1st time PC Build, No display/Bios

10 minutes ago, LaP said:

Yeah the lights should indicate a CPU problem if the BIOS doesn't support the CPU. Don't think it would be impossible to do.

Yeah. Yup. It's 2019!

Cortana's voice should be coming out of a little speaker on the mobo and if she doesn't want to do the job, Alexa can take over!

14 minutes ago, DevTech said:

The Cheapest CPU That You Can Boot To Flash to Version 17

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-PC-PRO#support-cpu

Looking through the supported CPUs for BIOS Version 10 (the oldest) yields a i3-8100 as the cheapest CPU.

You can drop to a Celeron G4900 for BIOS Version 13

BIOS Version 10 (safe choice)

Intel i3-8100 - $140

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-i3-8100-Coffee-Lake-Quad-Core-3-6-GHz-LGA1151/303021532411?epid=3027751552&hash=item468d7da4fb:g:6AsAAOSwAEFcMuz0

BIOS Version 13 (newer BIOS, 2 back from 15)

Intel Celeron G4900T  $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Celeron-G4900T-Processor-SR3YP-Dual-Core-2-90-GHz-Desktop-CPU-Genuine-USA/123714376645?epid=13029971724&hash=item1ccdf393c5:g:0YQAAOSwdC5cnj6E

Intel Pentium Gold G5400 - $71

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-Gold-G5400-Coffee-Lake-Processor-3-70GHz-8-0GT-s-4MB-LGA-1151/202672816496?epid=15024812549&hash=item2f303dc170:g:WAEAAOSw4NZc0bwE

41 minutes ago, LaP said:

Yeah the lights should indicate a CPU problem if the BIOS doesn't support the CPU. Don't think it would be impossible to do.

It's hard to tell from the generally sketchy non-detailed info being provided, but it appears from those LEDs and the FANs etc that the mobo is deciding at the last millisecond to bail on "Go For Throttle Up" and is NOT turning on the Voltage Regulators to feed power to the CPU.

Which explains the general "deadness" at that point, the POST process is not starting.

Not recognizing the CPU would definitely explain that, but I've seen other reasons that Mobos will make that decision, usually bad power or the PSU socket next to the CPU VRM is loose and not actually making contact or of course, DEAD VRMs

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

You are confused about my point.

The CMOS RAM uses VERY VERY LITTLE POWER - some close order approximation of ZERO if you had to calculate it

So if you try to empty the RAM by removing the battery, you are faced with an UNKNOWN time for the power to the CMOS to reduce enough to CLEAR THE RAM (located inside the BIOS chip).

STUPID to even be talking about this when all he has to do is move a Jumper for 2 seconds or push a button depending on mobo.

Dev, does taking out the battery then pulsing the power button a few times (with no electricity attached), cause the BIOS to reset? I remember reading this somewhere.

Certainly, yeah, the pin way is beyond easy...

Just now, Mindovermaster said:

Dev, does taking out the battery then pulsing the power button a few times (with no electricity attached), cause the BIOS to reset? I remember reading this somewhere.

Certainly, yeah, the pin way is beyond easy...

No, that's just part of thousands of Modern VooDoo things that we live with day to day in modern society driven by tech, future determined by tech, everything is tech, and populated by citizens that could not pass a basic science test and think being a Hollywood Actor is the point of being human. Welcome to our own personal ridiculously intentional longing for medieval hell. So instead of weird creatures in the great dark jungle beyond the village, we have crap information that seems barely plausible infecting the human group consciousness of the Internet... Well, we also have all those pet alligators people flush down the toilet living in the sewers, so maybe some dark sewer jungle monsters too.

The power button thing arose due to no jumpers or buttons being available on a LAPTOP. So you got no choice, gotta PULL THE BATTERY. Now you gotta wait a completely unknown amount of time. So tech support tells frustrated users to hold the power button down, but it's just a PLACEBO! You could hold down any random button in your house and get the same benefit. The power button just connects to a logic circuit of some sort and has NO ability to ground anything!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

No, that's just part of thousands of Modern VooDoo things that we live with day to day in modern society driven by tech, future determined by tech, everything is tech, and populated by citizens that could not pass a basic science test and think being a Hollywood Actor is the point of being human. Welcome to our own personal ridiculously intentional longing for medieval hell. So instead of weird creatures in the great dark jungle beyond the village, we have crap information that seems barely plausible infecting the human group consciousness of the Internet... Well, we also have all those pet alligators people flush down the toilet living in the sewers, so maybe some dark sewer jungle monsters too.

The power button thing arose due to no jumpers or buttons being available on a LAPTOP. So you got no choice, gotta PULL THE BATTERY. Now you gotta wait a completely unknown amount of time. So tech support tells frustrated users to hold the power button down, but it's just a PLACEBO! You could hold down any random button in your house and get the same benefit. The power button just connects to a logic circuit of some sort and has NO ability to ground anything!

I might of heard that from a computer store that I volunteered at during HS. I never really lived by it. I just did it to make him happy. :)

22 minutes ago, John.D said:

It has be in Windows for Cortana to say or do anything.

Hmmmm.... and I didn't know that! Wait, now I can't tell if you are doing a "deadpan" response in my joke to escalate the humor level or not....

So, I will reply with "Windows for Embedded Motherboard Diagnostics OEM Cortana Edition by Azure" as the next great Microsoft thing...

Anyways, there would be a lot of intermediate steps to sketch out and in the end they would embed Tizen or something like that and we would be straining to understand what it was saying and we'd turn it off anyways...

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DevTech said:

You are confused about my point.

The CMOS RAM uses VERY VERY LITTLE POWER - some close order approximation of ZERO if you had to calculate it

So if you try to empty the RAM by removing the battery, you are faced with an UNKNOWN time for the power to the CMOS to reduce enough to CLEAR THE RAM (located inside the BIOS chip).

STUPID to even be talking about this when all he has to do is move a Jumper for 2 seconds or push a button depending on mobo.

haha.. you brought it up!  😂 😋

Yes, CMOS chips use different voltages depending on their state.. and even though I was long winded, I just wanted to add that the OP shouldn't panic "if" they removed the battery.  And to reiterate, always unplug the PSU from the board when reseating components, or removing said battery.

But I digress.. and you've given them plenty to do, so let's just see if they can follow that list before anything more is suggested.