DisplayPort: bastard lovechild of VESA? Or just misunderstood by Microsoft, me?

Dual Dells, one a 4k and the other a 1440p. Both connected to a Quadro card, Windows 1903. Never had this issue.

Just tried again. Powered off one monitor, icons all move to the one powered on. Locked the PC. Powered back on the monitor which was previously off, logged in, icons are correctly displayed as I originally had them, split across both monitors.

Edit: Both connected via DP.

Edited by jasondefaoite

3 hours ago, Steven P. said:

Chill dude 😛

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

You too. ❤️

Your both pretty chill dudes, now shaddup with the rubbish.

Actually @Steven P.what applications do you have running in the background, there are some that sometimes keep my monitor from entering into power save mode when it's locked.  Actually seems to be anything that deals with video / animation that does it for me, if I leave discord open and on the "main screen" it prevents my system from auto locking and going to power save.

Also I've seen this issue before, but not with DP/HDMI, it was with VGA/DVI 😛 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

Your both pretty chill dudes, now shaddup with the rubbish.

Actually @Steven P.what applications do you have running in the background, there are some that sometimes keep my monitor from entering into power save mode when it's locked.  Actually seems to be anything that deals with video / animation that does it for me, if I leave discord open and on the "main screen" it prevents my system from auto locking and going to power save.

Also I've seen this issue before, but not with DP/HDMI, it was with VGA/DVI 😛 

:rofl: Yes it is powercfg /requests in the command prompt, but oftentimes it won't be anything at all.

Right now I am casting to my TV.

SNAG-0012.png

On 10/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, adrynalyne said:

what a bunch of rubbish. Ok I’m done. 🤪

Riiiiiight. 

Soo you're telling me both my work setup and home setup which both have 3 x DisplayPort monitors, all the same models, doesn't remember my window positioning? Guess I must be imagining that Outlook opens on the far left one each time...

non-descriptive "High Definition Audio" device is a missing driver linked to video card.

I have 3 displayport monitors at work, and they work expactly the same as any HDMI display. nothing to do with displayport. 

On 10/13/2019 at 4:13 PM, adrynalyne said:

It doesn’t happen to everyone, yet is a DP flaw? 🧐

I have a 2 monitor setup, both DP connections from the graphics card to the monitors.  I've never had an issue with Windows 10 moving my windows around or messing with my audio devices.  Who knows.  🤷‍♂️

you jinxed me Steve...

I had this happen to me on my two screen (Dell U2518's) setup at work... this morning.... had a bunch of windows open on both... turned them on in a different order and boom all on one side...

Things worth noting:

There are multiple versions of Displayport

There is a firmware update for Displayport on NV 10 series cards

It is completely plausible for someone to have issues someone else isn't having, or monitors to have issues others don't have.

1 hour ago, Jared- said:

Riiiiiight. 

Soo you're telling me both my work setup and home setup which both have 3 x DisplayPort monitors, all the same models, doesn't remember my window positioning? Guess I must be imagining that Outlook opens on the far left one each time...

Woosh. 

After some more searching online I have learned that displayport cables that have pin 20 enabled/connected can cause all sorts of GPU power related issues: http://monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html and:

I have no idea if my DP cables are like that, all I know is that I was refunded for a Club 3d DP cable (ordered from Amazon) because it was faulty and I ended up ordering a cheap replacement. It seems that a lot of these companies that make the cables don't always bother about proper spec, which is why some manufacturers now actually disclose if pin 20 is connected or not https://www.delock.com/produkt/82771/merkmale.html anyway to be on the safe side I ordered two.

SNAG-0002.png

I have no idea if this will solve my issue or not, but hopefully it will. It does make sense that power is still being transmitted somehow (with the backlight staying on) if pin 20 is connected and causing anomalies. 

So really, it is still the hardware companies dropping the ball. It feels exactly like how cheap LCD TVs are marketed as "LED" TVs, yes technically they are because it has a LED backlight :rolleyes:  but it isn't the €1500+ LED (OLED, QLED) type you thought it was.

57 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

After some more searching online I have learned that displayport cables that have pin 20 enabled/connected can cause all sorts of GPU power related issues: http://monitorinsider.com/displayport/dp_pin20_controversy.html and:

<snip>

I have no idea if my DP cables are like that, all I know is that I was refunded for a Club 3d DP cable (ordered from Amazon) because it was faulty and I ended up ordering a cheap replacement. It seems that a lot of these companies that make the cables don't always bother about proper spec, which is why some manufacturers now actually disclose if pin 20 is connected or not https://www.delock.com/produkt/82771/merkmale.html anyway to be on the safe side I ordered two.

<snip>

I have no idea if this will solve my issue or not, but hopefully it will. It does make sense that power is still being transmitted somehow (with the backlight staying on) if pin 20 is connected and causing anomalies. 

So really, it is still the hardware companies dropping the ball. It feels exactly like how cheap LCD TVs are marketed as "LED" TVs, yes technically they are because it has a LED backlight :rolleyes:  but it isn't the €1500+ LED (OLED, QLED) type you thought it was.

Let me know if it works.

Even if it does, I hope it would work with my 1440p144 HDR monitor :/

8 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Let me know if it works.

Even if it does, I hope it would work with my 1440p144 HDR monitor :/

A crap cable is going to possibly damage the GPU before it does anything with the screen. That's why I am not taking any chances with my new KFA2 RTX 2070 Super card 😛 The cables I ordered are 1.2 spec which is fine for that, mine is QHD (1440p) 144Hz GSync.

@Elliot B. I have connected the new cables and the backlight disabled properly when entering power save mode (locking my PC) since that also happened sometimes, but not always, it will require further testing.

• 4 months later...

I just installed HWiNFO and noticed something about my two displays:

eb_monitordpsleep-2.thumb.png.1961968d2e1c6693f7b82ec050d055d7.png

It appears my older display (AOC Q2577PWQ, built late 2016) doesn't support the Standby nor Suspend features of the DPMS specification.

Whereas my newer one (Gigabyte AD27QD, built late 2018) does!

I imagine, if both supported both features, I wouldn't get this window-shifting each time the system timed the displays into sleep mode.

Edited by Elliot B.
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Sorry to revive this old thread but there's a newer and better fork of PersistentWindows here:
https://github.com/kangyu-california/PersistentWindows/releases/tag/4.36

Now, Window Layout Backup/WindowsLayoutSnapshot  and PersistentWindows together can totally keep all window positions and sizes in control - whether it's some fullscreen game that messes them up or multiple monitors connecting and disconnecting.

This fork of PersistentWindows has nice useful switches like -splash_off -notification_on -fix_zorder -redraw_desktop.

I have three Dell 30" monitors running display port and one running Dual Link DVI. All windows are remembered via sleep, power on, etc. Even the screen I last opened them on if I left them open on a reboot. I am also running a 1070 Nvidia card. Seems like a hardware issue. I am on stock windows 10 latest 2004 build and on all insiders worked fine as well.

57253370_10157111557809556_5464696497989746688_o.thumb.jpg.bca743c4c4590bd3d59eca26a9e36316.jpg

• 7 months later...

"If you are a multi-monitor user that uses DisplayPort connected monitors with Windows 10 you might have been a bit irked by the way the setup works, especially when it wakes from sleep. Now Microsoft has revealed that it has been working on this problem, and a solution is available to Insiders in OS build 21287 or above."

Source: https://hexus.net/tech/news/monitors/147752-microsoft-fixes-unwanted-desktop-rearrangements/ (posted April 30, 2021)

Haven't caught up on the entire thread but this is a major issue ive been dealing with in Windows since 8 and I didnt run 8 for very long. In 10 its been a issue for me since release.

What fixed it for me was disabling DIsplayport sleep via RegEdit. For the audio, permanently disabling it via sound control panel work for me as long as the UUID of the monitor didnt change (which it shouldnt) but I also went the extra mile and found the reg keys to do the same.

Here's a link i found quick, its not the one I used but when I have access to my evernote ill share the exact steps i followed for both.

For the displayport audio if you google it youll find plenty of ways to disable it permanently. My fix above should work for you but the direct route of disabling it depending on video driver also works better for some people.

Hopefully this helps you! Its a big issue they still havent fixed

I've always had this issue with various Dell monitors connected by DisplayPort, it's really annoying and if they fix that in the new builds it'll be great. If I disable MST in the Dell monitor settings it prevents it from happening, but then you lose the ability to daisy chain.

On 01/05/2021 at 20:46, Elliot B. said:

"If you are a multi-monitor user that uses DisplayPort connected monitors with Windows 10 you might have been a bit irked by the way the setup works, especially when it wakes from sleep. Now Microsoft has revealed that it has been working on this problem, and a solution is available to Insiders in OS build 21287 or above."

Source: https://hexus.net/tech/news/monitors/147752-microsoft-fixes-unwanted-desktop-rearrangements/ (posted April 30, 2021)

So far, so good! It appears to work perfectly here on build 21359!

After years and years of the issue, it's nice to see it fixed!

• Like 2