HP - New monitor or graphics card?

3 minutes ago, Theresa Ramseyer said:

Wow. With the way things have been going lately, I was sure it was going to be super expensive. Probably at least a few hundred. 

I'm learning a lot too, always a good thing!

Well, that is a pre-owned monitor, which I would not hesitate to purchase.

The low cost monitor I suggested in the other thread is $280 for a very reasonable mid-tier 4K

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UL500-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

That could make a budget bracket of between $80 and $280 and we could see if anything useful lies between...

But, you might also want some budget space to upgrade or adjust your computer.

A video card comes immediately to mind as a way of removing stress from the CPU while playing games...

Available stores: Walmarts. Target. Office Depot. Best Buy. 

Are you comfortable with online?

Newegg.com (my personal favorite)

Amazon.com

eBay.com

28 minutes ago, Theresa Ramseyer said:

Dawned on me to flip the monitor down on it's front. Sticker is on the bottom edge. Hp 23 vx 23 inch ips led backlit monitor. Manufactured nov. 2015. Product number: m6v67aa. Assembly part no: 702820-060. Rev. Rim111 serial 3cm546055L. 

Thanks for the model number.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824276509

Not a current product any more of course, but nothing odd about the specs for it. But it tells us that you are currently acclimated to using a 23 inch 1920x1080 IPS Panel monitor.

It's just dead, that's all.

Do they still make a version of the old big plastic protectors for conputer and/or monitor? I had one years ago. 

I have a couple of cat males that get into it occasionally. One likes to spray around those times. I looked up once just as he sprayed the monitor. I can cover it with a towel or a pkastic sheet when I'm not using it or not home. 

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Are you comfortable with online?

Newegg.com (my personal favorite)

Amazon.com

eBay.com

I've never used newegg. I have the others. My friend Keith, who was my hardware guy for a long time, loved newegg. Unfortunately he was killed in a car accident.  

It's great to find good, helpful people online. 

Do they still make a version of the old big plastic protectors for conputer and/or monitor? I had one years ago. 

I have a couple of cat males that get into it occasionally. One likes to spray around those times. I looked up once just as he sprayed the monitor. I can cover it with a towel or a pkastic sheet when I'm not using it or not home. 

1. Cat needs to be neutered or you will be subjected to this forever. If you have a philosophy against that, there is a strange kind of alien poetry in a cat trying to mark a computer monitor as part of its territory.

2. If you fllow my idea to move the computer case onto the table next to the monitor, you can easily cover both of them with a Shower Curtain for $1 to $4 from the Dollar store...

38 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Computer is an HP Pavilion 550-153wb.

Windows 10 home for the OS. 4th gen Intel core i3-4170 processor. 6GB DDR system memory. 1 TB hard drive. Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless Lan. Intel HD graphics 4400, systems memory is used for graphics/video.

Analysis of computer.

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-550-153wb-Dual-Core-Processor/dp/B016KXIJ1C

735486763_HPPavilion550-153w.thumb.jpg.6e551293cd9fa047376026e05f50c080.jpg

Picture of motherboard.

1. It only has 2 DIMM slots so any (decent) RAM expansion would need to replace existing RAM with 2 x 8 gig to get 16 gigs of RAM

2. It has a Video Card slot

3. It has a PCIe x 1 expansion slot.

4. The CPU is a dual core i3 which could be upgraded to a quad core i5 or a quad core i7

The 4XXX Intel i-series is new enough that it takes a while to get a good deal on a performant CPU from that series since they are in high demand. The i7 4770K is an excellent CPU for example, even by today's standards.

57 minutes ago, DevTech said:

1. Monitor

- repair or replace

- I have started with a suggestion for low cost, we will see what you think of it and what your budget is

2. Sargasso of Dead Computers

- ok, so you live in a "temperate" climate i.e . NOT Death Valley, California.

- do you use air conditioning in the summer? if not, did your computers die in summer?

- describe the situations in which your current computer seems to overheat

- you mentioned Facebook Games - can you list the games you play? or better yet are any of them 3D?

3. Ozarks

- long time ago, not sure how I could find out, my Dad passed away, my Mom still alive but not the sort of thing she payed attention to...

- but I have strong memories and somewhere, even home movies!

Would be nice if you were at Craig O'Lee and/or on Big Sugar somewhere. My Mom's parents owned Craig O'Lee for years. I have fond memories too of visiting there after they retired. Great family vacations. 

Cat neutering is on the agenda. Unfortunately, little things like taxes and bills have to come first. Our refrigerator died this month. We paid about $700 in insurance, and incurred around another $3k in plumbing work. Thankfully that doesn't have to be paid in one lump sum. Things like that are what's run us short lately. Thankfully there's always next month; and Dad made some good investments that get us money at the end of the month - car payment time :). 

Air conditioning is a window unit in the living room. I run fans in the bedroom. Sometime the air reaches, sometimes not. My bedroom is at the top of the hall, and there's a shared vent in the wall between the living room and my closet. 

I have opened the boxes, once out of warranty, and very, very carefully cleaned out dust, etc.  Heat and dust are not good bedfellows with electronics. 

Edited by Theresa Ramseyer
Added the air conditioning information.

@DevTechdo you know that you can edit your post and edit your reply? Or are you simply padding your post count? the fact you have three posts in a row, all within 5 hours makes it seem like you are post count padding for the sake of it. As an MVC you should know better and adhere to the rules.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

@DevTechdo you know that you can edit your post and edit your reply? Or are you simply padding your post count? the fact you have three posts in a row, all within 5 hours makes it seem like you are post count padding for the sake of it. As an MVC you should know better and adhere to the rules.

I have a procedure that I use to conduct the best possible help and well since we are ALL volunteers here donating our spare time for the good of humanity helping other people, I intend to keep operating in a manner I consider the best efficient flow for me.

You are very welcome to just not read any posts you consider extraneous.

I ALWAYS make separate posts to cover separate sub-topics to help keep things organized. And I have found in the past that if I edit posts, it can be confusing to the user and they often do not see the edits, hence BAD in two different ways so, that's just not going to happen.

Your thinking seems a bit bizarre as if I have some secret motive to make extra posts. Please let me know if there is a website somewhere that pays pennies for each additional post! I pay no attention to those counts other than a generally fuzzy idea of maintaining the quality of my posts so that the + count stays close to 1/2 the total post count. So I like a good Ratio, which, I suppose, extra posts would actually reduce, yet due diligence simply dictates that I must maintain my current system as the most efficient method for me.

• Facepalm 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven't had trouble with this computer overheating. I want to prevent that. 

I don't remember which computers they were, but we went through a summer where I lost at least three. Bing, bang, boom. On one, the tech pointed out the some of the transistors ( the little round things on the motherboard. Surely I'm not using the right word) and said the heat had blown them. Another was heat-related, but not the for the same reason. That was probably that I hadn't gotten the dust cleaned out.

Sorry for falling asleep on you. It's 1:30 AM now. I have to be up at 5. Will continue this later. Night. 

13 minutes ago, Theresa Ramseyer said:

I haven't had trouble with this computer overheating. I want to prevent that. 

I don't remember which computers they were, but we went through a summer where I lost at least three. Bing, bang, boom. On one, the tech pointed out the some of the transistors ( the little round things on the motherboard. Surely I'm not using the right word) and said the heat had blown them. Another was heat-related, but not the for the same reason. That was probably that I hadn't gotten the dust cleaned out.

Sorry for falling asleep on you. It's 1:30 AM now. I have to be up at 5. Will continue this later. Night. 

Not a problem.

Sounds like you might have not been using air conditioning in the summer months.

If that is the situation, we can explore ways in which to improve the cooling of your computer, which mainly involve adding fans to increase the flow of air since all cooling based on air flow can never lower the temp below the ambient, so pushing a lot more hot air around helps a lot to limit the max temp.

Since you have severe budget constraints, the place to start is with a low cost monitor. Can you afford the $80?

Finally, for some reason the thread has attracted someone being very Troll-like, so that's the internet and its mysterious ways to watch out for, and in any case as others jump in with thoughts and ideas (always welcome, well most of the time) over the next few days, you might be faced with more information to sort through. 

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

I looked up once just as he sprayed the monitor.

I didn't pick up on this at first, I was thinking of plastic covers!

BTW, if you want "REAL" plastic covers you will probably find it on Amazon etc.

If you don't mind waiting a while for shipping in order to save a lot of money, sometimes you can order commodity stuff like plastic covers direct from Alibaba.com or the more consumer friendly AliExpress.com. Sometimes you have to spend a lot of searching time to find sellers that will take small orders but they exist. And really ignore any shipping estimates on those sites, whatever they tell you, the real delivery time is "annoyingly far too long, but measured in units of weeks"

So moving on from Cat Protection to the subject of "What Really Happened" you essentially just said your monitor got a coating of weak slow acting ACID right in front of your eyes... That's like a ticking time bomb....

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning :)

I picked the monitor up yesterday. Haven't put it up yet, we had bad weather and warnings for worse. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit everything, and am also considering a new printer. 

I'll post later how things turn out. Just wanted to give a quick update. 

Have a good day / evening. 

1 hour ago, Theresa Ramseyer said:

Good morning :)

I picked the monitor up yesterday. Haven't put it up yet, we had bad weather and warnings for worse. I'm not sure how I'm going to fit everything, and am also considering a new printer. 

I'll post later how things turn out. Just wanted to give a quick update. 

Have a good day / evening. 

Nothing about your photo suggests a super-tight space.

desk-hp-computer.thumb.jpg.ef2e999b360e590c1adf506c28e190f4.jpg

You need to plant the computer on the desk next to the monitor and then throw a plastic sheet on both when not using it.

The frequency of Acidic Liquid Spray from cats must be limited to exactly ZERO occurrences.