unofficial version of Lineage OS 15.1 over 14.1 and so far so good. Looks pretty stable and he just added the March 2019 security updates.

 

The only thing that doesn't work as good on stock on both 14.1 and 15.1 is the camera focusing.

 

Since dirty flashing 15.1, it kind of feel like the there is more battery drain while idle than there was with 14.1. 14.1 was amazing on idle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,008

Hello,

 

I have played around a little with Lineage OS 14.1 and 15.1 on a Huawei Honor 5x, whose performance decreased over time with each update until it was more and more like using an entry-level device, instead of the mid-range device it behaved like when purchased.  With the installation of Lineage OS 14.1, the device again began to perform speedily, and was quite stable.  I installed Lineage OS 15.1 as soon as the it came out, and did have some problems with the Chrome browser freezing initially, but that seems to have gone away in subsequent builds.  I am using the device on Wi-Fi now, so have no idea of call quality or reliability.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.