Odd second monitor behavior on Win10 with 'locked' app windows

HI all,

Anyone recognize the behavior below on WIn10?
This suddenly started happening and am not sure if it's caused by a recent Win10 update, a graphic driver update or something else.

So... I have a dual monitor setup running, and that worked for like forever without problems.
But now I have the issue that at some point, the second monitor is not letting me click on the active apps on that screen anymore.
I still -can- move my mouse around, but the app windows are 'frozen'. The apps are still running fine, and I can move them to the first monitor with some kb juggling to access them.

The odd thing is is often happens after a return from sleep mode, but not right away. But it often takes 15-30 minutes for it to happen.
The other odd thing is the moment I log out, the screen is 'released' from its 'frozen' state immediately. So logging out & in again fixes it, for me it seems like a software glitch somewhere. The logging out/in is a pain, as I'm used to running multiple desktops and I have to set everything up again when this happens. So yes, it affects ALL desktops on the second monitor.

I did some web searching, but all  I can find on this is people having issues with Win10 -not- seeing the second monitor anymore. For me I still see and identify both monitors in the system app, and have the dual monitor desktop for the mouse to 'roam'.

Running the latest Win10 updates and drivers for my GeForce 970.

Any tips, hints etc are appreciated.

No I don't but try:

Maybe check for any recently installed programs to see if anything triggers it.

Update your other drivers too.

And try to revert to previous Win 10, then wait for an update.

Hi,

Not going to revert to a previous install of Win10 just for this. It's annoying, but not worth all that trouble.
I've updated and running the latest drivers on my GF970 just last week, and there seems to be an end to those for this card....
And the fact that this PC is getting a bit older, new(er) drivers for the mobo and other hadrware etc. are not there too.

So if it's hardware/driver related, I'm out of luck ;)

How about making the secondary monitor your primary, and see if that changes anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,
After a couple of days without multiple desktops, I still have to have similar issues. Even after several 'sleep' sessions a day.
So it looks like there's something odd going on there when I have multiple desktops running.
Will return to multiple desktops/apps to see if the issue returns. If so, that will probably the culprit.

rob

Try using DDU to remove the drivers (and then reinstall them, of course), since it will completely clean up anything related to the GPU. including formerly (this includes current) connected monitors.

Thus, when all that is fresh, perhaps we can try finding the source of the problem (if it still exists).