***Do not install "Chrysler Golf" game***

:angry:

chrysler partnered with yahoo to create some free golf game to promote their golf tour and their cars.

*DO NOT INSTALL THIS GAME!*

if you have this game installed, DO NOT UNINSTALL IT!

whatever moron created installer/uninstaller for this game should be fired! :angry:

install path for the game was hard coded to ".//golf/"

obviously this is invalid path which dumps installer into root dir of whatever drive it was run from.

and obviously uninstraller was using same invalid path, which cuased it to start to delete all files from my d:\ :angry:

when i realized what was happening i hit reset button, but it was too late... god dammed uninstaller deleted majority of files from my main 200gig drive! :angry:

i spent last 3hours recovering whatever i could, but i lost many more files :angry:

you should send them an email threatning to sue because u lost important files that you "cannot get back"

hell mabye they will give you some free ****

sadly most disclaimers say they aren't responsible for any damage at all caused by their program.

Woah, don't so over every little thing. Too much suing, Eolas sues Microsoft, TGTSoft sues Stardock, when is it going to stop!

I don't know how nasty e-mails would affect the situation :shifty:

Just because somebody proclaims that they are "not responsible" doesnt mean that they arent. If a piece of software does damage to your pc or causes a loss of important data you do have a legitimate case. Any judge/jury will find for you if you have evidence that shows that they were at fault. If your main 200 gig drive was full of warezed movies/apps/games and pr0n I would just be ****ed and leave it at that.

well if it happened to me ...I wouldn't really loose much because everything is backed up in 2 places...

backup backup backup

Similar thing happened to me with Half-Life, I got my copy the day it came out and the first releases had an error in the installer/uninstaller that defaulted to the root of whatever directory it was installed to, and basically, say I installed to D:\Games (my general dir for installing games) it would delete every single file in that directory upon uninstall.

This has still not been resolved by Valve, and there are occasions when I forget this and delete everything in my games dir. when uninstalling it. Valve basically said tough, we know about it but can't fix it, even with a patch, buy another copy of the game thats not a first release. Hardly a good attitude for a known problem

Don't be too nice in the email either. :(

lol, old good mxxcon is not nice even when he is in a good mood :)

dont take it as an insult mxx, I like your attitude

I'd be way p|ssed too...but that's why I don't install anything unless it's from a reputable company. DaimlerChrysler is hardly reputable....

Yea... they're not very good at making cars either. :|

Yikes man, that sucks... hate to imagine what kind of mood this puts you into ;) Might wanna try some kind of undelete utility though, hopefully you can restore some of your files.

yeah, definitely write a strongly worded email to them. you can imply legal action without actually planning on going that route...they might take you a little more seriously that way. :ninja:

"reputable company" doesn't mean much here since it can happen to anyone

whoever created installer/uninstaller for this game was braindead.

i doubt i want the hassle of lawsuit, but i will definatly let them know what i think.

and in general, the only time installer should be used if when there are some complex operations such modifying registry or registrying system components.

when it's plain file copy installation, regular zip/rar/ace/archive is perfectly sufficient and is even better. smaller download, faster install and uninstall.

you can imply legal action without actually planning on going that route...

actually that's illigal to do. it's against the law to "misleadingly" threaten legal action to force another party to do something.