• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

No quote/like comment options on mobile iOS.

Recommended Posts

Vandalsquad    527

Displays like this image below. Makes it a bit hard just jab at the screen until I get the comment box to come up but. 

58DE3B8F-006C-4BEF-9DD3-FF01E8321492.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,505
20 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Displays like this image below. Makes it a bit hard just jab at the screen until I get the comment box to come up but. 

 

What are you using? Looks like an iPhone to me...

 

It shows up in Android. Could 'maybe' that you have icons disabled... IDK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771
29 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

Displays like this image below. Makes it a bit hard just jab at the screen until I get the comment box to come up but. 

58DE3B8F-006C-4BEF-9DD3-FF01E8321492.png

It’s likely a race condition with the JavaScript. Refresh it a few times and it usually shows up.  It’s very annoying. 

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What are you using? Looks like an iPhone to me...

 

It shows up in Android. Could 'maybe' that you have icons disabled... IDK

Nah it’s a bug.  I’ve not tried it on Android but it’s definitely an issue with iOS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    3,505
2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Nah it’s a bug.  I’ve not tried it on Android but it’s definitely an issue with iOS. 

No? hmm... I never use iOS, so that would explain it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771

@DaveLegg you confirmed this as an issue some time ago (a month or so), and mentioned it would be fixed. Any eta? It’s still an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    1,027

I've borrowed an iOS device to take a look at this, but I'm unable to reproduce it. If you have any more information about when it's happening (specific articles, articles with a certain number of comments, only on every other Wednesday, whatever) that would be helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771
1 hour ago, DaveLegg said:

I've borrowed an iOS device to take a look at this, but I'm unable to reproduce it. If you have any more information about when it's happening (specific articles, articles with a certain number of comments, only on every other Wednesday, whatever) that would be helpful.

Linear mode, and only on articles with comments, it doesn’t matter what browser you use. I thought we had discussed this before and you confirmed it was an issue?  Anyway, try that. Eventually it will show up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    1,027

I confirmed it wasn't a javascript issue, as there's no javascript involved in showing/hiding the icons. I've just switched to Linear view, as I was testing with the default threaded view previously. I'm still seeing the icons and unable to reproduce  the problem. If you see it again, and are able to plug it into a mac and look at it with the inspector, that would be really helpful in tracking down the cause. I spent two hours this evening attempting to connect to the iOS device from the chrome dev tools on a windows laptop, and had no luck - unfortunately I don't have a mac to connect it to

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vandalsquad    527

Still have the issue, is on my phone 24/7 with anything with comments, just checked my partners iphone who had never viewed the site same issue. 

 

Let us know if anyway to help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    1,027

Just wondering, do you see the comment icon on the homepage next to the author line?

neowin_sprite.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771
On 9/18/2019 at 1:11 PM, DaveLegg said:

I confirmed it wasn't a javascript issue, as there's no javascript involved in showing/hiding the icons. I've just switched to Linear view, as I was testing with the default threaded view previously. I'm still seeing the icons and unable to reproduce  the problem. If you see it again, and are able to plug it into a mac and look at it with the inspector, that would be really helpful in tracking down the cause. I spent two hours this evening attempting to connect to the iOS device from the chrome dev tools on a windows laptop, and had no luck - unfortunately I don't have a mac to connect it to

Just as soon as this is updated for iOS13.x, I'll  get you what you need. Its happening in Chrome for me, so...

 

https://github.com/google/ios-webkit-debug-proxy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NuriyaH    0

I've come up with the same issue. 👀 Are there any other option how to deal with it? 🗨️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771
2 minutes ago, NuriyaH said:

I've come up with the same issue. 👀 Are there any other option how to deal with it? 🗨️

Yep, they want us to troubleshoot it for them. I’ve not had the time to hook up a debugger because it’s chrome on iOS and it’s not just something you can plug into a Mac and debug. So I’ve not had time to get to it. Know that you are not alone in the issue though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NuriyaH    0

This fact cheers me up 🙄 hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    1,027

I've tried to reproduce this on the small variety of iOS devices I have access to, and have been unable to do so on any of them. If someone can reproduce it and hook it up to developer tools so they can send screenshots and help me troubleshoot, I might be able to fix it.  I accept that it's a genuine bug that affects multiple people, but if I'm unable to reproduce it, I'm unable to fix it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771
Posted (edited)

Ok, this is out of hand now and happening 100% of the time for me. 
 

I don’t understand how I can be the only one. While  I would love to help if I had the time, I do not. Don’t give your customers homework is my company’s motto. 
 

Latest version of iOS, latest version of Chrome. 
 

 

6D46374A-8269-420B-A1CE-498F7BC3A79A.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steven P.    16,392
12 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Ok, this is out of hand now and happening 100% of the time for me. 
 

I don’t understand how I can be the only one. While  I would love to help if I had the time, I do not. Don’t give your customers homework is my company’s motto. 
 

Latest version of iOS, latest version of Chrome. 
 

 

6D46374A-8269-420B-A1CE-498F7BC3A79A.png

Hello, this may be the dumbest question in the world but can you check if you are not being logged out or something?

 

I can't reproduce it using dev tools in Chrome and setting it to iPhone. It only looks like that when I am logged out of Neowin. I don't have an iPhone to test this but everything appears fine in the comments on Chrome for Android.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,771
3 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Hello, this may be the dumbest question in the world but can you check if you are not being logged out or something?

 

I can't reproduce it using dev tools in Chrome and setting it to iPhone. It only looks like that when I am logged out of Neowin. I don't have an iPhone to test this but everything appears fine in the comments on Chrome for Android.

Are you thinking it’s a cookie problem? Because those buttons are still present, they are just transparent. 11 years of being here has taught me to memorize their location 😏. Also, I think it requires chrome on an actual iOS device if my past testing is remembered correctly. 
 

If you don’t have an iPhone, browser stack or a simulator may reproduce it. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    7,630
Posted (edited)

It's happening to me as well. It also happens on desktop Safari. I have to guess where the like and quote buttons are on the front page.

 

I can clear my cache and it's good for about a day, and then it starts showing up again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shockz    7,630
Posted (edited)

674091476_ScreenShot2020-03-14at5_02_48PM.thumb.png.ab4bc8093a40e0a97fc4c409ea9d5866.png

 

The logo and icons on the header also will not load on Safari desktop. It'll stay this way until I clear my cache, so if you need me to pull a page source or something just let me know. And no, I'm not using ublock or anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaveLegg    1,027

The icons in the header and the comment area all come from the same 'sprite' image I believe, so it sounds like the issue might be there rather than in the css - and would explain potentially why clearing the cache resolves it temporarily. Could you look in the Network panel of the dev tools, and see the request for the sprite file, see if that's showing an error or some other useful info as to why it's not loading correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.