150Mbps - 400Mbps

19 hours ago, SnoopZ said:

Wondering what your Upload speed was in the end now you can tell us?

8341942168.png

Here you go. Is that bad or good?

1 hour ago, thisdude said:

8341942168.png

Here you go. Is that bad or good?

I was expecting atleast 10mbit to be honest, not great only time will tell if it becomes an issue.

your down is good for paying for 150.. but up is horrible... You would think your upload would be 10..  When I paid for 75/10 plan with comcast I would normally see 80ish down and 12mbps up..

So your actually just paying for 5 or are you paying for 10 and only seeing 5?

Can you guys recommend a good router to replace the one we rent from Comcast? It's $13 a month to rent it, $156 a year. 

Is it really that much of an issue? We've had a couple nights with everyone connected iphones, 2 tvs, and laptop and no issues.

11 minutes ago, BudMan said:

your down is good for paying for 150.. but up is horrible... You would think your upload would be 10..  When I paid for 75/10 plan with comcast I would normally see 80ish down and 12mbps up..

So your actually just paying for 5 or are you paying for 10 and only seeing 5?

You really should know what you're paying for, whats it say on your package?

10 minutes ago, thisdude said:

Can you guys recommend a good router to replace the one we rent from Comcast? It's $13 a month to rent it, $156 a year. 

yeah renting a router is just a rip off. Look around on Amazon, any router that states is Comcast compatible should work well for you. You'll want a DOCS 3.0 or 3.1 router and you'll be good :)

11 minutes ago, SnoopZ said:

You really should know what you're paying for, whats it say on your package?

What regular person asks about upload speed? I feel like that's more in the interests for people working from home or people that upload alot (past PirateBay day lol).

1 minute ago, thisdude said:

What regular person asks about upload speed? I feel like that's more in the interests for people working from home or people that upload alot (past PirateBay day lol).

Every regular person does or should do. :)

As previously stated if you don't have enough upload it can affect your download speed and it then all goes pear shaped.

1 minute ago, thisdude said:

Even as a regular person, how can you not know when they tell you when you purchase the package? Would these be the same regular persons who do not read contracts and sign blindly?

13 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Even as a regular person, how can you not know when they tell you when you purchase the package? Would these be the same regular persons who do not read contracts and sign blindly?

Ok calm down...

So I looked it up 5 mpbs is the upload speed for my package. I did a cursory Google search on how much upload speed do you really need and it seems like 5 - 10 looks to be the average of what I found, for my usage needs.

Edited by thisdude

yeah you won't really notice the bad upload speed if you're just browsing or streaming content but if you do any kind of online gaming or even sometimes video chat you will definitely notice it

17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

yeah renting a router is just a rip off. Look around on Amazon, any router that states is Comcast compatible should work well for you. You'll want a DOCS 3.0 or 3.1 router and you'll be good :)

Cool thanks for the tips. Can you recommend any particular ones? Do you have any experience with a particular one or brand?

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

yeah you won't really notice the bad upload speed if you're just browsing or streaming content but if you do any kind of online gaming or even sometimes video chat you will definitely notice it

I'll keep that in mind. I'm wondering if the occasional slow speed/upload through out the year is worth the cost savings? But It's easy to upgrade plans if it becomes absolutely necessary.

Just now, thisdude said:

Cool thanks for the tips. Can you recommend any particular ones? Do you have any experience with a particular one or brand?

for just the modem they're all pretty good. I'm currently running a TP-Link modem on my network hooked to a Linksys WRT1900AC for my wifi and network storage :)

Others may recommend something different but I'd say the top three OEMs for modems are TP-Link / Motorola / Netgear

18 minutes ago, thisdude said:

Ok calm down...

So I looked it up 5 mpbs is the upload speed for my package. I did a cursory Google search on how much upload speed do you really need and it seems like 5 - 10 looks to be the average of what I found, for my usage needs.

Calm down? It was a simple series of questions. I wasn’t in the slightest riled up. 

29 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

for just the modem they're all pretty good. I'm currently running a TP-Link modem on my network hooked to a Linksys WRT1900AC for my wifi and network storage :)

Others may recommend something different but I'd say the top three OEMs for modems are TP-Link / Motorola / Netgear

Cool thanks, that helps a lot!

There are 2 options here you can get a gateway which is a modem/router combo or could get just a cable modem..  Take a look on https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

For which ones to stay away from with puma 5.. Get one that is not on the bad list, but is on your isp compatible list.  You can normally find a modem for less than 100.. So it would pay for itself in less then a year at your current rental rate..

If you just get a modem then you would also need a router.. This is better option if you ask me.. Since you can normally get better options this way..

I'd recommend getting a pure modem and then a separate router for wifi and such

modem/router combo devices while convenient tend to have a couple caveats.

1. combo devices don't tend to be as good about firmware updates so after awhile you could easily end up with an un-patched security hole
  2. combo devices tend to have weaker wifi antennae or tend to bottleneck more
  3. with combo devices the carrier (in your case Comcast) can sometimes lock down certain settings even wifi side

for these reasons I find it better to run an unmanaged modem while all your security/settings/customization option are on your wifi router

51 minutes ago, BudMan said:

There are 2 options here you can get a gateway which is a modem/router combo or could get just a cable modem..  Take a look on https://badmodems.com/Forum/app.php/badmodems

For which ones to stay away from with puma 5.. Get one that is not on the bad list, but is on your isp compatible list.  You can normally find a modem for less than 100.. So it would pay for itself in less then a year at your current rental rate..

If you just get a modem then you would also need a router.. This is better option if you ask me.. Since you can normally get better options this way..

Cool I'll check that out too. Yeah I think I want a combo modem/router. I'm sure there's a rental fee for the modem too.

14 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I'd recommend getting a pure modem and then a separate router for wifi and such

modem/router combo devices while convenient tend to have a couple caveats.

1. combo devices don't tend to be as good about firmware updates so after awhile you could easily end up with an un-patched security hole
  2. combo devices tend to have weaker wifi antennae or tend to bottleneck more
  3. with combo devices the carrier (in your case Comcast) can sometimes lock down certain settings even wifi side

for these reasons I find it better to run an unmanaged modem while all your security/settings/customization option are on your wifi router

Ah ok I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. Although I do like having minimal equipment. So having a combo modem/router would be at the top of my preferences. But yeah having something with outdated firmware would definitely be something to be concerned about.

5 minutes ago, thisdude said:

Thought I’d share what the upload speed is on the employee WiFi at my work lol. I’m sure you guys would love to have this at home no?!

BudMan has better than that... :laugh: