Graphics card runs when computer is on without the monitor, but turns off as soon as the monitor turns on

My graphics card is a Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce 1050ti GTX. I haven't had any problems with it before or had this problem with any other graphics card.

The graphics card worked fine for about 7 months until it spontaneously turned off just as I opened Dota 2. It had run Dota 2 before so I don't think it is the cause of the problem. I tested the PC without the monitor on and it was fine, but as soon as I turned on the monitor the graphics card turned off. I tried in every GPU slot on the motherboard and I have checked all cables and the power supply.

I have read somewhere about adjusting the BIOS settings but I'm not sure what to do.

Other parts:

• CPU: Intel core i5-7400 Gen 7
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B250M-D3H
  • Power supply: Thermaltake Smart 500W
  • RAM stick: HyperX Fury DDR4 *GB
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 2.5 inch 500GB

Does anyone know what to do?

Confused by the OP question.

What exactly do you mean that the graphics card "turns off" when a monitor is plugged in?  How do you know the graphics card "turns on" when you unplug the monitor?  Do you get POST/boot screens with the monitor plugged in?  Have you tested with the motherboard video output to rule out a monitor issue?

Just confused by video card "turns off" when monitor is plugged in but "turns on" when monitor is unplugged.

6 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Confused by the OP question.

What exactly do you mean that the graphics card "turns off" when a monitor is plugged in?  How do you know the graphics card "turns on" when you unplug the monitor?  Have you tested with the motherboard video output to rule out a monitor issue?

Just confused by video card "turns off" when monitor is plugged in but "turns on" when monitor is unplugged.

It reads like some Riddle in one of those old classic Adventure games...

6 hours ago, Useless_Archives said:

My graphics card is a Gigabyte NVIDIA Geforce 1050ti GTX. I haven't had any problems with it before or had this problem with any other graphics card.

The graphics card worked fine for about 7 months until it spontaneously turned off just as I opened Dota 2. It had run Dota 2 before so I don't think it is the cause of the problem. I tested the PC without the monitor on and it was fine, but as soon as I turned on the monitor the graphics card turned off. I tried in every GPU slot on the motherboard and I have checked all cables and the power supply.

I have read somewhere about adjusting the BIOS settings but I'm not sure what to do.

Other parts:

• CPU: Intel core i5-7400 Gen 7
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B250M-D3H
  • Power supply: Thermaltake Smart 500W
  • RAM stick: HyperX Fury DDR4 *GB
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 2.5 inch 500GB

Does anyone know what to do?

1. CPU: Intel core i5-7400 Gen 7
  2. Motherboard: Gigabyte B250M-D3H
  3. Power supply: Thermaltake Smart 500W
  4. RAM stick: HyperX Fury DDR4 *GB -- so what does that mean? "*GB" short for unlimited RAM?
  5. SSD: Crucial MX500 2.5 inch 500GB
  6. What is model number of monitor?
  7. What is cable connector to monitor?
  8. What is O/S?
  9. What is video driver version?
  10. Do you mean turning on monitor powers down the computer?

One possible idea is that by accident you have set the refresh rate on the monitor to something it can't support, like 75 hz etc.

This is not really supported by the facts, but right now, your set of facts is straight out of the mouth of Kellyanne Conway (i.e. garbled beyond sane boundaries of logic in a pleasant internal fantasy world of post-facts, post truth concepts that are dressed up in pretty clothes to simulate something that might perhaps maybe hopefully matter to real humans if they consume enough substance)