Texas Shooting Leaves 5 Dead and At Least 21 Injured Near Odessa

HOUSTON — Five people were killed and more than 20 others were injured in a brazen daylight drive-by mass shooting in the West Texas cities of Midland and Odessa on Saturday, as a gunman drove on the highways and streets opening fire on residents, motorists and shoppers, the authorities said.

The attack terrified two sister cities 20 miles apart with a combined population of 263,000 at the start of Labor Day weekend, just weeks after a gunman killed 22 people at a Walmart in El Paso. 

Police officers and state troopers tried to keep drivers off the highways. A local university urged students and faculty to stay in their dorm rooms and offices. A television station in Odessa, KOSA-TV, evacuated their studio while they were covering the breaking news live on the air.

[...]

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/31/us/odessa-shootings.html

According to the Republican, the solution to mass shootings is....

...praying

Washington (CNN)A Texas Republican state representative said he opposes stricter gun laws and that people should instead be "praying for protection" hours after a mass shooting shook West Texas. 

Republican Matt Schaefer posted on Facebook Saturday that "so-called gun-control solutions" won't "stop a person with evil intent," and that people should instead pray for victims and those with "evil intent." 

"'Do something!' is the statement we keep hearing," he wrote. "As an elected official with a vote in Austin, let me tell you what I am NOT going to do. I am NOT going to use the evil acts of a handful of people to diminish the God-given rights of my fellow Texans. Period. None of these so-called gun-control solutions will work to stop a person with evil intent."

Later in the post he continues: "What can we do? YES to praying for victims. YES to praying for protection. YES to praying that God would transform the hearts of people with evil intent."

Schaefer wrote he supported "discipline in the homes" and "fathers not leaving their wives and children," while saying he opposes many proposals backed by Democratic presidential candidates -- universal background checks, so-called red flag gun laws, bans on AR-15s and high-capacity magazines and a mandatory gun buyback. 

The Texas Republican wrote the "root of the problem" is "Godless, depraved hearts," in another Facebook post.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01/politics/texas-state-rep-praying-for-protection-shooting/index.html

What upsets me the most is the path we are on here.  Used to be something horrific, something that shocked people.  Now I can't even be bothered to discuss it, just write it off as a ridiculous country's leadership failing to even acknowledge it's issues in any meaningful way - sigh - move on and wait a few weeks for the next one.  And that should in every single way NOT be the reaction, but what's the point?  When every leader be they Republican or Democrat uses the gun-control issue like a donkey's carrot, but none will ever actually deal with it as it's career suicide.  So they blame "mental health issues" while withdrawing funding for support or access to support on "mental health issues".

Just a mess that we're not dealing with!  I'd say "Thoughts and prayers" but that's equally meaningless.

I hate that this is my reaction.  My comments are not meant to offend or upset anyone, but I'm just done with this!

• Like 3

cc819e59-04bb-4f2f-b876-7b4ccd82abe9-Set

Law enforcement officials on Sunday identified the man who killed seven people and wounded 22 others in a shooting spree in West Texas as Seth Ator, 36.

Ator was arrested in 2001 for criminal trespass and evading arrest, both misdemeanors, according to public records. Adjudication was deferred, though the details of the case were not immediately available. His record also includes a 2018 traffic citation for a federal motor carrier safety violation, according to Ector County court records. 

Ator was pulled over by Texas troopers in Midland on Saturday afternoon for failing to use his signal, police said. He then shot at them with what police described as an AR-type weapon and sped away. Driving on streets and the highway, he sprayed bullets randomly at residents and motorists, police said. 

The man then hijacked a postal truck and ditched his gold Honda, shooting at people as he made his way into Odessa about 20 miles away. There, police confronted him in a movie theater parking lot and killed him in a shootout.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01/us/odessa-texas-shooting-sunday/index.html

Edited by Mockingbird

Another missed opportunity to intervene,

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/west-texas-shooting-odessa-midland/index.html

>

A neighbor of the west Texas shooter says the 36-year-old came up to her house last month with a big rifle and yelled at her for leaving trash in a nearby dumpster.

>

Alonzo said she called police after the incident last month, but that they had never responded because the location of the property does not show up on GPS and is difficult to find.

Alonzo said that the shooter’s home had no running water or electricity. She said she saw him sitting in his gold Toyota Camry with the heat on when the weather was cold.

>

10 hours ago, DocM said:

*chortle* I’m sure she saw him with the heat on. 🙄 Not unless she was in that car she didn’t. Wonder if that was reporting embellishment or she is just as loony?

11 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

*chortle* I’m sure she saw him with the heat on. 🙄 Not unless she was in that car she didn’t. Wonder if that was reporting embellishment or she is just as loony?

Or, more likely, he was in a downward spiral, she's telling the truth, and the cops need a map of their jurisdiction. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/02/police-unsure-man-went-west-texas-shooting-rampage/40062985/

FBI: West Texas gunman 'was on a long spiral of going down'

Odessa, Texas – The gunman in a West Texas rampage “was on a long spiral of going down” and had been fired from his oil services job the morning he killed seven people, calling 911 both before and after the shooting began, authorities said Monday.

>

FBI special agent Christopher Combs said Ator called the agency’s tip line as well as local police dispatch on Saturday after being fired from Journey Oilfield Services, making “rambling statements about some of the atrocities that he felt that he had gone through.”

“He was on a long spiral of going down,” Combs said. “He didn’t wake up Saturday morning and walk into his company and then it happened. He went to that company in trouble.”

>

Combs said Ator “showed up to work enraged” but did not point to any specific source of his anger. But Combs described Ator’s home on the outskirts of Odessa as a “strange residence” that reflected “what his mental state was going into this.” Combs said he did not know whether Ator had been diagnosed with any prior mental health problems.

>

'nuff said.

Edited by DocM

54 minutes ago, DocM said:

Or, more likely, he was in a downward spiral, she's telling the truth, and the cops need a map of their jurisdiction. 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/02/police-unsure-man-went-west-texas-shooting-rampage/40062985/

'nuff said.

Really? Can you see whether someone has the heat on in their car from a distance too? LOL.

I mean, total woosh, right over your head....

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Really? Can you see whether someone has the heat on in their car from a distance too? LOL.

Also, since when does having the heat on mean you're nuts?  My wife used to have the heat on, and wrap up warm, when it was so warm I was melting just in shorts...

4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Also, since when does having the heat on mean you're nuts?  My wife used to have the heat on, and wrap up warm, when it was so warm I was melting just in shorts...

I also bet nobody could actually tell they had the heat on from a distance. 😁

6 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Totally ignoring what I'd quoted

A neighbor of the west Texas shooter says the 36-year-old came up to her house last month with a big rifle and yelled at her for leaving trash in a nearby dumpster.

Not at all a warning sign 🙄

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

3 hours ago, DocM said:

Totally ignoring what I'd quoted

Not at all a warning sign 🙄

I asked a specific question about part of which you quoted. Did you not read it before quoting? 

Did I say the guy wasn’t a nut? Did invalidate that claim in any way? Or was I instead commenting on the reporting of a ridiculous claim, wondering if it was actually said (which is nutty in itself), or reporting embellishment. Because they never do that right?

Like I said, woosh! I’ll go at a slower speed for ya next time. 

Because he failed a background check.... 

Wake up America, fix your ****. 

So it turns out, a background check DID prevent him from purchasing a gun, until he went private and didn't need to get one.. 

How about this, make background checks mandatory to sell firearms. Period. No loopholes. 

Logic. 

Who am I kidding, Americans don't want logical solutions. 

• Like 2

West Texas shooter bought gun in private sale, which doesn't require a background check

(CNN)---The West Texas man who killed seven people and wounded 25 in a shooting rampage bought his gun in a private sale, which doesn't require a background check, a law enforcement official told CNN.

Police have described the firearm Seth Ator, 36, used in Saturday's killing spree in and around Odessa, Texas, as an AR-15-style rifle

Ator tried to buy a firearm on January 14, 2014, but wasn't allowed to, the Texas Department of Public Safety told CNN in an email

The department is prohibited by law from disclosing the reason he was denied the purchase, the DPS said.

Ator failed a background check when he applied to get a gun, a representative for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said Monday, without giving details.

The ATF, the FBI and the DPS are "aggressively following up on" the source that supplied the firearm to Ator, the ATF representative said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/us/west-texas-shooter-gun/index.html

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, wakjak said:

Because he failed a background check.... 

Wake up America, fix your ****. 

So it turns out, a background check DID prevent him from purchasing a gun, until he went private and didn't need to get one.. 

How about this, make background checks mandatory to sell firearms. Period. No loopholes. 

Logic. 

Who am I kidding, Americans don't want logical solutions. 

You don't understand.

The NRA/Republicans represent gun manufacturers.

More gun sales = more $$$

Gun manufacturers don't care about who buy the guns.

Money from a mentally ill person is just as good money from anyone else.

3 hours ago, wakjak said:

You know it's bad when you lose Walmart of all places.

Unless they got rid of all firearms and ammunition, they didn’t lose anyone and this is a publicity stunt. Especially since all initial reports say that they are prohibiting just open carry. Well that takes care of all the concealed carry 😂 When it comes to a choice, I think I rather it be shown so I know who to watch and be weary of instead of a surprise.