I have an old phone and upon power on it wants to verify the google account (FRP)

The phone is a ZTE, and I have even wiped the data and restarted the phone, but it still asks verify your account with Google Account.  This device was reset. To continue, sign in with a Google Account that was previously synced on this device. The issue is that this phone was given to me and I have no idea what account was used. According to my searches this is called FRP (factory reset protection), and apparently it is possible to bypass, but also not very easily done. Does anyone have any experience with this?

well this is anti theft protection basically, because it makes the device useless. You can check by exact model on XDA, should be the best place to start. I've seen  octopus frp tool or something similar mentioned in some topics, but might be samsung specific.

3 minutes ago, neoraptor said:

well this is anti theft protection basically, because it makes the device useless. You can check by exact model on XDA, should be the best place to start. I've seen  octopus frp tool or something similar mentioned in some topics, but might be samsung specific.

Thanks for the suggestion of XDA, I forgot about checking with them!

OK, now the odd thing, the phone was apparently used by my sister (discovered images on the SD card) so when I put her email address into the box, and her password, it accepts it, but then pops up saying to enter the owners account info... which I thought was my sister, but apparently not?!

could always unlock the bootloader and install a new ROM (or even reinstall the OEM rom)

this should clear out anything that's preventing sign on currently

29 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

could always unlock the bootloader and install a new ROM (or even reinstall the OEM rom)

this should clear out anything that's preventing sign on currently

Interesting idea, I'll look into how to unlock the bootloader. The problem is going to be that I can not access anything in the phone menus, so I can not get USB debugging and OEM unlock option enabled. I am just going to trash the phone, it's not worth messing with!

14 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Interesting idea, I'll look into how to unlock the bootloader. The problem is going to be that I can not access anything in the phone menus, so I can not get USB debugging and OEM unlock option enabled. I am just going to trash the phone, it's not worth messing with!

I'm not sure about ZTE but I know some OEMs enable ADB debugging while booted into Recovery Mode so that could be worth checking before you call it quits :)

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=4DuaXMytOZf8-gTQroLIDg&q=zte+recovery+mode&oq=zte+reco&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l7j0i22i30l3.531.2026..3235...0.0..0.111.816.1j7......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.SqzbKsaLSb4

12 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'm not sure about ZTE but I know some OEMs enable ADB debugging while booted into Recovery Mode so that could be worth checking before you call it quits :)

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=4DuaXMytOZf8-gTQroLIDg&q=zte+recovery+mode&oq=zte+reco&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l7j0i22i30l3.531.2026..3235...0.0..0.111.816.1j7......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131.SqzbKsaLSb4

Unfortunately, ZTE doesn't appear to have the option. I only have the standard reboot, wipe partitions, etc. I can sideload via ADB, if I can find something that would work...

So crazy update:

I was doing everything I could to bypass FRP (extensive Google searches!) and suddenly my niece was in need of a SD card, so as I was getting one for her, she says "That was my phone before the one I have now" so she was able to sign into Google and now it's all good! :argh: